14 Nov

The Peabody City Council – at least two courageous members – told the owner of the Stonewood Tavern last night that he just had to follow the rules. Sal Palumbo had originally planned to go before the council to “amend” his entertainment license to allow him to play host to bands at a nightclub he built as an addition to his successful restaurant on Lynnfield Street.

Councilor Barry Sinewitz

Councilor Barry Sinewitz

Problem was, he was looking to expand an entertainment license for a nightclub that he erected without city council approval. The city council back in July of 2011 approved a special permit for a 95-seat restaurant, which since opening had been a welcomed addition to the neighborhood.

But suddenly, several months ago, Mr. Palumbo added on a nightclub and began rocking the foundations of South Peabody with 8-piece bands. Last night, after understanding that his attempt to amend his entertainment license was going to fail, Palumbo requested that his petition be withdrawn without prejudice. The council agreed 9-0 to allow him to withdraw his petition, but not before Ward 6 Councilor Barry Sinewitz, and Councilor At-Large Anne Manning-Martin gave him a little rock performance of their own.

Councilor Anne Manning-Martin

Councilor Anne Manning-Martin

“You went wild over there. Wild,” Manning-Martin said while addressing Palumbo, and … she was just only warming up. “You’re a businessman doing business in Peabody, who in the near future needs to be kept on a short leash.”

Manning-Martin went on to say that she would like to ask the licensing board whether Stonewood had also violated it’s liquor license by opening the nightclub. “You should be fined,” she added.

Sinewitz was a little kinder, yet still made sure to let Palumbo know that his end-run around the process and the city council won’t be tolerated.  “What I wonder is whether he’s going to have bands there this Friday and Saturday night,” asked Sinewitz, who later made a motion for an emergency preamble for Mayor Ted Bettencourt to sign,  which requests that the police department visit the Stonewood this weekend to ensure that no live bands will be performing.

While Manning-Martin and Sinewitz handed out what seemed like the perfect response in this situation. other councilors leaned more toward sending Mr. Palumbo for a timeout in chair in his dining room. Ward 1 Councilor Barry Osborne, who really owns some of the responsibility here for not letting Palumbo know that he needed to bring his nightclub plans before the city council, sounded at times like he wanted to give the Stonewood owner a hug while telling him to please be good from now on.

Most of the other council members were totally silent.

Great work by Manning-Martin and Sinewitz.

As Sinewitz put it perfectly: “This isn’t a witch hunt. It’s about following the rules.”

32 Responses to “Stonewood owner asked to play by rules; Councilors Manning-Martin, Sinewitz shine”

1. the Outfront Guy* November 14, 2013 at 10:23 pm #

OG says…based on what I read here it seems that Barry and Ms Manning said what needed to be said…too bad the councilor for that ward is asleep at the wheel….but strong words are only words….the real test is what the reaction and solution is from the Stonewood Tavern ownership…..and that’s how OG sees it.

2. honeyandme November 15, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

Mr. Palumbo does not like to play by the rules. He paid the right people off and thought he got away with it. Most people who know him will find out fast that he is a snake and will want to stay away from him. Congrats to B. Sinewitz and Martin-Manning for taking a stand. Palumbo will find another way to go behind everyone’s back. The neighbors have been accommodating to him and they finally realize what they are dealing with. He takes no responsibility and is accountable to no one. Everyone is wise to his deception.

3. Anonymous November 16, 2013 at 3:29 pm #

I heard there was a band paying last night. So much for playing by the rules…..

4. peabody_insider November 16, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

I heard that there was a live band there last night. Anyone have any info? Does this warrant a fine? Palumbo asks what the definition of a night club is… How about 2 bars a disco ball and a dj booth?

5. peabody_insider November 16, 2013 at 8:53 pm #

Live band there tonight too. I am here.

6. Lynnfield Street November 16, 2013 at 11:20 pm #

Again tonight. Police I heard are responding. This guy is giving a big FU to the residents and the city. Time to shut his ass down for good and I mean the entire place.

7. Sick and tired of this November 16, 2013 at 11:24 pm #

What is going on? Why is this guy still operating illegally with these bands after the city council told him to shut it down? Arrest his crooked ass and throw him in jail. I live around the corner and this is ridiculous. What can people do whatever they want and get away with it. What about our ward councilor Osborne. He is a sleaze bag too apparently. Time to throw his ass out of office.

8. #PeabodyTownie November 17, 2013 at 6:07 pm #

The councilors need to grow a pair and stop putting themselves in situations where they look weak. I wouldn’t be suprised if a few of them were on the take. Sal and his cronies couldn’t be bothered to play by the rules. I could probably open up a sub shop and turn it into a strip club if I greased the right wheeels in this town and hired his lawyer.

