Poll: Who will you vote for in Peabody State Rep Democratic primary?

4 Sep

James Moutsoulas

James Moutsolas

Beverley Griffin Dunne

Beverley Griffin Dunne

With less than a week to go before the Sept.9th state primary, let’s see where The Eye audience stands when it comes to the most-important local race on the Democratic side.

Who do you prefer to be the Democratic nominee for State Rep in the 12th Essex District: Beverley Griffin Dunne or James Moutsoulas?

Please be honest, though, and ONLY take our poll if you are eligible to vote on the Democratic side on Tuesday, and you live in the 12th Essex District (Peabody Wards 1-4; Ward 5, precincts 1 and 3 only). Only vote in our poll if you are either a registered Democrat or an unenrolled voter who plans to take a Democratic ballot.

I would appreciate your honesty here so we can get some indication on where our growing audience is trending.

I’ve set this up so you can only vote once.

29 Responses to “Poll: Who will you vote for in Peabody State Rep Democratic primary?”

1. Just Thinking September 4, 2014 at 11:58 am #

Saw the show last night. Unfortunately, Beverely believes in spending other people’s money,aka the taxpayers’. According to her, Government is the solution to unemployment. Clearly hiring more hacks is a priority for her. She can’t wait to get in there! To paraphrase Bev, ” It’s who you know in government.” And she knows EVERYBODY!

• My way of thinking September 4, 2014 at 12:06 pm #

I saw the Make the Call show too and I thought she answered the right way when it came to saving our money. She is against the gas tax for example and she said she will not take the per diem. I will bet you anything that Demo takes the per diem and makes us poor working slobs pay for his gas into the state house if he gets elected

• Independent Voter September 4, 2014 at 12:29 pm #

You are assuming that either Dunne or Demo will be elected – As an independent, I pan on voting for Leah Cole. She is well spoken and has done a good job so far. A pleasant surprise. Why would Dunne say she would not take the Per Diem??? She helps herself to the taxpayer funded health insurance while she is an attorney and her husband an employee of the Federal Government. Bear in mind this perk she helps herself to is while she holds a part time position on the school committee. Believe half of what Dunne says. She’s not who she would like you all to believe…se’s out for herself and no one else. And of course Moutsoulas would take it. Hopefully, neither one will have the chance.

• Bob Croce September 4, 2014 at 12:32 pm #

Independent voter, I am not “assuming” anything. This poll has nothing to do with the final election in November, when Leah Cole will be on the ballot. This is ONLY about Tuesday’s primary. We’ll definitely do another poll later to see who our audience favors on the final ballot.

2. Anonymous September 4, 2014 at 12:23 pm #

I think either way this is going to be a close outcome on Tuesday because of what is project to be a very low turnout. If the predictions are right you could be looking at about only 3,000 people voting in this particular race.

3. Anonymous September 4, 2014 at 12:28 pm #

Just wondering why the major route from Peabody into Boston is not more of an issue in these State Rep campaigns?

Traveling Rt 1 is an absolute nightmare and it never seems to be on anybody’s radar. There is a litany of issues here; (1) the road surface is awful and hasn’t been paved in years (except for the section right before/after the bridge), (2) the road goes from 2 to 3 to 2 lanes in multiple spots creating unnecessary congestion, and (3) the Tobin bridge has been at 2 lanes and under construction for years.

How many decades do we have to live with that ridiculous and dangerous 2 lane section in Revere? Expand the road already. Where are our reps on this issue?

4. Justmy2cents September 4, 2014 at 1:32 pm #

What happened to the previous thread? On this topic I think Moutsolous wins, he is working hard and deserves it. Waving at passing cars is not working. Did you ask Bev if she plans on holding 2 seats at once? I did not get a chance to watch the show.

• Bob Croce September 4, 2014 at 1:37 pm #

Beverley said she would give up her School Committee seat if she won.

5. A-1 Voter September 4, 2014 at 1:48 pm #

Well that is refreshing news. I was told recently that she was planning to keep the school committee seat until the term ended. In my opinion, that would be double-dipping and no different than a city councilor trying to get a job as a meter reader. I can say though, I believe Leah Cole will wuin this race hands down and it will not be close. I saw an article on Patch today about Tierney dodging debates before the Sept. 9 primary. Any thoughts on this issue?

6. Anonymous September 4, 2014 at 2:11 pm #

At least Bev gets permission from the homeowners before she puts a sign up on their property. Demo couldnt put up a fraction of the signs he has out if he actually asked permission. My neighbor woke up with a Demo sign on her lawn and finally had to put it in her garage when Demo’s people wouldn’t come by to pick it up. Nice work by his campaign.

• Anonymous September 4, 2014 at 2:33 pm #

For the record, I’m a registered Independent and will be voting for Bev, simply because she is truly the best person for the job and Peabody would be lucky to have her. I make the above comment because I can’t sit idly by and watch another campaign abuse the process like I have watched Demo do; the situation I described is not isolated in the least.

7. Independent Voter September 4, 2014 at 2:51 pm #

Bob Croce, my comment of 12:29pm was a reply to My Way of Thinking’s post

• Bob Croce September 4, 2014 at 2:53 pm #

Gotcha.

8. Anon September 4, 2014 at 5:35 pm #

Personally I’m a bit PO’d that Demo would run for city council then decide to run for state rep after being elected. I will not vote for him for that reason alone. Should he get elected, he’ll cost the city a special election to fill his ward council seat.

• Anonymous September 4, 2014 at 5:59 pm #

Anon, I am having the same problem with both. Bev and Demo ran their respective races last year fully knowing they both would jump into this race. I cannot, in good conscience, vote for either, as much as I like Bev and dislike Demo..

• Anonymous September 4, 2014 at 6:41 pm #

Amon, agree whole heartedly. I feel that both Bev (whom I like very much) and Demo (whom I don’t very much) should be viewed the same. Both ran last year for their respective seats knowing full well they were going to run for state rep. I feel like my vote for Beverly last election has been thrown away. I cannot vote for either in this primary or the general election in November.

• Just Thinking September 5, 2014 at 9:38 am #

As with Beverley running, neither would have to give up their city seats. No special election required. Get out and vote. No excuses

PS: If your thinking about Demo, It goes both ways Bev is probably worse. She ran for this seat last time. Didn’t give up the school committee seat while running for the state job. Clearly a benefits grab. A lawyer looking out for number UNO. Look at Tierney. Say no more.

• Bob Croce September 5, 2014 at 10:05 am #

Just Thinking, I usually agree on things with you, but I have to call you out this time for saying that Beverley is “a lawyer looking out for number UNO.” The fact is that Beverley Dunne doesn’t have a greedy lawyer bone in her body.

Do you realize that many of the people who seek her counsel can’t afford to pay her much, if anything, for her expertise as a attorney? Yet… Beverley helps them anyhow, and in many instances for free. She is not a wealthy person.

If you want, you can be critical of how she stands on certain issues, and even write that you don’t think she’d be a good state rep. But it’s totally unfair to question her character as a human being. She’s a good person, and that’s indisputable.

9. My View September 5, 2014 at 10:28 am #

Saw Demo out waving last night out in front of South Peabody Liquors. See Beverley out there waving too, in front of Hess is West Peabody. It seems both candidates are putting in the time. I am paying really close attention to this race, as I am undecided thus far. I have been following the blogs now for several years, and I find them interesting and sometimes just good for a laugh! However, I do notice on occassion that sometimes shady local political stuff gets introduced to the public and sometimes it makes that local paper by way of the blogs. I can tell you all from experience that looking at and participating in previous blog polls that the real results are usually the complete opposite of the blog results. It is easy enough to google the previous blogs and research this, they are all still out there sitting idle in cyber-space. I feel Jim will win the primary by a narrow margin, then Leah in the final. I see Seth Moulton beating Tierney AND Tisei both by narrow margins.

• Bob Croce September 5, 2014 at 10:38 am #

Thanks for reading and commenting, My View. I don’t know whether polls like this are an accurate reflection, since it’s definitely not scientific from a polling methodology standpoint. Essentially, what this poll reflects is the following:

— The opinion of those who regularly read The Eye

— The votes by close supporters of both candidates. If one candidate is better at getting their people to vote, that’s going to be reflected here.

— A small percentage of people who are not regular readers, and aren’t friends of either candidate.

Scientific polls use a specific methodology. Here, I’m just asking for random opinions. But then again, this poll can also be a very accurate indication on which candidate is creating more excitement and momentum right now.

I would say, though, that polls or anything else we post here, is way more credible than any previous blog. The reason for that is the fact that I stand behind The Eye. Let’s face it, those past bloggers could write just about anything they wanted, true or not, since they were anonymous, and there was no accountability.

• My View September 5, 2014 at 11:47 am #

Thank you for your response Mr. Croce. I am wondering if there is a candidate in either race that you would feel comfortable endorsing? Based on your commentary here, I would guess that you are a supporter of Beverley Dunne and Seth Moulton? Is that accurate? Also, something that I read above was that Beverley plans on keeping here seat on the school committee if she wins until the seat is up? Is that true information? I appreciate your views here, as well as you do mine! Thank you for providing a space like this for Peabody folks to participate. I almost 100% of the time agree with you. thanks again.

• Bob Croce September 5, 2014 at 12:07 pm #

Here’s the honest answer: I’m not planning to endorse anyone with The Eye, but I think it’s no secret that I consider Beverley a friend. That being said, I’m trying to do everything I can to ensure that the poll isn’t artificially favoring one candidate over the other. For example, I’m trying to ensure that you can only vote once.

As for Seth Moulton. I have a great deal of respect for him, especially when it comes to his military service. I’m also impressed with his education and business experience. I haven’t worked for his campaign or donated, though, and don’t plan to at this point out of respect for a close friend who requested that I refrain from doing so. This close friend dislikes Tierney personally, but like a lot of loyal local Democrats, feels obligated to support him for a couple of personal reasons.

Loyalty is the most-important thing to me, so out of loyalty to my friend (and not Tierney), I’ve tried my best to stay out of it during the primary fight. I’m not endorsing Moulton, but I think you can probably figure out who I’ll be voting for.

10. Anonymous September 5, 2014 at 10:56 am #

I think this poll is EXACTLY how it is going to come out on Tuesday. She tops the school committee ticket every time and would have won easy last time if Gravel did not run. No one other than Ward 3 people even knows Demo. Have you seen his campaign flyer? He looks like a corpse in his photo. Demo when are you going to learn that signs do not vote? This guy does not campaign at all other than his signs. He had a chance to go on TV the other night and he chose not to. I think he avoids talking to voters because he does not know anything about the issues. I saw him at the Brooksby Village forum and all he talked about was how he solved some small ward 3 issues. He is not qualified. I do not know if she is qualifed but this will not be close.

11. My View September 5, 2014 at 12:35 pm #

Thank you for your honesty. Anything about Beverley giving up her SC seat? I am on the fence here… this could decide my vote. thanks

• Bob Croce September 5, 2014 at 12:49 pm #

She said on “You Make The Call” this week that, if elected, she would give up her SC seat, but needs to figure out the timing in an effort to help the city avoid the cost of another special election, and to ensure that the SC isn’t missing one of its six votes for a period of time. But she said it’s likely she would give up her seat within no more than 9 months after being sworn in as state rep. For the record, Joyce Splillotis did a similar thing when she won the state rep seat as a councilor at-large.

12. Give it to Ben September 5, 2014 at 1:05 pm #

I live in ward 1 and will certainly be voting in this primary. I am awaiting the answer to this question also. Peabody already has too many greedy politicians, the empty seat could go to Ben Russell a overly qualified candidate from the past.

13. Give it to Ben September 5, 2014 at 1:41 pm #

Not the answer this voter was looking for, but very politically well written. Why wait the 9 months? The reason you wrote of, is not very well thought out. Her stepping down would not require a special election, it would be a simple vote of the Council!! No extra money, just extra money in her pocket while she double-dips for a period of 12 months. I will be voting for Jimmy Moutsovias. Thank you.

• Anonymous September 5, 2014 at 1:49 pm #

You should have written, “not the answer Ben Russell” was looking for. It is not a simple vote of the council, since there would still be more than two years left in her term if she were to resign right away. It would be a special election.And why is Ben Russell so great. I met him once and think is sort of a tool.

14. My View September 5, 2014 at 2:01 pm #

I think you should take a closer look at the city charter. It would absolutely be a city council vote to appoint someone to take the empty seat. I don’t think Ben Russell is the answer either. I seem to remember a similar situation several years ago with the previous mayor’s brother whom got appointed to the light board by the city councillors. I will vote for Mr. Moutsoulas.