Choice should be Joyce-like when it comes to the race for Peabody State Rep

16 Sep

It’s been almost two years since the passing of Joyce Spilliotis, and each year at this time I think about her when campaigns heat up. That’s because, in my opinion, the former State Rep and Peabody City Councilor was a model of what we should expect from all of our public servants.

We need a rep who went about the job just like the late, great Joyce Spillotis

We need a rep who went about the job just like the late, great Joyce Spillotis

A lot of what Joyce got for Peabody while on Beacon Hill was because she was a Democrat, who was in step with the major themes of those who ran her party. But first and foremost, she always strived to do what was right for Peabody, and the people she represented.

If that meant tangling with the Speaker, so be it. If it meant cutting a deal with members of her party, and even wooing some Republican votes to get what she needed for Peabody, she knew how to negotiate.

At the end of the day, she was certainly a Democrat, but it was always people over party.  It was always Peabody first.

People have asked me lately why I’ve been so rough in this space on our freshman Republican State Rep Leah Cole, and the first thing I usually say is that it’s definitely not personal. Although I’ve met Leah only a couple of times, I think she’s a nice person. I also think it’s admirable when people in her age group get involved in community service, and that we need more 25-year olds running for office, especially when it comes to Library Trustee, school committee, and city council.

But I don’t think her being part of the minority party on Beacon Hill, and her lack of business, leadership and life experience are good qualities for Peabody’s State Rep. to have.

There’s something else, though, and this is where I think about the job done by Joyce.

Many times, I get the impression that Leah Cole is on Beacon Hill to be more of a foothold for the dysfunctional Mass GOP, than she is there to represent the residents of Peabody. I cite her rhetoric during the special election, during which she managed to get about 6% of the district’s roughly 28K voters to fill in the oval next to her name.

During that campaign, and while defending the acceptance of donations from outside of Peabody, she sometimes talked about how State Reps don’t just represent their districts, but also make decisions for the entire state. I don’t think I ever heard Joyce Spilliotis worry about anything other than the people who needed here most back her in Peabody.

“I believe her platform will be different. I am interested in hearing what she has to say. … So much of her support comes from outside of Peabody; I would like to know what exactly she intends to do for the citizens (of Peabody),” Beverley Griffin Dunne, Cole’s Democratic opponent on Nov. 4th ,told the Salem News yesterday.

And Beverley is right. While Joyce Spilliotis was all about Peabody and constituent services, Leah Cole seems more interested in pushing forward with the state Republican Party’s agenda, and wooing support from OUTSIDE of Peabody. She’s worked on a number of fiscally responsible tax issues, which I feel most Peabody people would agree with, but it’s all been rhetoric rather than action, since Republicans on Beacon Hill have very little influence.

Money is not only the “mother’s milk of politics,” it’s also the major thing that ends up influencing the decisions of most elected officials.  This is why my eyebrows are raised when I see that a majority of the money in Cole’s war chest coming from non-Peabody people.

When Cole talks about more responsible tax policies and not bilking the middle class, most of us stand up and cheer. But then we peel the onion, and see that she received $22K in in-kind contributions from the uber right-wing Marlborough Republican City Committee, which is in lock-step with the far right nationally when it comes to social issues. Heck, we all want lower taxes, but I believe that the majority of Mass. voters are live and let live when it comes to same-sex marriage. I also believe that, while most people are not pro-abortion, they certainly aren’t – like most Republicans – against a woman’s right to choose.

This is indeed going to be one of the more interesting Peabody State Rep races in recent memory. All I suggest is that people peel the onion, and ask themselves the following before making a decision:

Which of these two candidates is more like Joyce?

Follow Bob on Twitter @eyeonpeabody

67 Responses to “Choice should be Joyce-like when it comes to the race for Peabody State Rep”

1. anonymous September 16, 2014 at 11:01 am #

Are you Beverley’s campaign manager now? Sounds to me like you are really worried about Cole because all you do is trash her lately.