9. Have some testicular fortitude November 18, 2013 at 11:32 am #

Ok, so we now know for a fact that there was live entertainment there both Friday and Saturday night after this was all supposedly taken care of at the council meeting on Thursday night. So what is going to happen? In know if you over-serve a bar patron or an under-age individual you loose your license to serve alcohol for a few days. What happens when you directly and willingly ignore an order from the elected city officials in Peabody? I am willing to bet nothing happens. He should be fined and closed for a few days. You all watch, before you all know it we will be looking at another Oliviera’s Steakhouse type of situation if the people in officve don’t start to hold these people accountable.

• Anonymous November 18, 2013 at 12:16 pm #

OG says. Do we know for a fact that all booked live entertainment had to be canceled after last week’s council meeting??? Didn’t Plumb ask to delay his hearing thus buying himself more time ???

10. Peabody_Insider! November 18, 2013 at 2:39 pm #

They never had the permit to begin with! Just a slap in the face.

11. Anonymous November 19, 2013 at 8:40 am #

I have to say that I really enjoy the Stonewood. All they’re trying to do is to provide good entertainment to their patrons. I understand he didn’t play by the rules by getting the proper permits, but it’s not liking he is selling to minors, or conducting drug deals here. He’s providing a great place for people to come and enjoy themselves. I’d just like to say thanks Stonewood for FINALLY providing a great looking establishment that’s actually fun to go to!

12. Resident of Peabody November 19, 2013 at 9:47 am #

It’s time to mention the positive things Mr. Palumbo has done for the City of Peabody!
    The area around Stonewood has never looked so good! With all the insulting comments from Barry Sinwitz and Anne Manning-Martin, neither mentioned the financial good he has generated for our city and all the jobs he has provided. It’s to bad my neighbors don’t remember what a dump the area looked like before the plaza was built.

I also held a fund-riser there in the function room “Disco Ball Night-Club” that was provided at no charge and a percentage of the restaurants proceeds got donated. That is a big deal for the many people who put a-lot of time and passion into helping others. Not just a high school!

It sounds to me like Mr. Palumbo is making every effort to rectify the councilors concerns and I’d love to hear all the facts.

Can someone tell me where the information about nude dancers came from?

Does Mr. Sinewitz behavior have anything to do with his relationship with the owners of Capone’s.

I’m not proud we have representatives for Peabody making comments like “ kept on a short leash” if Manning wants to be so unprofessional maybe Sinewitz should put her on a leash! I was appalled and embarrassed to watch their behavior during the Council meeting.

Neighbor of Stonewood

• Don't kid yourself November 19, 2013 at 8:26 pm #

This has to be the funniest post I have seen yet! “Neighbor of Stonewood”! You are obviously not a neighbor or you would not be posting positive comments. And to post a yelp page too! Must be a slow morning setting up the restaurant if the manager on duty and post comments here on this blog.

13. Tammy November 19, 2013 at 11:16 am #

Speaking from personal experience, Sal has given back to the community. The Tavern gave a generous donation to the high school athletic program on behalf of my daughter. I also attended a fundraiser in October they hosted and 20% of the proceeds was donated to the youth program. I have been to the establishment on several occasions and enjoy being able to go out on a Saturday evening with my girlfriends to listen to music, dance, socialize without having to worry about the environment or location, and its close to home!

• Above the law? November 19, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

So he gave to your kid at the high school so this means he can do whatever he wants? What if he decided to have naked dancing girls? Would that be OK as long as he gives some stupid gift to the high school? This is only about one thing. Sal did not follow the rules fro approval. Hell, I like to dance and listen to music too but the neighbors have to have a say. That is all. Maybe Sal is related to Mother Theresa. But don’t matter. Manning and Sinewitz are right . Just following the freaking rules and you will get your permit

14. welcome to the land of slacker officials November 19, 2013 at 1:37 pm #

So here is a question for all of you out there…

How many elected officials family members work at The Stonewood? Furthermore…relatives of people that work at City Hall.

15. ugot2bekiddingmeppl November 19, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww. someone who has created jobs and area for businesses to be built and grow your community …. SHAME ON YOU ALL!!!!!!

16. peabody_insider November 19, 2013 at 4:03 pm #

What is on the entertainment agenda for this weekend at Stonewood?

17. peabody_insider November 19, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

Ok so let’s all look at it this way>>

Say I was going to open a restaurant in Peabody and said “hey, look what that guy got away with” and did everything that he did too. The city could not punish me any differently than they did Mr. Palumbo, which they did not. YET I could wage a law suit against the city if they tried to enforce any type of fine or punishment. This is opening a can of worms and exposing the weakness of our ward 1 and at-large councilors.

As for you “ugot2bekiddingmeppl” my guess is that you are not a neighbor to this establishment.

18. neighbor of Stonewood November 19, 2013 at 7:54 pm #

I’m not sure what’s on the agenda for this weekend but I can’t wait to go. I’m a neighbor of Stonewood and I’m not sure what everybody is up in arms about? I’d like to know what terrible things have gone on there. It’s a classy, safe place to relax and meet friends. Maybe the councilors should bring the junk yard back.

