Moulton forces virtual dead heat with Tierney in Congressional contest poll

5 Sep

moulton

Seth Moulton … “The Comeback Kid”

After a barrage of mailings and TV commercials by challenger Seth Moulton, a new poll indicates that the race for the Democratic nomination in the 6th Congressional District is now virtually a dead heat.

The independent Emerson College Polling Society released a poll today showing Incumbent John Tierney with just a 47-44% lead over Moulton in the Tuesday, Sept. 9th primary.

Although it’s uncertain if Moulton can come all the way back on Tuesday, the new poll shows that he is indeed the “Comeback Kid.” An Emerson poll in April showed Tierney with a 64% to 11% lead over Moulton.

The latest poll was conducted Sept. 2-4th, with 343 likely Democrat primary voters, and has a margin of error of 5.3%.

The poll featured further bad news for Tierney.  Another survey also asked about general election match ups. In a November matchup between Tierney and Republican Richard Tisei the Republican holds a 51-43% edge.  Meanwhile, the Emerson poll gives Moulton a 44-36% edge over Tisei.

It will be very interesting to see what affect the Tisei match up part of the poll has on hardcore Dems, who obviously don’t want to lose this seat to a Republican. Up until now, many of the North Shore city and town committees, including the Peabody Democratic City Committee, have been solidly behind Tierney.

In the Democrat primary poll, minor candidates Melissa DeFranco comes in at 4%, while John Devine gets just 1%.

Overall, 6% remain undecided.

17 Responses to “Moulton forces virtual dead heat with Tierney in Congressional contest poll”

1. I do not get it September 5, 2014 at 1:51 pm #

At this point can some loyal Tierney Democrat please tell me why you still support this broken down corrupt congressman? You are going to lose the seat to the dreaded republicans if he beats Moulton.

2. Dear John Letter September 5, 2014 at 2:07 pm #

I admit to supporting John Tierney in the past … even including the last election that took place at the peak of the scandal surrounding his brother-in-law. This time I’m out. Sorry John, but I’ve had enough of you. The final straw came recently when JT defended the IRS Directors despite the overwhelming evidence of their lawlessness and obnoxious abuse of power.

The good news is that Seth Moulton appears to be a very palatable candidate in his own right which makes my decision all the easier.

3. Anonymous September 5, 2014 at 5:02 pm #

Yes, I will vote for Tierney. If you look at the big picture, Tierney believes in the same issues I do. Moulton will be looking to compromise with Republicans, and there is NOTHING that Is worthy of compromise with republicans. They have destroyed the country for years with their “trickle on” agenda.
    I am a democrat, and I will vote for the MORE Democrat candidate, John Tierney.

4. My View September 5, 2014 at 6:20 pm #

I can not possibly imagine what it would be like to live with my head in the sand like the people that support Tierney do. I can tell you honestly that I do not know Seth Moulton from a hole in the wall, and do not believe that prior military experience qualifies someone to be a congressman. I can tell you though that I have not seen 1 Tierney sign, see that he is apparently dodging debates, and his campaign commercials are laughable at best! He speaks of Moulton recieving $$ from super PACs. As I read here before, at least we know where it is coming from. Not like it’s the Cayman Islands.

• Anonymous September 5, 2014 at 8:21 pm #

My view,
      I know where Tierney stands on the issues. I know he will not look to trim Medicare, I know he will not give tax breaks to the wealthy, I know he is not going to tinker with social security, or think that somehow we have to balance the budget on the backs of the middle class.
      He is a True and Reliable Democrat, and that is why I am going to vote for him.

That Moulton commercial about the gridlock in Washington and how he can cut through the gridlock… that gridlock is because or recalcitrant Republicans. That was the Republican game plan when Obama was elected and they have stuck with it and “gridlock” has succeeded.
      We need more dependable democrats in Congress to end the gridlock.

And that’s how I sees it.

• My View September 5, 2014 at 9:36 pm #

Hi Anon, I am really confused on your views here. Are you saying that Seth Moulton WILL give tax breaks to the wealthy and that he IS going to tinker with social security? And he also GOING TO trim medicare and balance the budget on the backs of the middle class? And he is going to do this all on his own?? Just curious, Obama has been in office for how many years now? How long has Tierney been in office? I can see he has done a great job with the grid-lock thus far. Why waste time and give him another 2 years to do nothing at all. I say give some fresh blood a chance and see what happens, we have all been watching the same ole same ole for decades with Tierney.

5. Anonymous September 5, 2014 at 11:01 pm #

Hi again my view,
    This “grid lock” stuff is the Republican strategy from the get go. You cannot see this? “Gridlock” is a Republican invention as part of their plan to regain Congress and the White House. To break the “gridlock” is to give into the Republican strategy.
    The only way to break “gridlock” is to vote for more Democrats and many less Republicans.
    I do not want Tierney to break the “gridlock” because then the Republicans would be getting their way, -as stated before, less medicare funding, less social security, budget cuts on the back of the middle class -aren’t these the things Republicans tout all the time???
    If Moulton wants to help break the gridlock, then he will only be giving into Republican demands, that is the last thing a Democrat should consider
    It really is that simple and why I trust Tierney to be tough and stand up to the Republican shenanigans, (as he has), and that is what I am looking for. I am sick and tired of the republican blame game and I will not fall for it.

• Bob Croce September 6, 2014 at 9:44 am #

Anon, your logic here is twisted. First off, Seth Moulton is a DEMOCRAT. How is him getting elected playing into Republican hands? Secondly, there are polls out there now that suggest that Moulton has a better chance of beating Tisei than Tierney does right now. That being the case, you could make a legit argument that a vote for Tierney on Tuesday was playing into Republican hands. Am I right?

• My View September 6, 2014 at 10:04 am #

Bingo Mr. Croce. Many can say that Seth Moulton is not a true Democrat, I think it is because he seems to be fiscally conservative. You and the polls are all correct, Tierney CAN NOT beat Tisei again!! Moulton CAN!! You want to lose the seat to the republicans than vote for Tierney in the primary. I don’t play the party game, I vote for the best candidate and always have. In my opinion it is only the old school local pols that even give a hoot about the partys. Most of the newer generation pols are unenrolled and the numbers are growing stronger in that direction. So that being said…If Tierney wins the primary I will vote for Tisei. However I am routing heavily for Moulton.

• Bob Croce September 6, 2014 at 10:34 am #

I agree with you that we should ALWAYS vote for the best candidate. By the way, this idea that Moulton is a Republican in disguise is a totally absurd smoke screen. I’m a conservative Democrat, and I view Seth as a liberal on most issues. But even though there are things I don’t agree with him on, I feel that the Democratic Party’s survival is tied to candidates like him.

Clearly, the Democrat Party has nationally been taken over by the far left. But that’s not the main thing that bothers me as a Democrat. That’s just a trend, which will change like all trends. The really big problem with our party nationally is the fact that we have elected officials who are corrupt, and have been in office far too long. Congressman Tierney is owned by every left-leaning special interest group out there. He isn’t serving us, he’s serving people who put money in his campaign coffer.

Right now, at least, Seth Moulton is his own man. I’m sure that will change to some degree if he’s elected, since Washington seems to corrupt everyone. But for now, it would be nice to start with a clean slate, with a Congressman who is a breath of fresh air.

But again, what should concern EVERY Dem in the 6th District is the fact that it’s looking more and more like Tierney cannot beat Tisei.

6. Justmy2cents September 5, 2014 at 11:28 pm #

I agree with “My View”. When is the rest of the 6th district going to wake up? From now on I want to see results to influence my vote, I see nothing here from Tierney OR Dunne. Please don’t ever compare Joyce’s constituent service or tenure as an elected official to Dunne, it is like comparing apples to oranges.

7. Anonymous September 6, 2014 at 11:43 am #

Over past six years of Obama and Tierney the middle class is worse off and the rich have only gotten richer – yet it’s the Republicans fault!?! Liberal policies to not help the poor or middle class – Libs want to keep people down so they can keep blaming republicans and KEEP THIER OWN JOBS. I know the crazy lefties will never admit this but I sure hope these rest of us wake up and get rid of these self serving politicians.