• Bob Croce September 16, 2014 at 11:14 am #

Nope. But instead of making wisecracks, how about showing me how I’m wrong. I’ve heard a lot of anger coming from Cole supporters, but no where have I seen anyone prove me wrong on any of this. I think that in itself speaks volumes.

• Just Typing September 16, 2014 at 1:18 pm #

Sounds like a campaign manager to me. Question to Bob: Have the Democrats proven themselves to the Massachusetts voters. Remember; It is not illegal to be illegal. Meanwhile the Massachusetts taxpayers are paying the bills. Life is GOOD on the MA Taxpayers’ Dime! Taxpayers’ funded salaries, benefits and pensions included. Illegals come on down Martha welcomes you!!!

• Bob Croce September 16, 2014 at 1:22 pm #

Again, not sure what any of that has to do with the points in my post. I’ll ask again, please tell me how Leah Cole is the best choice to be Peabody’s State Rep. Can we please talk specifically about Peabody rather than anti-Dem Party talking points?

2. Just Typing September 16, 2014 at 2:13 pm #

Bob, You don’t get it the one party state is broken! The Democrat
    leaches are sucking the taxpayers dry on a promise NOT to pay later as they move to Florida, an income tax free state!

3. Ryan Morrison September 16, 2014 at 3:14 pm #

Just wanted to say that she does not represent Peabody alone. I live in Peabody and have Speliotis. His jurisdiction covers a portion of West Peabody, Middleton, & Danvers. So his interests are not for Peabody only, right?

• Bob Croce September 16, 2014 at 7:59 pm #

You’re wrong, Ryan. The 12th Essex, Leah’s district, is all Peabody (Wards 1-4, Ward 5 prec. 1 &3)

• Ryan Morrison October 8, 2014 at 12:58 pm #

she only represents peabody but does not cover 100% of Peabody, correct? I am pretty sure I can not vote for her (Stark Cir)

4. CommonwealthBayStater September 16, 2014 at 3:35 pm #

As of today, Leah Cole’s score with the Massachusetts Fiscal Alliance is 93%, putting her in a Baker’s Dozen of legislators and meaning that she is fighting for all of us in Peabody for fiscal responsibility with almost all of her votes. I call that putting Peabody first.

The average score with the Mass Fiscal Alliance is 27% for house reps and 28% for senators.

Where would Beverly Griffin-Dunne’s score lie?

• Bob Croce September 16, 2014 at 8:01 pm #

So … that, and two bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Dunks. I’m not talking about how Cole votes, I’m talking about what she can do for Peabody as a freshman Republican rep surrounded by Dems. The answer is … very little.

• CommonwealthBayStater September 18, 2014 at 9:36 am #

Leah Cole, as a freshman representative, has demonstrated very well and with complete clarity that she looks out for the well-being of Peabody.

How Leah Cole votes does matter to the taxpayers of Peabody.

With the logic you name, we shouldn’t elect fiscally responsible people. We should never attempt to do what’s right for ourselves fiscally and we should keep electing politicians who raise our taxes and fees, redistribute our money, and spend our $$$ as they wish. We should never make any changes to that “system.” Just keep the status quo. Do this over & over & over. Let the circle and the cycle repeat endlessly. Never go in a new direction. The majority of the politicians on Beacon Hill misuse and waste our tax $$$, so we might as well elect someone locally who will join right in with that.

Is that what people want?

5. Anonymous September 16, 2014 at 4:34 pm #

If I do remember, Sue Brotchie was a close personal friend of Joyce’s and reading her previous comment on another topic she says that she is supporting Leah Cole. A comment like that from a close friend of Joyce’s speaks volumes to me as a voter. I was always a huge supporter of Joyce’s, and think that comparing Beverley’s constituent service to Joyce’s is blasphamy. I once reached out to Beverley for help with a school related issue… several phone calls and emails and never got a reply or call back. That folks is a god’s honest true story. I see lot’s of questionable content on this website, but what this voter just wrote is true. So believe who you want, listen to who you want, vote for who you want, but I guess you can figure out whom I’ll be voting for.