• Management 101 November 19, 2013 at 9:23 pm #

You should not be in the office blogging during dinner hours.

• neighbor of Stonewood November 20, 2013 at 7:21 am #

when I’m in the office I don’t have time to sit at a computer and make offensive comments. Also, I am a life long neighbor for over 40 years and do not work at Stonewood. Is it safe to assume you have no sickly children or family members and can’t appreciate the value of donations and help from others? Still no answer to my question, what terrible things have happen at Stonewood or around OUR neighborhood? Ok, maybe he went “wild” with regards to permits, so fine them! I’d also like to hear all the facts. For the record I love Barry Osborne and I will continue to support him. Off to work have a great day.

19. Looking for Ward 1 Candidate November 19, 2013 at 10:01 pm #

Hopefully we here in ward 1 can get someone to run against Osborne.

20. Looking for Ward 1 Candidate November 19, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

Hoping to find a good candidate to represent the good citizens is ward 1.

21. Anonymous November 20, 2013 at 4:34 pm #

We had a good candidate when Forti was running against Osborne. but this ward must be brain-dead. Osborne is useless. WHY do people keep voting for this guy ?

22. peabody_insider November 20, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

Ward 1 is like the retirement section of Peabody. What do I mean by this? Looking at current data the ward 1 section of Peabody has not turned over yet…meaning that there are a lot of people that are in their mid to late 70’s and even 80’s residing in the ward. Not many new, young families looking for better, improved city parks, schools, streets…etc. This is why the incumbent will always win in ward 1, unless of course he decides to step down. Looking at new statistics, people over the age of 55 are more likely to vote for the incumbent than for change.

23. the Outfront Guy* November 20, 2013 at 5:29 pm #

OG says…oh please…stop the whining about how the ‘good’ candidates don’t get elected here in Dark City….this is a constant theme here and it serves no purpose…you want to know ‘why’ all of these ‘good’ candidates don’t get elected? NOT ENOUGH REGISTERED VOTERS BOTHER TO VOTE! end of story…and that’s how OG sees it.

24. Marie November 22, 2013 at 9:23 am #

I’ve been to the Stonewood a few times now and loved it. It was upscale compared to the surrounding restaurants and night clubs. I think the club brings a little bit of class to a somewhat suffering neighborhood. I understand the neighbors concern regarding noise and traffic, but honestly, they are living in a commercially zoned neighborhood and on a main street so there’s going to be noise and traffic regardless. I personally would be more concerned about the gas station a block down that could be causing their families health issues. So basically, commercially zoned means the area is zoned for business use and this includes all types so deal or move. I live behind a major Route and have cars, trucks, motorcycles and often police and ambulances going by at all hours of the day/night. You get used to it. I am certainly not going to fight the town to have the Route shut down or limit the types of vehicles that can use this route just so I don’t have to deal with it.

25. Marcy November 27, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

Palumbo is telling the neighbors exactly what they want to hear and actually making a fool of all of them. He’s selling them a line of goods. He the one who called the shots for the stage and sound system. He has had live 8 piece bands there since being told not too/ He has been on the dance floor making a idiot of himself. People that have worked for him know how he plays the game that’s why they all quit. Beware of him. He’ll try anything to blame everyone else. People who know him stay clear of him. Poor neighbors around stonewood

26. the Outfront Guy* December 3, 2013 at 10:44 pm #

OG says…this wily man about town stopped in at the Stonewood this past Saturday evening…the owners have dropped some serious cash into the decor of this place–this is nice to see here in Dark City…it seems like they transplanted the old cougar and Old Spice crowd from the legendary Vogue into the place as opposed to a younger more rowdy crowd… they had a 5 piece band up there cranking out the non stop wedding playlist hits and the place was doing a real good bar business….did not notice any ‘bouncers’ or door men on site unless I missed them…no cop on private duty…and I did not hear any noise out in the parking lot when I was leaving….so maybe I am just not clear on what the neighborhood fuss is all about beyond the technically insufficient permit…when the parking lot is full and it was on Satuday night I can see that they are just across the street from some homes….perhaps the noise issues may occur some nights at ‘closing time’??

27. Anon December 6, 2013 at 11:49 am #

According to recent articles published the owner states that he fired a few employees and hired new ones. Does this mean that the whole situation goes away? From what I understand he is still violating his original special permit and having 5-8 piece bands playing there on weekend nights. Is the city going to crack down on this or let it slip through the cracks as always? Maybe it is time to think outside the box when electing individuals into office here in Peabody, or promoting those elected officials to higher office. Nothing seems to want to change here and the longer we let this happen the slippery slope gets even more slippery.

On a different note, I have recently heard that the Mobile Estates mobile park on Rt. 1 is now renting out homes to section 8 housing. Just curious if there are special permits warranted for this and if they have been pulled and properly filed. Also not sure how section 8 housing is zoned or how it works, is that area zoned for section 8 housing?

If anyone out there knows anything about this please feel free to fill me in because I am curious and uneducated on this issue.