New voke school is the ‘gift’ that keeps on giving for Peabody taxpayers

17 Sep

It’s the “gift” that keeps on giving, and now there’s reason to believe that Peabody taxpayers might be further fleeced because of an oversight when it comes to the new, totally ostentatious North Shore Technical School.

taxesYou see, the genius political movers and shakers, who built this Palace of Versailles of voke schools, forgot about a “little” obligation owed to the retirees of Essex Aggie, which was merged with the new voke.

Turns out that no one figured into the already over-inflated cost of the new school an additional $375,000 owed annually to pensioners. What that means is that Peabody, which wasn’t even part of the old district that included Essex Aggie, might be on the hook for a big chunk this oversight.

Oops! Maybe State Rep Ted Speliotis, a champion of this over-priced  educational edifice should simply throw up his arms and say … “sorry, the dog ate my homework.”

The new school, which will serve fewer than 200 of Peabody’s 6,000 students, is already taking a $3 million bite out of Peabody’s budget. This year, it was the primary reason for Peabody being forced, for the 13 straight year, to raise taxes on homeowners.

The problem now is that no one wants to own this mistake when it comes to the pension obligation, and no one seems to know how or why the oversight happened in the first place. Of course, the answer is simple as to who will “own” it. It belongs to us, and the taxpayers of all of the other communities who joined in here.

It’s too bad, since I’m sure the movers and shakers behind this over-the-top luxurious school building could have easily swept it under the rug when it came to the overall budget. Heck, no one would have even noticed. Right?

But now, we likely own it, and the question is, how much of it will be the obligation of Peabody taxpayers, whose kids never milked one cow at the old Essex Aggie?

Follow Bob on Twitter @eyeonpeabody

19 Responses to “New voke school is the ‘gift’ that keeps on giving for Peabody taxpayers”

1. anonymous September 17, 2014 at 11:04 am #

And for this I suppose we should re-elect Speliotis as well, right? After all he has the experience and “knows” how to get things done, especially being a democrat and all. This is why we need change even if it comes in the form of someone who is inexperienced (As in Cole). These people are corrupt, incompetent, wasteful, and a whole bunch of other terms that I won’t use because you probably wouldn’t post it. The whole bunch of them disgust me. Too bad they didn’t listen to Bettencourt in the first place.

2. I only help myself says....... September 17, 2014 at 1:49 pm #

I’d rather have Leah Cole than an incompetent state rep that overlooks $375,000 a year for infinity and beyond. Speliotis should return the $4000 he took for gas money for this major screw-up. Let’s see if all his influence as a major Democratic ally of the speaker bails him out of this one. Something tells me the taxpayers are going to get wacked again.

3. the Outfront Guy* September 17, 2014 at 2:08 pm #

OG says…did City Councilor at the time Teflon Ted vote in favor of Getting Brighter City joining this vocational school? OG needs to have his memory refreshed on this.

• Bob Croce September 17, 2014 at 2:10 pm #

OG, Councilor At-Large Bettencourt voted against the North Shore Voke. Councilors Bettencourt, Sinewitz, and Mello were the only ones to vote “no.”

4. Big fan September 17, 2014 at 2:55 pm #

More outstanding writing from our fearless editor. Love the dog ate my homework and cow milking lines. Priceless. Thanks for breaking up my boring work day with some good stuff as usual.

5. Ann Mitsopoulos September 17, 2014 at 5:27 pm #

So what is the price tag on the voke so far does anyone know? I did hear that the councilors voted on a special budget without numbers for it. Clearly they don’t care how much it cost or how much they may have to raise our taxes to pay for it.

• anonymous September 17, 2014 at 5:56 pm #

Not sure, but do we really have a choice at this point? Is there any way to extract ourselves from this mess?

6. Just Asking September 17, 2014 at 9:49 pm #

How did Beverley vote on the voke decision? Another fine mess they have gotten us into!

• Bob Croce September 17, 2014 at 9:57 pm #

She was the only school committee member who voted against it.

7. the Outfront Guy* September 17, 2014 at 10:42 pm #

OG says…our fearless editor is correct on the voke school vote and Dunne was not in favor of it…but you know what? IT DOESN’T MATTER NOW!! we have a piece of this pie…..we had an option to do our own thing and we chose not to….so now sleep in the bed you made and let’s move on…..we can bellyache about Ted Speliotis all we want but look at how many times this guy has been re-elected…sleep in the bed you made….OG is getting old and weary of the “I told you so’s” that we like to fall back on when we see something we don’t like…all of these decisions are voted upon by YOUR elected officials…sleep in the bed you made….and finally, it’s great to see the participation on this blog lately…some good interest out there but you know what? we are a very small percentage of citizens who give a hoot about most of this stuff….way too many are not engaged, informed and concerned with a lot of these issues….they are either asleep at the wheel or simply not involved in anything except making ends meet or shuttling the kids from one sporting event to another…OG applauds those of you who find the time and take the interest to give a damn…and that’s how OG sees it.

8. Harry Birmingham September 19, 2014 at 6:21 am #

I can’t help but think that you may not be the original Og who called the city “Dark City.” I know Mr. Croce did say he had identified some one as an impostor of the real OG. Maybe he is to busy to look and see who is posting with the bright city comments because of his own very numerous commentaries on the local political scene. If your the real OG then I say congrats and thank you for the change in describing the city now as being bright.

• Bob Croce September 19, 2014 at 10:25 am #

Harry. This is the one and only, original OG. He’s been verified.

9. Harry Birmingham September 19, 2014 at 10:55 am #

As you know he and I don’t always see eye to eye but I am really amazed that he is using the bright city to his Batman child like input to his remarks rather than dark city. _ My only wish at the presently is that I could vote in Peabody to give my opinion on the candidates running for office . I’m sure OG and I would have some opinion clashes over the candidates and up coming election. Thanks for telling me he is the original OG and once again I’m amazed at his change for a more positive description of the city where he has the right to vote and express his political opinions.

10. the Outfront Guy* September 22, 2014 at 9:30 pm #

OG says….hey Harry B…just because you don’ t live here anymore doesn’t exclude you from offering your opinion on the candidates…even though you have seen the light and moved out of Getting Brighter City let’s hear what you think as a former resident who has a real good feel for the old town turf…..your input is valued and if we disagree then so be it….and that’s how OG sees it.

• Harry Birmingham September 26, 2014 at 7:23 am #

OG it wouldn’t be fair of me to give any opinion politically when I’m not living in the city. I could but then I’d be called many things both pro and con to my opinions where I have no true right to give one. – My moving out of Peabody was with the greatest of reluctance after retiring. The reason for my doing so was and still is that my wife got an offer to work in her field here in N.H. I don’t know how long you have lived in Peabody but she was the cities envoirnmental engineer before coming up here.

• Harry Birmingham September 26, 2014 at 1:08 pm #

Just as an after thought ! If she were still working in Peabody would the Carnavale Spring Pond incident have taken place? The pollution costs it took monetarily to over come that mistake and the resulting embarrassment to the city would never have happened on her watch. Of course that is just my opinion, as they say!!

• Harry Birmingham September 26, 2014 at 8:26 pm #

OG, If you can say that I have seen some sort of light and moved out of the city then why is it you stay living in the city if it were true? Are you being a hypocrite or just some angry carpetbagger who moved into the city trying to make trouble by your comments and then saying I’ve seen the “light” upon my moving from the city , which isn’t true, is my question to you. Please enlighten me and all who have read this and your “light” statement of my moving away to N.H..

11. the Outfront Guy* October 1, 2014 at 9:51 pm #

OG says…I believe that i was being quite gracious and inviting in my request for you to weigh in and offer your opinion as an ex-resident who still knows the city where you once lived….why twist that around by calling me an angry carpetbagger?

• Harry Birmingham October 2, 2014 at 6:33 am #

Because you are. My reason for saying it is because of your actions having come from another place with your wants of saying to every one what you want them to believe . You sound as though you want to take over things here when you haven’t lived as a really true Peabodyite. That is why I called you a carpetbagger. You insult the city with your childish batman expressions and these antics give you no creditability to what you respond to when you write your opinion[s]. I could say more but I’m sure you have gotten enough of my reasons for now. And that is how I see it .—- Btw , how come it took you so long to respond to the 9/26 things I wrote to you ? Could it be your in hopes of continuing our sparring with one another by responding so late ? I hope now that my explanation as to why I left the city is enough for you to comprehend.