• Joyce was a Dunne supporter September 16, 2014 at 7:02 pm #

This is the dumbest comment yet. If Joyce were here today she would not only vote for Beverley, she would endorse her. I do not know who this Brotchie person is, but Joyce’s husband Dick Jarvis has always said that Joyce wanted Beverley Dunne to succeed her at the state house. The reason Joyce wanted Beverley to succeed her is because she saw good qualities in her when it came to being responsive to the people of Peabody. Period end of sentence.

• Anonymous September 16, 2014 at 7:23 pm #

I have been a strong supporter of Joyce’s since she was on the city council! I held signs on several occassions with her and Dick. Does this mean that I have to support Beverley even if I have a reason not too? Maybe I should just not look at this site anymore.

• kmd627 September 16, 2014 at 8:15 pm #

I can hardly believe that this is true. That you made several phone calls and sent several emails to Bev and she didn’t respond.

6. Anonymous September 16, 2014 at 5:26 pm #

Bob, no one can prove you wrong because in your mind your opinions about how politics work are absolute facts and our opinions are just opinions. Some might say you have a God complex. 🙂

• Bob Croce September 16, 2014 at 8:03 pm #

No. I’m not God. I may be A god, but I’m definitely not THE God. 🙂

• kmd627 September 16, 2014 at 8:13 pm #

But isn’t that the beauty of having a blog? That you can write your opinions and share them?

7. Just Typing September 16, 2014 at 6:53 pm #

Bob, You are party blind. Sorry. Time in End the party.

Bob, The Party is over!

• Bob Croce September 16, 2014 at 8:05 pm #

Actually, I never vote based on party. I always and only vote for the person who I think is the best, most-qualified candidate.

8. the Outfront Guy* September 16, 2014 at 7:29 pm #

OG says….now OG is already on the record as being a Leah Cole supporter since Dunne is just more of the same old liberal candidate to me…..and I can surely see and follow your argument about whether Dunne or Cole might ‘care’ more about Peabody but let’s spell it out differently for the Getting Brighter City voters (all 20% of them who vote perhaps) and ask you to do this….there are many people out there who feel that the late great Emperor cared more about Peabody than anyone who challenged him and what did he do for us beyond giving us a sparkling bond rating and low taxes? since you are big fan of the late Joyce Spiliotis can you tell us all what she exactly ‘did’ for Peabody? some good specific examples to remind us all why we kept re-electing her? I think the voters needs specific examples and maybe then your argument will carry a bit more validity…..in the meantime OG is going to continue to ponder the Moulton vs Tisei race….a most interesting contest…..

9. kmd627 September 16, 2014 at 8:05 pm #

Well written. I miss Joyce. And when I think about who is most like her, I think of Beverley. I’ve worked with Bev on the Higgins Building Committee and School related committees. and she’s supported my work in raising awareness for allergies and asthma in Peabody. Leah Cole, meanwhile, has yet to show any interest in our awareness for allergies and asthma activities. I haven’t yet met Cole, so I can’t speak at all to whether or not she is like Joyce.

• Take some Allegra September 16, 2014 at 9:58 pm #

Another Democrat dope. Why not invite Leah to your very important allergy thing instead of taking cheap shots.

10. Dustin September 16, 2014 at 10:20 pm #

What happened to Sue Brotchie’s comment and your response? I was going to comment. Maybe you should just delete the entire thing.

• Bob Croce September 16, 2014 at 10:48 pm #

Her comment has been deleted. We’re not going to turn this into a personal pissing match about who knew whom and why. Stick to the issues, please. If you don’t like it, you can either start your own blog, or request that the Twisted Tanner bring back his “fellowship of the miserable” attack blog.

11. Anonymous September 16, 2014 at 10:29 pm #

Joyce was a good Rep but I don’t know if she has to be canonized as the best ever. It’s odd that the editor never mentions that during her entire time as Rep the SENATE MAJORITY LEADER with thirty years on Beacon Hill came from – wait for it ….PEABODY. Did she have more influence than him Mr Croce?

How about we forget the past and look at these two candidates for who they are and what they represent.

• Bob Croce September 16, 2014 at 10:49 pm #

Fred Berry was in the Senate. I still contend that Joyce was the best rep Peabody ever had. Tell me who was better.

