Grateful for family, friends, and supporters met along the way

7 Nov

SUNRISEIt’s tough losing an election. The months of hard work puts major stress on not only the candidate, but his family and friends too. When things don’t work out on election night, there is shock, followed by disappointment, and then some frustration.

But if you did it right, and still lost, if you truly ran a campaign where you put the focus on helping people and sticking up for neighbors and neighborhoods, election night’s disappointment fades as quickly as that next day’s sunset.

Today, I have reached that point. The sun came up this morning, just as it always does, and with it came satisfaction for this former candidate. Despite battling money and power, we lost the election for Ward 5 Councilor by just 89 votes. Despite having what seemed like the entire Ward 5 political and business establishment against me because I promised to always be on the side of taxpaying residents, our underdog campaign almost pushed it across the goal line in sudden death overtime.

We fell short, but we’re not disappointed anymore. Why? Because we had the right message and we put a scare into those whom are more interested in making a buck than they are with protecting the quality of life of residents. We scared them so much that they filled my opponent’s campaign war chest with thousands of dollars, and helped with a massive get out the vote effort on election night.  Their GOTV effort was just better than our GOTV effort, and they made sure since they wanted no part of this independent-minded Ward 5 Councilor candidate.

But I know as well as anyone that this will always be the nature of politics, and at the end of the day, people get to choose who they want based on what they hear and who they like. That’s America at its finest, and I believe in the system. We lost. That’s just the way it is.

Mr. Saslaw and his team were just able to convince a few more people than we could. He now says he’s with the residents, and I wish him well in his pursuit. I expect, though, that it’s going to be hard to say no to developers who just covered you in cash, and carried you across the finish line.

As for me, I’m just not sure where the political winds will blow me. It’s too soon to do anything other than thank those family members and friends whom I love, and tell them how much I appreciate everything they did for me. There are too many names to name here, so I anticipate writer’s cramp from so many thank you notes in the coming weeks.

I’ll also never forget the people who supported me because they liked my message when I came to their doors during the long campaign. Today, just as I was starting to feel down again, an elderly woman from my neighborhood — who I didn’t even know before meeting her on Election Day — called to tell me it was a “pleasure voting for you.” And then, she told me a story that inspired me to start thinking about my next step.

It was a story about her son, who was diagnosed with dyslexia back in the 1950s, only at first they didn’t know what it was, and because of it he began failing in school. Persistence and a mother’s love and determination forced this son to not give up.

He somehow made it through the Peabody Schools, and kept working hard enough to make it into college. Despite several setbacks along the way, the son — pushed by his wonderful mom — not only graduated from college, but went on to grad school and then got his PhD in education. He just recently retired from his job as Superintendent of Schools for a South Shore community.

His mom, meanwhile, despite being 87-years-old, legally blind and needing a walker, made it to the polls at the Kiley School on Tuesday after our campaign was able to give her a ride.  When I thanked her for going above and beyond to support me like that, all she said to me was:

“You’re a good guy. You deserved it. I didn’t give up on my son, and I wasn’t going to give up on you.”

You know, maybe I did go down to defeat because I said I would always take the side of residents like this great lady who is my neighbor. But … I think I can live with that, and even start sleeping through the night again.

Here’s to another beautiful sunrise.

33 Responses to “Grateful for family, friends, and supporters met along the way”

1. Anonymous November 7, 2013 at 5:12 pm #

Good for you Joel Saslaw. Mr. Richard Marchese has turned a horrible eye sore of a property into a very attractive commerical area and Peabody should be proud. You people are all not in my backyard morons. We need more people like Mr. Marchese, Gamache and Saslaw who understand business means progress and lower tax rates in Peabody. More development the better. They are not even close to any neighborhoods. cry all you want. I know these fine men and was proud to donate a check myself to keep idiots like you from serving these idiots you call residents. Go get em Joel.

