Pipeline would cause neighborhood disruption, put bike way out of commission

15 Apr

The new gas pipeline will put the bike path out of commission for almost two years

Details of this are just emerging, but The Eye has learned that the Tennessee Gas Pipeline Company plans next year to upgrade/replace its Northeast Energy Direct Lines, which run straight through Peabody.

This will not only cause disruption in Peabody’s neighborhoods, but also put the Independence Greeway (aka the bike path) out of commission for almost two years. The replacement gas line will follow the current one, which is under the bike path, but also close to many residential neighborhoods.

There also could be a negative impact on what is a fairly pristine environment along the bikeway.

The project will start at the Middleton line, and work it’s way toward Crystal Lake.

If any of our readers have more information, please share in the comments section.

Stay tuned her for more details as they emerge, but this definitely looks like a project that will have a negative effect on quality of life for a long time to come.

16 Responses to “Pipeline would cause neighborhood disruption, put bike way out of commission”

1. Anon2 April 15, 2015 at 5:16 pm #

Bob,
    Welcome to P e a B od y !!!

2. Oh yah? April 15, 2015 at 5:29 pm #

Does the Eye have a link to the source of their information? or are they just spitballing here?

• Bob Croce April 15, 2015 at 5:53 pm #

I don’t know what “spitballing” means. But our source here is pretty solid: the gas company itself.

3. The General April 15, 2015 at 5:47 pm #

While this project will change quality of life for many, will it bring in new revenue which I recall the Eye on Peabody community has been advocating and searching for ways to increase revenues in Peabody?

• Bob Croce April 15, 2015 at 5:52 pm #

General. I don’t know if it will bring in revenue for Peabody, but I doubt it. If anyone knows, they should post a comment. But also, we should NEVER sacrifice quality of life for revenue. Never.

4. Anon April 15, 2015 at 6:22 pm #

We can’t stop this project but together we can ask that they explore alternatives – through wetlands (they dropped a 30″ pipe through wetlands a few years ago & moved vernal pools, relocated wildlife etc. You wouldn’t know it was ever done), alongside the bikepath etc. Barring alternatives and knowing that they are going to make billions, we (the city) can make sure they put the bikepath back so it’s at least as good as, if not better than, it is now and ask for improvements in other areas. Keep your eyes & ears on legal notices & go to he public hearings. This will also be discussed at Council & Conservation Committee meetings at the least.

5. redel17 April 15, 2015 at 6:22 pm #

Bob – Thanks for posting this – First I had heard of it. I am a frequent rider along the Ross Park > Middleton pathway and am so grateful to the wonderful organizers,developers, builders, and maintainers of this beautiful multi-purpose trail. Please keep us posted on future developments and especially any public meetings or hearings.

• Bob Croce April 15, 2015 at 6:29 pm #

You’re welcome. I’ll do my best. I use that section of the path all of the time too. Makes me wonder also how this project might affect the Crystal Lake revitalization project. A big section of the bikeway passes within feet of the lake.

• anonymous April 15, 2015 at 6:33 pm #

Anyone know if there is a map available that shows the actual route of this pipeline?

• Bob Croce April 15, 2015 at 6:40 pm #

There are some details here, but they’re very high level. The map they have now isn’t specific, but it will replace the current pipeline, which is right next to the bikeway: http://www.kindermorgan.com/pages/business/gas_pipelines/east/neenergydirect/

• Steve April 15, 2015 at 8:06 pm #

So if it is replacing the current pipeline, It could possibly make it safer. Meaning improving quality of live in the future even if it means 2 years of not so good quality of life. If it has better long term effects than the current pipeline and will bring some money to the city, then I’m listening..

6. Walter Booth April 15, 2015 at 7:26 pm #

Not happy to see this. This is all news to me.I’m the owner and operator of the FaceBook page “forum” Friends of Peabody Independence Green Way Bike Path. Followers are now talking about this. Please keep us in the loop on this subject.

7. Anon2 April 16, 2015 at 11:36 am #

Don’t know if this is just re-hashing an old story about the gas lines thru Peabody but I recall PMLP talking about hooking up to the “new” gas lines etc. This goes back to the Bonfanti’s era. Peabody has floods both natural and man-made. Guess it is time for the Fires. Bring on the pestilences.

Competence is what Peabody needs most. Right now we have “Murphy’s Law”

Murphy’s law is an adage or epigram that is typically stated as: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

8. Anonymous April 16, 2015 at 2:09 pm #

First thing that path was built where the old train tracks were I don’t think there was a gas line under the tracks. Second in the original post you say the pipe is under and now you say next too which one is it. I will bet you they will find a way to do this section by section and not close the entire bike path for 2 years. Work will be performed week days from 7 to 3 most likely, although it will effect some the busier times on the path are after those hours and weekends. Chances are they will not get close to the lake while the dredging project is going on. I think it was to early to report on this it seems like you don’t have enough details to report with any certainty.

• Bob Croce April 16, 2015 at 2:27 pm #

I never said it was under the path. It’s next to the bikeway and crosses the path in three different spots. See the my latest post. So what are you saying? We should trust this gigantic energy company to do whatever it cans to ensure that it won’t affect quality of life of residents?

Yeah, right, that should work. 🙂

By the way, the reason we don’t have a lot of details is because Kinder Morgan and the city is not telling people anything. There are questions like crazy. Sounds like maybe you work for this giant gas conglomerate?

9. Barbara Guillette April 16, 2015 at 6:31 pm #

I think there was talk of having the pipeline go along the ocean rather than through town, oh well to late now. I really felt uncomfortable about it, it isn’t buried to deep, a rifle could access it and it goes around liberty tree?
    I wouldn’t protest an upgrade, I think it’s high pressure gas? Like the golf course covering up our mistakes,
    Oh well maybe In the next life!
    Oh yes revenue how about overhead!