• Elect Beverley now September 16, 2014 at 11:01 pm #

What do these two candidates represent? One is a young robot who takes her orders from right wing nut cases and could care less about Peabody. The other is a woman who has given a large chunk of her life to community service and making Peabody better place to live. Real hard choice here. Beverley Griffin Dunne will win in a landslide

• Dustin September 16, 2014 at 11:03 pm #

Joyce was the best. At least we can agree on that. More to come.

12. Sue Brotchie September 17, 2014 at 7:19 am #

BTW Bob, I’m aware you have blocked all comments of mine…No big deal. Rather amusing. Proves what you really are.

• Bob Croce September 17, 2014 at 9:34 am #

Sue,your your comments have not been “blocked.” I removed one comment last night because it was way off track and too personal when it came to this topic. I also refused to approve one of your comments this morning because it was inappropriate. There is a reason why all comments are moderated here. I don’t mind if people are critical of Peabody “public figures,” but the threatening tone of your message this morning was disturbing.

I’m usually pretty liberal when it comes to approving comments, but vile, angry rants are not allowed here. If you can behave and follow the rules, I’ll approve your comments. Thanks for reading.

• Just a reader September 17, 2014 at 11:13 am #

Good decision Bob. You could tell that the commenter you are referring to was starting to go way over the line. I like coming here and reading good opinions. I am not interested in reading people who are raving like lunatics

13. the Outfront Guy* September 17, 2014 at 7:32 am #

OG says….”Joyce was the best”…ok, fine …I can accept that opinion but can you spell out why for us? she was good at returning phone calls? or is there more to this than that? what can we specifically credit to her time in office that resulted in good things for Peabody? that’s all I want to hear….I think that Dunne truly cares about Peabody and is a more seasoned networker than perhaps Cole is but that does not mean that Ms Cole cannot still serve our interests…..OG just gets leery when we keep electing networkers and those with connections because that’s where things can get good or they can get messy…and that’s how OG sees it…

• Anonymous September 17, 2014 at 9:46 am #

OG I do not know if you have a young son or daughter in his or her early 20s but would you think that young son and daughter would be experienced enough to negotiate with middle aged political animals on Beacon Hill?

14. the Outfront Guy* September 17, 2014 at 2:17 pm #

OG says…let me make sure I have this correct then… Cole is part of the political problem and not part of the political solution? Cole represents all that is wrong with local politics ?? Cole is ‘younger’ and therefore not seasoned enough to learn and grow in the position? Have I got it straight ?

• Bob Croce September 17, 2014 at 2:25 pm #

OG, you too are missing Batman’s point here. Sure, she could “grow on the job.” But Peabody can’t wait that long. We need what we need NOW. We could also wait until Republicans took back Beacon Hill, but an OG statue will have long been erected in Peabody Square before that happens.

15. Ann Mitsopoulos September 17, 2014 at 2:33 pm #

Ok Bob take a step back. You have a ton of stuff here. 1) Ms Cole is running for re-election so she will no longer be the freshman representative from Peabody however if Ms Dunn wins she will be the freshman representative from Peabody. I think you just lost a point for Ms Dunn in your own argument.
    2) Your comments “I think its admirable when people in her age group get involved …” is very condescending. There is no age requirement for office other than President. There is no business experience needed either. After all she seemed to know full well that some of the votes she would be making were gong to effect everyone in the state not just those in Peabody. Something you thought was just Rhetoric but is fact!! And exactly how would you know how much leadership and life experience she has had at the age of 25 unless you spent a little more time talking to her which you already stated you did not. You’d be surprised by how much leadership and life experience a young WOMAN can fit into 25 years of life Bob. Much more than most men I trust!
    3)I loved Joyce as did most but you know the old saying, ‘Dead men tell know Tales’ So we don’t know what Joyce would or would not want since she is not here. We can only assume and that is based on our own biases. But in this country we dont hand down elected seats you run for them on your own and that is just what both women are doing.
    4) As for her roughly 6% vote well that’s all she needed to win and she won! In the end that is all that matters right?
    5)Bob, with 2 young talented daughters yourself sham on you this was a sexist rant based on age that required a response.

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

• Bob Croce September 17, 2014 at 2:46 pm #

1. My point is still valid, since Dunne already knows more of the players on Beacon Hill, and has a better relationship with them because they are Democrats.

2. My point is still valid, since I was talking about lack of experience and not specifically age. If Leah Cole were 65 and lived most of her life in a cave, I’d write the same thing. Experience matters. I’ve managed a lot of people in my life, and I’ve never come across a 25-year-old with not a lot of education, who can hold their own against a seasoned, well-educated 50-year-old. And the latter is what you have on Beacon Hill.

3. We DO know what Joyce wanted, since this comes straight from the person who knew her best, Dick Jarvis.

4. Her getting 6% of the district residents to vote for her shows that her election was a total fluke. My point remains valid.

5. Hmmm, not sure how you can play the “sexist card,” considering that the candidate I say is MORE qualified is also, wait for it … A WOMAN! This one really makes no sense on your part. By the way, my oldest daughter, who is a year younger than Leah, is also NOT qualified to be a state rep … and she at least has a real college degree.

Sorry, Annie. I think the score is 5-0 me.

• Ann Mitsopoulos September 17, 2014 at 3:39 pm #

1)Bob I am saying your comment is sexist is because it is coming from you – a man!!!!
        2) Again there is no experience needed nor an age requirement.
        3) Her 6% may have been a fluke but she won that’s all that’s matters so you point being valid is also moot.
        4)Bob main problem with the hill is the fact that they have all been there too long and that all play the game to well! I like Bev and if I could vote in 5 I would vote for her but I cant. I do however like the facts to be accurate. You are straying form that, ill say no more on that since this is your blog and you can spin it however you want but do try to keep your facts accurate.
        5) Pres Obama may want Hillary Clinton but that does not mean we all have to vote for her that is not how the system works.
        6) Bob, I have managed many people myself both young and old and I have to tell you I have been surprised by both the young and the old. New ideas are always good. I for one have had it with the way things have always been done on the hill. So Im not sure that was a valid argument.
        7) And enough with the no a lot of experience/education comments. Ms Cole is a LPN she holds a very respected degree in nursing and I for one have had enough of people talking about it like it is something that you can get aver a weekend. Nursing weather it is an LPN or an RN degree requires a log of chemistry and anatomy among other things just to pass. and then you need to pass your state boards. So not just anyone can get there LPN/RN after all do you want just anyone working in a hospital passing out meds taking care of the life and death issues of your loved ones? NO you dont so put your politics aside and pay a little respect to the fact the woman did pass her boards and is a working professional LPN!
        8) As for you score, Bob we have been friends for years but really did not counter any of my points so if you want to keep score go ahead, but you have to counter them first before you take a point.

• Bob Croce September 17, 2014 at 3:51 pm #

What does my gender have to do with the fact that I say one candidate is better qualified than the other in this case when they are BOTH women? Ann, hate to say it, but your comment is the one that’s “sexist.”

Not going to go over all of your other points here since it’s getting tiresome (sorting my sock drawer would be way more interesting), but you blowing holes in my flat out commonsense argument about experience is just plain silly.

Yup. New ideas are fabulous, but — AGAIN — that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m sure Ms. Cole has plenty of great, new ideas, but if I were a Democratic State Rep, with my experience in life and business, it would be no contest between her an I in any debate. She’d get destroyed. And I think, when it comes to real life negotiation skills. I’m fairly typical of the real adults she faces off against every day on Beacon Hill.

Could Leah Cole be in that league someday? I think … YES! But Peabody needs help NOW. We can’t afford to have someone with training wheels still on her bike sitting in that seat.

• Anonymous September 17, 2014 at 9:28 pm #

There is also an age requirement for Congress. You need to be 25 to be a Congressman and 30 to be a Senator.

16. the Outfront Guy* September 17, 2014 at 3:16 pm #

OG says….there seems to be some legitimate discontent with Democrats this election season and we finally may get some long awaited ‘change’ that many of your readers clamor for…but OG finds it interesting when we talk about this thirst for change and then go about lampooning an already elected official like Leah Cole for being young, experienced and unable to feed herself at the boys club up on Beacon Hill…..is there another candidate like Dunne who represents the same old, more of the same club?? so my question is this > do we know what we really want? do we know what we really need? will it really matter all that much in the end whoever gets elected when rigor mortis is already established at the national level??? and OG is still waiting for the laundry list of specific accomplishments that Joyce provided us with during her lengthy tenure………………

17. heyo September 17, 2014 at 5:53 pm #

Actually, Cole has brought three bills to the floor that have passed in the two years shes been up there. They all saved tax payers money. She also got Peabody reimbursed for the costs of the special election. Joyce brought roughly 0 bills to the floor in all the the time she there. How much coffee does that buy you, Bob?

• Bob Croce September 17, 2014 at 6:25 pm #

Wrong again. I’ll allow your comment this time, but please, let’s try to stick to the facts and not lie about things. Other than some small change for a special election, a handful of liquor licenses, and a home-rule petition on civil service, Leah has accomplished nothing on Beacon Hill. And if she gets re-elected, chances are slim that they’ll give her anything up there in her second term. It’s only going to make Democrats more determined to keep her from being successful.

• heyo September 18, 2014 at 5:15 pm #

No its a fact she brought THREE BILLS to the floor… where are you getting your facts? She canvassss Peabody herlself collecting signitures to stop the gas tax from being raised. She has a 93% percent score of being fiscly responsible with her votes. She listens to her constituents and votes in their best interests. She is working to keep ypur hard earned money in your pocket. She ensured that Mass got reimbursed for the special electionAnd she worked very hard on educating the public about the tech tax that initially passed but was able to be reversed once the public understood what it was. She does not let tax payers pay for her to have a special license plate, she does not accept reimbursement for travel. Shes honest hard working and always votes with her constituents best interests in mind.

• heyo September 18, 2014 at 5:21 pm #

Ya, it is like democrats to waste their time fightkmg republicans than findjng a way to work together.

18. Anonymous September 17, 2014 at 6:02 pm #

OG, you are not going to get that list anytime soon. You are supposed to just take Bob’s word for it that Peabody took in a ton of special project money during that period because our senator and two reps were democrats.

In reality though the only significant project money that came in, was years ago for Crystal Lake (btw that’s looking great these day isn’t it).

Bob wants us to desperately believe that we need all three amigos to be democrats or Peabody will suffer. That didn’t work out so well for Peabody in 2006 though when governor Romney didn’t agree with Peabody democrat’s Fred, Joyce and Ted and he vetoed $425,000 for Crystal lake.

I wonder if Peabody would of received that money earlier if it had at least one republican representing us back then who was willing to work with the Romney administration on things.

Spin that Bob.

• Bob Croce September 17, 2014 at 6:22 pm #

Joyce was most-responsible for getting the Crystal Lake money. But a lot of what she did for her district revolved around constituent services. Ms. Cole has no pull to get the same things Joyce got for constituents who called her for help.

19. heyo September 17, 2014 at 6:11 pm #

Hey Bob, I dont believe Joyce went to college, let alone “real” college… and dont mask your feelings behind saying she is inexperienced and has her training wheels on. Give us a list of joyces accomplishments and maybe Leah can use it ha

• Bob Croce September 17, 2014 at 6:20 pm #

No, but Joyce had more than 10 years on the Peabody City Council, and 30 years of adult life experience. She also had a ton of “political” experience as a State Chairwoman for the party. Your comment here might be the most-absurd one in this entire string.

• heyo September 17, 2014 at 6:30 pm #

Bob I want a list of joyces accomplishments…. but she did nothing so there is no list. Prove ne wrong

• Bob Croce September 17, 2014 at 6:43 pm #

Wow. A big Leah Cole supporter dumping on Joyce Spilliotis. I hope our large and growing audience takes note that at 6:30 p.m. on Sept. 17th, the Cole campaign proclaimed that one of the most-popular elected officials in Peabody’s history “did nothing” as a state rep. That’s a real good strategy, Leah.