• 01960 November 8, 2013 at 9:16 pm #

Yes, Joel did win, albeit with some help from the developers on Route 1. Developers like Mr Marchese who have turned backyards on Winona and Anderson into swamps. Is that something to brag about? Be proud of? Why should we care more about businesses that don’t respect their neighbors than the actual residents of this city? Or as you would call the residents, ‘idiots’. If you’re from Peabody, that shows how much you respect your neighbors. Anonymous, Bob Croce is not an idiot- he’s an honest man that believes that councillors should represent the residents’ best interest, and work with law-abiding business owners to make this city better.

2. Just a guy from the hood November 7, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

Well done there Robert. I think this is a really honest look at what happened here. It was the residents against the developers and the developers won fair and square this time. You will get ’em next time, my friend.

3. the Outfront Guy* November 7, 2013 at 7:09 pm #

OG says….whoa! whoa! whoa all you Croce supporters! (sorry, bet you thought I was going to be a Salem News reporter didn’t ya?) the Eye on Peabody blog lives on under the stewardship of the recently repudiated Bob Croce and this post election season has prompted the return of the wily and unpredictable blog legend-the Outfront Guy! Hell out there Dark City and wouldn’t you agree that this Ward 5 race certainly turned out to be a bit interesting? It seems like “Gamache Country” came out in support of “Rhymes with Cole Slaw” and the voters have spoken. OG has to applaud “Rhymes with Cole Slaw” for winning an election here in Dark City the first time running for elected office. That is not easy to do…and he has done it ..by what was it-93 votes?….and once again we see Teflon Ted take his customary seat ‘on the fence’ and remain neutral, quiet and low key. Geez, that reminds me of his days when he was serving on our City Council! …..but OG’s curiosity has been aroused. Normally, these local ward races are not heavily financed but our fearless, punch drunk, and understandably frustrated editor here is suggesting that “Rhymes with Cole Slaw” has been financially backed by developers…so OG wants to see the beef! where can we find out who actually supported “Rhymes with Cole Slaw”? where is that information available to the public? as for our fearless editor let me say this…sometimes passion and perseverance just don’t prevail in life even though we expect them to…all we can do now is hope that “Rhymes with Cole Slaw” serves those Ward 5 voters with integrity and responsiveness…keep your head held high and know that you fought the good fight…and that’s how OG sees it!

4. Anonymous November 8, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

Bob. The best man didn’t win and everyone knows it. I voted for you around 6 on election day and I could not believe how many Gamache family members were working the polls. Something stinks. I live near you on Donna Street and I do not know a single neighbor or friend who voted for Asslaw.

5. Gerry November 8, 2013 at 5:02 pm #

I do not get it either. I do not really know either man but when I watchthe videos of their interview it was not even close who the best guy was for the job. Mr. Croce is very well spoken and intelligent. Mr. Saslaw did not seem to have a very good grasp of issues. I am sure he is a good guy and all but I was really surprised by the results on Tuesday. Shame because the better candidate did not win for sure.

6. The Outfront Guy* November 8, 2013 at 5:41 pm #

OG says….reality check please ..”Rhymes with Cole Slaw” got more votes than Croce in both wards 5-1 and 5-2 based on numbers that I see in the Peabody Patch…Croce prevailed in ward 5-3. So you can talk all you want about your Donna Street neighbors and what you were ‘hearing’ but the rabbit was pulled out of the hat at the voting booth by the Saslaw camp…for a first time candidate in Peabody he prevailed against the norm that we usually see here in Dark City…now it would be interesting to hear exactly HOW he did it….did he knock on more doors? did he make more phone calls? we know he had more money but how was that money effectively used? should we be concerned with who donated all that money? these are the questions that this resident has when we look back at the results…in fact, I have similar amazement when I look at the drubbing that newbie McGinn gave to the incumbent Athas in Ward 2….this is not the ‘norm’ here in Dark City and that’s how OG sees it !

• Anonymous November 9, 2013 at 6:21 am #

If memory serves me correctly you changed your “Dark City” comments to” Bright City” after many comments to you on your constant put downs of the city with the use of “Dark City”. