Run Tom, run: Peabody needs Walsh on Beacon Hill

29 Sep

If you know him, call him. If you see him on the street, encourage him.

Tom Walsh for State Rep

Tom Walsh for State Rep

Peabody needs Councilor At-Large Tom Walsh to run in the soon-to-be-announced special election for State Rep in the 12th Essex District.

Since the passing of Joyce Spiliotis three years ago, Peabody has struggled when it comes to getting the assistance and resources it needs from the State Legislature. But Tom Walsh would not be a back-bencher. He would not quit in mid-term. He would give Peabody what it needs in the Great and General Court:

No offense to announced Republican candidate Jaclyn Corriveau, who I feel is smart and has a bright political future in Peabody, but Walsh has way more experience and would be way more effective at this stage on Beacon Hill.

No thanks to announced Republican candidate Stephanie Peach, the former aide to Rep Leah Cole. Cole is causing Peabody to go without representation in the House for the next six months, and is costing taxpayers the price of yet another special election. Cole quits at mid-term and her aide Peach takes over? Fool us once, shame on you, fool us twice . . .

And no way to perennial State Rep candidate Jim Moutsoulas. Hey Demo, how about concentrating on doing the job of Ward 3 Councilor a few more years, and then calling it career.

Tom Walsh, Peabody’s former State Rep, who then did an outstanding job as a school committee member, and now Councilor At-Large is what Peabody needs.

He has the experience, and he’s a responsible adult.  He gets it. Like the late-great Spiliotis, he knows what is required to give Peabody the representation it needs now more than ever.

So … call him, encourage him. Tell Tom Walsh that we need him on Beacon Hill.

32 Responses to “Run Tom, run: Peabody needs Walsh on Beacon Hill”

1. Anonymous September 29, 2015 at 10:32 am #

Nicely Done Bob!

2. Anonymous September 29, 2015 at 10:50 am #

Hard to disagree here Bob! Tom is a really dedicated public servant who would do an excellent job as rep. I know Ms. Corriveau and it is admirable that a young person is so involved. I would vote for Jaclyn if she was running for school committe or city council but I am afraid that I could not vote for her against someone as experienced as Tom Walsh.

Ms. Peach is not deserving of our vote considering her former boss Cole basically gave up. I am betting too that the two of them have been plotting for a while to get her the job when Cole stepped down. And forget about Demo. He is a joke who is lucky no one other than him wants the Ward 3 job.

Run Tom RUN! You will win in a landslide!!!!!!!!!!!1

3. Lynda September 29, 2015 at 11:12 am #

If memory serves, didn’t he have an ethics violation in the nineties? Would this affect how he would be received by voters and colleagues? Otherwise, he seems to be a strong candidate.

• Bob Croce September 29, 2015 at 11:48 am #

I’m sure, if he runs, Tom will need to face that head on, Linda. But here’s what I know:

Along with several members of the House, he made a mistake by getting involved with former corrupt Speaker Charlie Flaherty back in the late 1980s. Walsh was a young, impressionable state rep at the time, and what he did was commit a very minor ethics violation (taking of some gifts) compared to what others have done and are still doing.

It was a minor violation for which Tom Walsh paid a major price. It forced him to not run for re-election, and retire from politics. Had he not retired from politics, I feel strongly that Tom would have at least been Mayor right now, or maybe even in Congress. And, by the way, he was never charged with any crimes in this matter.

Thinking back to some of the dumb things I personally did as a twentysomething, I’ve come to really forgive Tom Walsh for his minor indiscretion, and respect how he did the right thing to make amends. It’s pretty easy for a young person to be swayed by powerful figures, whether it be in politics or business. Ironically, it’s one of the big reasons why I don’t feel either Corriveau or Peach are the right choice here. Not saying they would be corrupt, but certainly I’d be leery of them being able to remain independent when it comes to Republican leadership on the Hill. Joyce was a Democrat, but Joyce — because of her experience and wisdom — NEVER allowed herself to be influenced by anything other than the wishes of her constituents. I believe that Tom Walsh would be the same way

From everything I can gather, Tom has been a model elected official since beginning his comeback on the School Committee, and then continuing on the Council the past 15 years. I feel that he’s an outstanding husband and dad, and a really good citizen.

