Moulton: It’s not about Democrats or Republicans, it’s about We The People

4 Oct

There’s a line at the end of a recent article in the Newburyport Daily News that caught my attention, and made me again feel that Seth Moulton is the most-impressive local candidate for office I can recall in my lifetime.

Seth Moulton

Seth Moulton

The article was from coverage of a Greater Newburyport Chamber of Commerce event, and during his speech Moulton recalled something that stuck with him after meeting an elderly voter at the Agawam Diner in Rowley.

“My host took me over to an older gentleman who has met many, many candidates over the years,” Moulton recalled during his speech.

“He told me, ‘Don’t go down there (to Washington) as a Democrat or as a Republican. Go as an American.’ And that’s what I will do if elected.”

If you’re reading this right now, and don’t find that refreshing, my only guess would be that you’re so caught up in either your own far left or far right ideology that you have lost sight of what government should be there to do for us.

Doing the business of people isn’t about ideology and obstructionism. It’s about being pragmatic, and ensuring that all Americans are allowed their own pursuit of happiness.

No pragmatic American wants the government to be interfering with every aspect of their lives. But at the same time, unless you simply don’t care about other people, we understand that it’s necessary for our society to take care of those who truly can’t take care of themselves.

No pragmatic American wants the government starting wars over the interests of multi-national corporations. But, unless you insanely think that terrorists can be negotiated with, then you understand that America needs to use its military to fight tyranny wherever it exists, and make our homeland safe.

No pragmatic American really wants to see every illegal immigrant, many of whom are working menial jobs just to make a few bucks to send back home, arrested and thrown in chains. But every American should care about securing our border, and about ensuring that our tax dollars are not being gobbled by illegal immigrant welfare cheats with multiple EBT cards.

I could go on, but I won’t, other than to say that I feel strongly that people want a government that works so well that you hardly even notice it’s there.

Elected officials shouldn’t tax us to death, and be wasteful in their spending.  But we get it too. Taxes as necessary when it comes to providing for a national defense, ensuring that our roads and bridges are safe, and taking care of people who truly can’t do it on their own. Taxes are necessary in a civilized society.

Federally elected officials also need to leave us alone locally when it comes to public education, and stop fighting old battles, on the left and the right, when it comes to social issues such as same-sex marriage and abortion.

Personally, I’m opposed to abortion, but I also believe that a women’s right to choose should never be taken away.

Personally, I feel that government should leave “marriage” to religious institutions. Yet, I also feel it’s time for people to stop fighting against same-sex marriage laws. That battle is over, and society has not fallen into an abyss sent from God.

It’s time for commonsense to prevail, and for us to pull together as a society.

It’s time to make government work, and to do so, we need new people in Congress like Seth Moulton. He’s pragmatic and gets it.

It’s not about Democrats. It’s not about Republicans. It’s about elected officials working for We the People.

Well said, Seth.

34 Responses to “Moulton: It’s not about Democrats or Republicans, it’s about We The People”

1. anonymous October 4, 2014 at 2:16 pm #

Then why in one his recent ads was he trying to pin the tea party label on Tisei? When I saw that, all I could think was hypocrite. It also told me who I was voting for.

• Bob Croce October 4, 2014 at 2:38 pm #

I haven’t seen that ad, but post it here if you want. I’m doubtful, though, that Moulton called Tisei a “Tea Party” guy.

• anonymous October 4, 2014 at 2:50 pm #

I just looked for it but couldn’t find it. It may not have been an ad but an interview on the news, but I know I saw it, because I was surprised by it.

• Bob Croce October 4, 2014 at 2:55 pm #

Are you sure he didn’t say something like: “Tisei calls himself a moderate, yet he’ll still vote for Boehner’s agenda?” I can believe that Seth might have said something like that, but clearly that isn’t saying that Richard is with the “Tea Party.”

2. Greg Bunn October 4, 2014 at 7:09 pm #

Bob,

I’m not sure if you’re being truly objective here.

You say that Moulton is the most impressive candidate that you can recall and go on to paint him as a pragmatic and a centrist who won’t get caught up in the left wing / right wing of political ideology, but that is simply not true.

To say that he’s going to go to Washington not as a democrat or republican, but as an American is a nice sound bite, but with Moulton, that’s all it is…a sound bite.

Moulton is a guy who said he just wants to “keep the seat blue,” which is just the sort of partisan talk that he selectively attempts to disown. Richard Tisei has NEVER said this election about “turning this seat red.” or anything like that. This election is about finding a representative for the North Shore who can go to Washington and achieve results for the District and Tisei gets that.

You mentioned the conflict with Isis. Seth Moulton isn’t a centrist on this issue. He is doing his best to convince everyone that he’s a left wing progressive. His first ad after the primary specifically says he doesn’t want to send troops back to Iraq, again, another nice sound bite, but not necessarily good policy. Tisei is the real pragmatic and believes that we need to keep our options open to defeat ISIS. And, in fact, we already have more than 2000 boots on the ground in the form of “advisors”.

Moulton isn’t even remotely a centrist on illegal immigration either. He supports amnesty (calls it path to citizenship, which is the same thing), which unfairly penalizes the millions of people legally waiting to get into the country. Tisei supports legalization.

In fact all the issues and ideal approaches you mention in your article describe Richard Tisei far more accurately than they do Seth Moulton.

So yes Bob, Moulton is someone that may sound like a good candidate when you look at selective sound bites, but when you look at the big picture and everything he has been saying, the truth is he is inconsistent and inexperienced. Much in the same way Barrack Obama may have sounded good as candidate, but was inexperienced and turned out to be less than stellar as President.

• Bob Croce October 4, 2014 at 7:35 pm #

Greg,
      I respect you as a friend, and I respect what you wrote. But I have to disagree, since I feel that Seth Moulton had to do what he had to do during the primary season to appeal to all Democrats. I do believe that Seth is a progressive, and probably more left than me personally on some issues. But I also feel that he’s a pragmatic progressive. He’ll be centrist on many issues once he gets to Congress.

Hey, I didn’t agree with Bill Clinton on some issues, but I still think he turned out to be one of the best presidents we’ve had in my lifetime.

But the big thing here, Greg, is that, I am definitely a Democrat. I’ve been at odds with my political identity for quite a while as my party has been taken over by the far left. But even though I once thought about becoming a Republican, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m definitely more comfortable with a D next to my name. I look at it this way, (and this definitely does not pertain to you or Richard Tisei) Democrats still care about people while most Republicans care only about themselves. I may be a very conservative Dem, but at the end of the day I truly believe that there are people who can’t take care of themselves an we need to assist.

I actually know you feel that way too, Greg, and it’s way I’ll continue to try and persuade you, my friend, to come on over to our side. 🙂

Thanks for the comment. It’s exactly the type of commentary that makes my blog interesting and relevant.

• Greg Bunn October 4, 2014 at 8:06 pm #

Thanks Bob!

That’s why I have a great deal of respect for Richard Tisei, he does care and it would be great to see more republicans like him.

I truly appreciate the forum you provide and the discourse even though we don’t always agree! Though we do more often than not!

• Bob Croce October 4, 2014 at 8:12 pm #

We definitely agree on a lot of things. We’re hopeless moderates who are surrounded by far left and far right ideologues. 🙂

3. the Outfront Guy* October 4, 2014 at 10:51 pm #

OG says….reality check ! Seth Moulton may say that it’s not about Democrats and Republicans but guess what? down in Washington DC that’s all that matter !!! it’s a numbers game in terms of who can be the majority party ..and that is why we have ongoing gridlock….so Seth can spew all he wants about his wonderful pie in the sky ideology but OG just doesn’t see it happening in the real political world that we have today.

• Anonymous October 5, 2014 at 1:10 am #

Before the neo-Tea Party started having clout and electing their radical candidates, is when the gridlock started. There used to be moderate democrats and moderate republicans and they would often vote together. Now, moderate republicans are being edged to the far right because they fear a neo-Tea Party candidate will challenge them in a primary. So.. Gridlock.

Given that there is the tea party wing of the republican party and their influence, I find it difficult to pull the lever for a candidate with an R next to the name.
      Tisei is a republican and will vote the republican leadership way. -dismantle health care, cut medicare funding, continue tax breaks for oil companies and wealthy. Tisei will be powerless and inconsequential, he will not influence the anti-middle class republican agenda at all, and thus a waste of a representative for the Sixth district.

Moulton will stand up to the republican agenda. We need more democrats to fight for the middle class.

• anonymous October 5, 2014 at 8:18 pm #

Oh please. One side is as bad as the other. Republicans have the tea party and the democrats have Reed, Pelosi, Wasserman Schultz, etc. and their propaganda “war on women” and race baiting. Pick your poison. Anyone who votes strictly based on party lines is part of the problem.

4. CommonwealthBayStater October 5, 2014 at 12:34 pm #

If you agree with the following:

1) Not keeping options open about soldiers overseas
    2) Giving amnesty to illegal aliens
    3) Giving taxpayer-funded healthcare and other benefits to illegal aliens
    4) Increasing gun control
    5) Single-payer healthcare
    6) Driver’s licenses for illegal aliens
    7) Global warming/climate change
    8) Increasing the minimum wage
    9) Increasing the federal debt
    10) Federal bailouts
    11) “Investing” (i.e., spending more of your tax $$$) in federal programs

then Seth Moulton is your man.

• Bob Croce October 5, 2014 at 12:56 pm #

I don’t know what you mean by No. 1, and you’ve slanted all of the others to make Seth Moulton look like freaking Bernie Sanders, which is ridiculous. Your comment is laughingly cliche, and right out of the right wing playbook when it comes to describing ALL Democrats.

It would be like me trying to say that ALL Republicans were racist, homophobic, and anti-women. But that would be absurd too.

You’ve commented a lot before CBS, so I know how far right your opinions can be. All I’ll say is that it’s time to start having government work for We the People. Your bizarre right wing agenda doesn’t get that done. But then again, the far left agenda is just as bad.

Try joining us here in the sensible center, where most Americans reside.

I actually feel that both Seth Moulton and Richard Tisei would go to Washington and try to work with the other side. Neither is an extreme ideologue like you CBS.

• CommonwealthBayStater October 5, 2014 at 10:05 pm #

#1 = Moulton does not believe ground troops should be sent to Iraq/Syria to protect us against ISIS, under any circumstances. As to the other points, those are all Moulton’s stated positions, not mine. If those are his stated positions, then how could I be the one slanting them? You are the one not making sense.

• Anonymous October 5, 2014 at 7:38 pm #

Hey Common Baystater. If you take away the illegal immigrant red herrings (3 of the points you make which I agree with), you are left with a bunch of weird agendas that make republicans look real bad.

“1) Not keeping options open about soldiers overseas” what does that mean really? Do you insist that USA be the police enforcer for the world. Do you believe that US soldiers should get killed before Arab soldiers get killed?? Nonsense!

“4) Increasing gun control” – Yeah, I think common sense gun controls like no 40 clip cartridges, yes to criminal background checks, and no to 9 year old girls being allowed to shoot Uzis.

“5) Single-payer healthcare” you mean like medicare which is highly successful and affordable.

“7) Global warming/climate change” – yes, I think there is more pollution causing problems than say… 1492.

“8) Increasing the minimum wage” – let’s see how far you can make a paycheck last on $8.50 an hour, which is a republican guarantee to keep people poor, and by logical extension, advocate for a REDUCTION in the minimum wage so the economy can grow. (what a stupid republican position).

I’ll stop here so you can give the chance for a Republican response. -and don’t fall back on the illegal immigrant stuff, which is a single issue I would agree with, but not enough to outweigh the other points you make.

• CommonwealthBayStater October 6, 2014 at 9:53 am #

The issue of illegal aliens is not a “red herring” distraction or a fallacy. It is a real and major issue of our times.

Regarding our soldiers: When it is in our own interests to stop bad people from harming Americans then, yes, I am for doing whatever is reasonably necessary to do it. Unlike Moulton, I do not flatly discount sending our soldiers wherever in the world they are required to accomplish that goal, with a well thought-out strategy. Others can join us or not, and our leaders should use their diplomacy skills to that end. Protecting our citizens does not always occur on our own soil. Moulton’s position is disturbing and not in line with the fact that elected officials have a primary duty to protect American citizens.

We already have common-sense gun controls in place. Common sense cannot always be legislated. We do not need yet more and more laws, encroaching on Amendment rights. Additionally, no matter how many laws are in place, there are people who do not use their own common sense. Continual legislating/dumbing down for lack of common sense and for stupidity is unreasonable.

The government is not successful in running social welfare programs with our tax dollars. None of the programs are sustainable. All of them have extreme and dire budget shortfalls, fraud, waste, and abuse, which add up to trillions of dollars. Why would I want the government in charge of my healthcare, with resultant layers of bureaucracy, websites that don’t work and that cost billions of dollars to not run/not work, rationing, poor quality, ridiculous waiting times, shortage of doctors, them making the decisions about all aspects of my care instead of me and my doctor making the decisions? Let’s ask the Brits, the Canadians, and the Cubans, for instance, how happy they are with single-payer healthcare. Better yet, you don’t even have to look to other countries: Just look at the VA system here in the US, and there you will see your future with single-payer healthcare.

Even the most left-leaning fanatics are beginning to admit that global warming/climate change is absurd and a hoax. It was uncovered as such and started to fall apart when the IPCC fraudulent “scientists” lied and were exposed.

A minimum-wage job is meant to be an entry-level job, used as a steppingstone to a greater earned position. Forcing businesses to increase the minimum wage means that they will be forced to increase the prices of their goods & services to consumers. Layoffs will occur due to the increased cost of doing business, meaning less jobs and more people on public assistance, with resultant increased costs to taxpayers. Government interference distorts the free flow of supply and demand.

Seth Moulton’s positions are too radical for me. I do not want his level of government interference in my life, in addition to the fact that I feel his positions are an outright danger to my welfare.

5. Anonymous October 5, 2014 at 2:03 pm #

Mr. Croce , everyone can have an opinion, and I respect yours, but do you have any factual examples of how “most republicans only care for themselves”? Please don’t just give silly Dem talking points.

• Bob Croce October 5, 2014 at 5:13 pm #

Just about every single major social program designed to help people who truly need help in the past 50 years, including Medicare, was proposed by Democrats and opposed by Republicans.

Republican obstructionists in Congress, just to win political advantage, refused to negotiate with Democrats in 2013 to avoid a government shutdown. As a result, thousands of military families went without a paycheck for three weeks. I personally know of a military family who couldn’t even afford food during that time.

Look, I hate wasteful spending of our tax dollars and people who cheat the system just as much as anyone else. But with many Republicans, it’s always a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water. Sorry, but government needs to have a role in helping people.

Today, there’s a lot of selfishness with the Republican Party, especially with it’s younger ranks. Leah Cole’s anti-tax message sounds wonderful in soundbites, but then again she doesn’t have to worry right now about being 85 and not knowing where she’ll get money for food or medicine.

We have an obligation as Americans and as human beings to take care of those who can’t take care of themselves. Many Republicans (not all), meanwhile, could care less if people starve.

6. Anonymous October 5, 2014 at 10:13 pm #

You can’t tell me that Republicans don’t want to help people in need, that’s just not true Bob. You can bring up things in the past where Republicans may have been on the wrong side of things but the Democrats have had their fair share of being against the little guy as well (1964 Civil Rights Act, Dems support of Slavery, etc..).

Bob, do you think Dem Sharpton and Dem Jackson are helping helping the black community improve their lives? Has the current Dem V.A. hospitals helped military families? Do you really think Dem Harry Reid, Dem Nancy Pelosi and Dem Debbie Wasserman Shultz care more about people who are truly in need than the average Republican does?

I’m not saying that every Republican has a heart but their are just as many heartless Democrats. Some people actually think you are the only living heart donor. Just ask the Demoulas shoppers.

7. Anonymous October 6, 2014 at 7:09 pm #

Commonwealth Baytstater:

Very nice response and well thought out. This thing with sending US troops to fight Isis IS THE BEST REASON TO VOTE FOR MOULTON! Turkey, who just today, saw Isis take over a town a few hundred yards from their border, sits on their duff and does NOTHING.

Turkey can destroy ISIS if they wanted, but it looks like they are playing the chicken sh… thing. Imagine the response if Isis took over a Mexican town a few hundred yards from Texas border. WE WOULD NOT ALLOW THIS!!

So, Tisei, the Republican, wants the United States to sacrifice American soldiers to fight against ISIS when Turkey soldiers cluck and cluck and do nothing???? with Isis a few hundred yards away???

NO WAY!!!

GO MOULTON!! VOTE DEMOCRAT!!

• anonymous October 7, 2014 at 9:08 am #

Unfortunately this administration would do the exact same thing if ISIS took over a town close to the Texas border. Nothing. Therein lies the problem.

• CommonwealthBayStater October 7, 2014 at 11:33 am #

For Seth Moulton to take putting soldiers on the ground off the table as an option, when it may be required at some point to protect Americans–with a well thought-out strategy of course, is irresponsible and dangerous and extreme.

8. Anonymous October 6, 2014 at 8:11 pm #

And when we have another 9-11 and 3000 Americans are murdered lets just say awe shucks Turkey really should of stopped those guys. This really is too serious to get political about. To tell your enemy what you are not going to do is down right foolish and it puts us in a corner just like the red line in Syria. Steve Wynn is right, the prez never led or managed anything before being elected and Americans are in danger because of it.

9. the Outfront Guy* October 6, 2014 at 10:44 pm #

OG says….like I said earlier….more of the same old gridlock….the two party system is broken, ineffective, and dysfunctional…….focus on two areas for any hope of improvement > lobbyists and term limits. until that happens then say hello to more of the same old stuff year after year…..and that’s how OG sees it.

10. Anonymous October 6, 2014 at 11:05 pm #

Anon: Steve Wynn, the casino guy? You are quoting a casino guy? Why not Donald Trump? Or Nucky Thompson?

Nothing new OG, it’s always been a two party system. Gridlock is mainly a republican invention though because they have always wanted the president to be blamed for everything. By voting for republicans now, is like giving candy to the child who screams to get their own way.

• anonymous October 7, 2014 at 9:12 am #

What a stupid argument. Democrats are just as responsible for gridlock. Prime example is Harry Reid and all the bills piled up on his desk that he refuses to bring to a vote. Stop drinking the kool aid and think for yourself. And gridlock started long before Obama was in office. Obama’s main problem isn’t his politics, although I disagree with much of what he stands for. His biggest problem is that he has no idea how to lead.

11. Anonymous October 7, 2014 at 10:00 pm #

Just fine by me that Obama doesn’t cave into the hostage taking of America by the Masters of Gridlock =Republicans.

We don’t negotiate with terrorist republicans who whine and stamp their feet until they get their way, and want to “balance” the budget on the middle class so the wealthy can buy a new Merecedes and ship jobs overseas.

Tisei is a wasted vote, -he will be snubbed by the Republican leadership on budget matters.
    Keep US soldiers out of harms way, keep the drones flying.

12. Anonymous October 7, 2014 at 10:18 pm #

I supposed Republican benefactors like the Koch brothers and Cheney associates of the military industrial complex will benefit from a Tisei election and his toe heeling obedience to Republican’s desire to engage in further self flagellation and loss of American lives and limbs by sending troops to do hand to hand combat with Isis.

Haven’t we learned our lessons? What good did it to take over Iraq, -we lost the most formidable foe to Isis – Sadam Hussein. What did Bush say, “fool me once…”

13. Anonymous October 7, 2014 at 11:42 pm #

If this Anon is Seth’s typical spokesperson then he has no shot at getting elected. We don’t want another Pelosi puppet who spews hate and rhetoric . The president’s foreign policy has been terrible. If Seth can’t admit that, then it’s a sign he will just be a soldier in the Pelosi army. To hear he is doing a fundraiser with Debbie Wasserman Shitz is outright depressing as well.

14. What the ... October 8, 2014 at 9:10 am #

Speaking of Democrats who is this hack Eileen Duff? Saw she was in Peabody Square with the gov and the mayor yesterday. Looked like she was taking over to tell Deval about what was going on down there in a video I saw on the Salem Snooze. She is not ever from Peabody anymore and has one of the biggest most wasteful elected positions in the state. It is like she is stealing 25K a year from taxpayers as a governors councilor. She is the typical hack Democrat living off the arm.

15. The greatest show on earth...... October 8, 2014 at 1:23 pm #

Wow, listening to both the Democratic and republican responses back and forth on this blog is nauseating. Doesn’t either side get it? I believe most Americans are sick and tired of this waste of time debate on whose fault everything is. Bush did that, Obama did this, Clinton did that. Enough already. Can we solve problems by working together or is there no hope. On a side note it sounds like Peabody’s school committee is as bad as congress. Did you see the editorial in the Salem News. Bob, please post the article to show the world how dysfunctional the school committee is.

• anonymous October 8, 2014 at 3:01 pm #

I can’t comment on how the meeting went but if you are the writer of that letter to the editor, you are sadly mistaken about Mr. McGeney, or you are an ardent supporter of the whole common core fiasco. He is one of the few people I’ve seen who really has taken the time to learn more about this issue and inform others. The more he uncovers, the uglier it is. You could learn a thing or two from him.

16. the Outfront Guy* October 8, 2014 at 9:19 pm #

OG says…hey Greatest Show on Earth…I agree with you on the tiresome old blame game thing……there is no hope…it’s all dysfunctional and beyond repair…and that’ s how OG sees it…can anyone convince me otherwise ???

17. Anonymous October 8, 2014 at 11:37 pm #

Blame game yes. We need to stop looking to government to solve our problems and then blame government if problems remain. How do you make the world perfect? But the better question is what point in US history were the “wonder” years republicans dream about?

They blame democrats for EVERYTHING, they want LESS government but complain about ISIS. They want less government in the United States but MORE US GOVERNMENT in the Middle East. Isn’t that ridiculous???

Republicans on this blog make no sense at all.