• heyo September 17, 2014 at 6:42 pm #

Its really easy to sit on the council, to be a chairperson and to have all this experience and do nothing joyce is proof of this…

• Bob Croce September 17, 2014 at 6:44 pm #

More anti-Joyce rhetoric from the Cole campaign. Keep it coming! Votes are slipping away by the minute.

• heyo September 18, 2014 at 5:30 pm #

Bob, I dont work for Leah, I really dont even know her that well. But I do know the facts. And that is why I will never vote for Beverly. She is like me and she thinks like me and im really proud to have a woman close to my age doing such a great job.

20. Give me a break September 17, 2014 at 6:27 pm #

Leah Cole is a joke and says and does things based on what those who run the Ron Paul cult tell her to do. Did you see her at the debate during special eleciton. She kept looking in the audience for help with her answers from that creepy campaign manager of hers with the really bad breath.

• heyo September 17, 2014 at 6:33 pm #

And can we look at her record instead of here age? Id she were a guy this wouldnt even come up very sad

• racroce September 17, 2014 at 6:42 pm #

Yeah, it must be “reverse age discrimination. Good luck with that angle. On presuming there is sexism here? Both candidates are female, and most of my praise in this post was for Joyce. Sorry, Heyo, but that dog just won’t hunt.

• heyo September 18, 2014 at 5:19 pm #

Is it a joke when she canvasses the city to save yoyr tax dollars? Or makes sure that mass gets reimbursed for the special election? She has 93% fiscally responsible voting record. I think what you should be saying is thank you

21. Anonymous September 17, 2014 at 6:45 pm #

Yeah your right Bob I’m sure the state senate did even factor in that the majority leader hailed from Peabody.

Yesterday it was all about the money , when it’s proven not much money came in, now it’s about constituent services.

Bob, please just be honest about this- If Baker wins and we have a Republican Governor, do you think Peabody will be in a better position to “get things” if we have 3 democrats or 2 democrats and 1 republican on Beacon Hill?

• Bob Croce September 17, 2014 at 6:46 pm #

Yes, we’d be better with a Dem in that seat, even if Baker wins. Clearly, you don’t know how it works on Beacon Hill. I’m guessing that you attended the Marlborough Public Schools?

22. Bob Croce September 17, 2014 at 6:49 pm #

Note: Have to go now and let our “You Make The Call” Audience know what I think of this State Rep race, so I might not be able to approve some comments until later. But please, keep them coming, and I’ll get them posted soon as I can. Show’s on 8-9 p.m. Tune in, and call if you want. I’ll likely tell you how wrong you are, but it’ll be fun. 🙂

23. Anonymous September 17, 2014 at 6:53 pm #

Clearly you don’t know. Hence Romney vetoing cash going to Peabody. You are delusional!

Btw. Mr.Metropolis taught me everything I know. Wrong again Bob .

• Bob Croce September 17, 2014 at 7:05 pm #

Mr. Metropolis taught at Marlborough High? I doubt that. He was too good of a teacher to work there.

24. Anonymous September 17, 2014 at 10:14 pm #

Wake up people thes are the people Leah Cole looks up to. She is a graduate of Ron Paul Cult Camp. http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/pat-robertson-and-ron-paul-agree-progressives-use-public-schools-indoctrinate-children

25. the Outfront Guy* September 17, 2014 at 10:32 pm #

OG says…ok….checking back in and all I see so far on the “Joyce was the best” reason list is that she was very good with ‘constituent services’…..so let me ask the voters out there in Getting Brighter City who may have had to call upon Leah Cole while she has been in office…have you found her to be responsive and attentive to ‘constituent services’ ??? and then let’s project ahead to the upcoming governor’s race…OG happens to think that Charlie Baker has a very good chance to be the next governor and lo and behold he is a Republican so wouldn’t we be better off if Leah Cole is serving our “constituent needs” up on Beacon Hill then???

• heyo September 18, 2014 at 5:27 pm #

She holds office hours at brooksby and at city hall. She is definitely responsive and accessible.