• Time to move on September 29, 2015 at 12:03 pm #

Right on, Bob! I feel the same way you do here. Tom has been a model public servant for the last 15 years and deserves another shot at Beacon Hill. What he did does not deserve a political version of the death penalty so let his opponents bring it up. Best thing Tom can do is face it head on and move on. Peabody doesn’t care about this anymore. The people have elected and re-elected him citywide something like four or five times since then.

• Lynda September 29, 2015 at 12:29 pm #

I’m not in that disctrict, but I feel like he should probably bring this forward and be honest with the public if he does decide to run.

• Bob Croce September 29, 2015 at 1:17 pm #

I agree, Lynda. Face it head on. Most reasonable people, who aren’t biased by their ideology or ambition, won’t feel this is a big deal at all. They’ll judge Councilor Walsh on his qualifications and what he’s done since his last stint on Beacon Hill.

• Just Thinking September 29, 2015 at 12:03 pm #

Lynda, You are correct. Not worry he won’t get caught again. After all (to quote the publisher of this blog).
      “A mature adult, who would command respect from the leadership on Beacon Hill, and use his experience and intelligence as an elected official to help Peabody get the local aid it needs, and constituents get the help and services they desire.”

My interpretation: Tom learned from his errs and won’t be caught again.

See link below:

Peabody voters gave Tom a shot in state government (1987-1994).

HE BLEW IT!!

Give him two more terms as state rep. and maybe he will qualify for a state pension (state income tax FREE) and health care benefits for life! More DOUBLE DIPPING on the public pensions!

This reminds me of Billy Bulger. former chancellor of U-Mass. He is retired living large on the Massachusetts taxpayers’ dime. I suggest everyone see “Black Mass” now playing at your local cinema.

Will history repeat itself?

Democrats are not dumb! Just GREEDY.

Maybe the democrats know something we, the voters, don’t.

Voters are DUMB and DUMBER.

• LOL!!! September 29, 2015 at 12:12 pm #

Wow! You mean he took some free tickets to a Bruins game 20 years ago! I say put him in prison and throw away the key! Just Thinking sounds like a sour old angry Republican.

• Bob Croce September 29, 2015 at 12:17 pm #

Just Thinking, thanks for posting that link. I think it totally makes my point that these violations were — at best — total misdemeanors. Bruins and Celtics tickets, and then a couple of free dinners? Yup, that’s against the rules, but it doesn’t exactly make Tom Walsh look like Billy Bulger. Even the State Ethics Commission thought it only worthy of a smallish fine.

The guy has served his community very well the past 15 years. I know you would rather have a Republican in that seat, even if that Republican was totally unqualified. But how about — for once — thinking about what’s best for Peabody instead of what’s best for your personal political ideology?

• Anonymous September 29, 2015 at 2:30 pm #

I have to agree with “just thinking”. How do we know there was true change in someone’s judgment and decision making with regards to potential conflicts of interest. A reasonable person should have figured out or have understood the purpose of the gifts. It was obviously not out of the goodness of their hearts. I had never heard about this…Most likely because I will still in school and not focused on politics at the time. It was a long time ago but it definitely should play a part in the decision making of whether or not he is truly not that same person.

• Mcburnie2851 September 29, 2015 at 3:39 pm #

DUMB AND DUMBER?

Please leave the school committee out of this!!!

They are working to hard for their $6000 salary and don’t forget FULL health benefits.

4. ABCDF September 29, 2015 at 12:02 pm #

Mr. Croce,
    What grade would you give Ms. Cole’s tenure in office as the state rep for Peabody? Obviously an F or Inc. because of the resignation, but aside from the resignation how would you say she did?

• Bob Croce September 29, 2015 at 12:09 pm #

Grades are too subjective. Let’s just say that I feel Ms. Cole’s tenure in office was indistinguishable. No real damage done, but no significant accomplishments either.