8. Anonymous September 6, 2014 at 2:30 pm #

“Over past six years of Obama and Tierney the middle class is worse off and the rich have only gotten richer – yet it’s the Republicans fault!?! ”

Absolutely! Yes, it is the republican’s fault, remember the Grand Bargain that the Repubs backed away from? Remember the Simpson-Bowles Commission that Repubs wouldn’t support because they would do away with the wealthy tax cuts? Yes, the repubs have always and will always be for the rich guy and corporations at the expense of the middle class.
    You have been duped by the trickle on Republican agenda, a burn and scorch strategy for the middle class. They don’t even want to raise the minimum wage, -a sure way to keep people in poverty.

As for Moulton, his major campaign strategy is to raise the specter of this “gridlock” we have in Congress, a gridlock that is the republican strategy to get what they want, mainly to balance the budget on the backs of the middle class. I don’t want my democrat congressman to try and break this “gridlock” because this would only be caving into the Republican strategy, which I have no use for. Republicans created gridlock with their just-say-no to compromise.

We need more democrats and way less Republicans. And Tierney is a strong democrat.

As for the argument that Moulton has a better chance to beat Tisei, the republican. If your reason is to vote for someone based on the next election, and not to vote your conscience, then you do not value the vote as dearly as I.
    But… If Tierney loses, the money is going to pour into Tisei’s war chest from all sorts of Republican PACS. Tierney has a war chest to match this. Republican operatives will be less likely to contribute if Tierney is the Democrat because they donated last time, -and lost.
    Plus the scandal from Tierney’s brother in law, is two years older, and old news.

9. Harry Birmingham September 6, 2014 at 2:47 pm #

As you all know I can not vote nor can I give recommendations of who you should vote for. However and yes I do have the right to ask any one who they feel will be elected in my former city because I still have an interest in the city and it future. I choose to ask ,-first and fore most,- the real person called OG who his picks are . May be he will then start calling Peabody a brighter place to live in politically rather than a dark one. Then the other readers can give their opinion[s] ,contrasting or not, with his views . That alone would make the site more politically vibrant in response to his and other peoples responses . I promise you that I will not respond to the thoughts of those who do respond,not even by OG’s own picks. I do have my own thinking of who will get to be the primary finalists running for the elective offices in the final election but I can’t say who my choices are as I can’t vote in the city. One can call this a challenge of sorts to all who read here as you can still remain anonymous in your response[s].

• Just Thinking September 6, 2014 at 9:22 pm #

Harry, Thanks for your comments. Your experiences in Peabody, aka the Dark City, makes you more than “qualified” to express your opinion on the upcoming event..
      I’m afraid politics, dirty as it is, is doing well in Peabody and the rest of the Congressional district. Thanks to the selfish power created by the greedy politicians the lap dog local and state officials and the mindless electorate, all of whom are looking for their handouts from the King JT will re-elect Tierney. I am sure the unions are manning the phone banks as I type.

One can only hope.

PS: Maybe Tierney could get us the odds on this bet.
      PPS: I heard they are checking the obits for absentee ballots.

• Justmy2cents September 6, 2014 at 11:09 pm #

Agreed “just thinking” it certainly is a nasty web that Mr. Tierney weaves. I think his campaign manager may have screwed up here though! The nasty lie literature was delivered today. I think he “shot his load” too soon! Monday is now wide open for Seth to counter!

• Harry Birmingham September 7, 2014 at 7:16 am #

I’m going to refer you readers to my 9/6 @ 2:47 blogging —– Where oh where can OG be?? Did he get blown away in the storms we had yesterday ? He usually has some kind of come back to have his say in an usually very prompt manner of what he offers to the cities political scene. Who knows!, maybe he is still trying to figure out who he should pick as his choices . Maybe he will let us know after the primary with some kind of excuse for being tardy in his selections for elective office for us to see before then.