5. Anon September 29, 2015 at 3:01 pm #

Bob Croce,

By your logic re-instate and REWARD a past state rep. for his indiscretions. No one else is qualified or deserving of the position. Remember, before Tom was elected state rep. he was a city official, fully aware of the public ethics requirements (HE was not a Newbie). And he was SWORN into office to obey all state laws. Yet, YOU as a democrat, as ALL democrats will give him a pass. I guess Tom is the “only qualified candidate” by your democratic standards (Corruption Inc.)

Again, you democrats make Whitey, Billy Bulger and Ted Kennedy (remember Chappaquiddick) PROUD!
    Blame everything on the republicans!!
    Just like Obama, It’s George’s fault.

Peabody Democratic SPIN DOCTORS in action!

• Bob Croce September 29, 2015 at 3:51 pm #

Hey, some people commit crimes and some make regretful mistakes. I’m a human being, I’m fallible just like everyone. I’m not going to judge and want someone vanquished or destroyed just because they had a minor error in judgment when they were in their 20s. I look at what people became, and not what they once were. We all grow and learn from mistakes.

I’m also not a hater. That’s a role for Republicans. 🙂

By the way, for all of his foibles, Ted Kennedy was an OUTSTANDING US Senator when it came to bringing home the bacon for Massachusetts. He also had tremendous constituent services, which to me is really the most-important trait an elected official can have.

6. Lynnsidegal September 29, 2015 at 3:34 pm #

Bob,
    Second most intelligent thing you said on this blog is regarding Walsh.
    (first was exposing that fraud School Committee and the cowardly lion mayor)

Walsh is the ONLY candidate that can do that job and has the passion and best interest of the city at heart.

Can’t be Mr. Mint Mocha Chip
    Or
    Annie
    Or
    Beverly three times a charm ” I just want to be popular”

Walsh’s biggest issue is not going to be he went to a celtics game in 1995 ( to see the celtics?)
    His issue is going to be to get to local politicians to cooperate with him….. He is the only guy that can do it.

The city is going broke with that new middle school… someone needs to watch this.

go get em Bob…..

• Bob Croce September 29, 2015 at 3:56 pm #

Gal, if most of Peabody’s elected officials get behind Tom Walsh, the special election won’t even be close.

Don’t forget that the major reason why Leah Cole won in that other special election was because Peabody’s political players allowed themselves to be splintered. If Dave Grave didn’t run, Dunne would have won easily. If Dunne didn’t run, Gravel wins easily. No one with any intelligence at all would deny that.

You would hope that Peabody’s Democrats have learned their lesson, and that this time things will be different. But … you never know.

• Lol September 29, 2015 at 4:08 pm #

What happened in 2014? Was that another fluke election that allowed Leah to victory over the beloved Bev?

• Bob Croce September 29, 2015 at 4:10 pm #

Nope. Dunne got beat fair and square in 2014. That still doesn’t change the fact that Leah Cole would have lost VERY badly had Gravel and Dunne not each run in the special election. But it does look like we were all right from the beginning as far as how effective Leah was going to be as rep. So, it is sort of a “told you so” situation. Don’t you think?

7. Anon September 29, 2015 at 4:19 pm #

Who’s we? You have a mouse in your pocket?

8. Anonymous September 29, 2015 at 4:51 pm #

The Republican candidates know this tactic of running down Mr. Walsh is there only hope and it is a very slim one if Tom decides to run. By the way I think ALL of this hate is coming from the Peach campaign, since Jaclyn wouldn’t play it that way. This is why I hope Ms. Corriveau, who is a commonsene moderate Republican beats this very angry and VERY right wing Peach woman.

• JOE September 30, 2015 at 8:31 am #

I have known Stephanie Close Peach since she was 5 years old. Stephanie is the most sincere honest person I have ever know. She is an educated mature woman who cares about the issues that the people of Peabody care about the most. She has a Bachelors Degree fom Westfield State in Political Science and a Masters Degree in Public Administration. To assume that hate is coming from her campaign is irresponsible and you honestly know nothing about her.

9. Keep nuts out of office September 29, 2015 at 5:19 pm #

Peach invited a guy named Larry Mirra to her fundraiser last night. He’s the Woburn State Rep and he’s so far right that he would fit right in with guys like that loon Ted Cruz. This is what Miss Peach is all about.

• Anon September 29, 2015 at 5:55 pm #

The loonies are the Massachusetts democrats. Haven’t they been watching the state and federal elections? “We” elected a republican governor and Hillary is losing her “charm”.

Keep SPINNING Bob. Heads up to the state Ethics Committee. He’s coming back!
      Fool me once Shame on me. You know the rest.
      What is the recidivism rate of corrupt politicians? If Tom was a republican would you be so forgiving? I think not. Billy Bulger was never convicted. Can you name the last three speakers of the statehouse? Where are they now? All Democrats.

If the Best we have in Peabody is Walsh, we are in trouble.

Democrats keep feeding off the public trough.

The former head of the Peabody Housing Authority was a great guy too. How else did he get that cushy job.
      Where is he?

• Bob Croce September 29, 2015 at 6:11 pm #

But Anon, I don’t care if they are a D or and R, just as long as they can get Peabody what it needs from Beacon Hill. We got very little benefit the past almost three years by having a back-bencher member of the minority party represent us. Hate to say I told you so, but … I was right all along here. So … why would we want to make the same mistake again? Are party politics that important? I don’t think so.

Joyce never cared about anything OTHER than those she represented. Unlike, Ms. Cole, Joyce never got hung up in ideology. And I think Tom Walsh would be Joyce-like.

• Lol September 29, 2015 at 6:09 pm #

Larry Mirra from Woburn? I’ve never heard of him and I cosndier myself politically savvy.

10. Anonymous September 29, 2015 at 8:13 pm #

Tom may be a nice guy but after watching his first term on the council whats has he done? He does whatever Bettencourt wants him to do here in Teddyville. You say Leah didnt accomplish anything. Whats Walsh done but brown nose the mayor and the ice cream man.. Where’s the beef? How about saying no to Beverly Dunne and the tax and spend school commiteee. Spend Spend spend. Tom has voted for every tax increase along the way. If your going to vote for Walsh for state rep you might as well vote for the pastry chef in ward four. I don’t see the difference between the two except for maybe 150 pounds…..

• anon October 6, 2015 at 10:44 am #

Tom basically does what he is told. He was Torigian’s lap dog on the SC years ago along with Gravel and Borin, and it sounds like he is Bettencourt’s now. Nice guy, but he is what he is.

11. ann September 29, 2015 at 9:42 pm #

Bob. I was going to stay out of this but you brought up Sen Kennedy and made it sound like he too took “gifts” Sen Kennedy had many, many personal issue & many took issuse with him but the one thing all agreed on HE TOOK NOTHING for himself! Weather or not your friend, Tom, would make a good Rep again doesnt change the facts that he was guilty of an eithics violatin and there are no LITTLE violatins. They are a breach of the public trust- OUR TRUST! I have nothing against Tom Walsh but lets not make him out to be a saint. What you seem to still not see is Rep Cole’s appeal is she was NOT one of “the boys.” The same crew of school comm members that move on to the city council and then hope to be mayor or rep. She was a new voice in a city that needs to move forward. Funny Joyce was never one of the boys either and look how well she did for Peabody.

• Bob Croce September 29, 2015 at 10:13 pm #

I never said Senator Kennedy “took gifts.” I actually complimented him for his abilities when it came to getting things for MA and his constituent services. What are you talking about, Annie? Rep Cole’s gender had nothing to do with her ineffectiveness as a rep. She was ineffective mainly because she was a back bencher and member of the minority party on Beacon Hill. I said here in this blog — from the beginning — that this is what would happen. Turns out I was 100% correct, and had she been 24 and MALE at the time she took office, I would have said the EXACT same things. Her time in the State House was neither memorable, nor significant. She didn’t do any harm to Peabody, but she also didn’t help us much.

12. Peabody Voter November 7, 2015 at 10:12 am #

It’s official Tom is running!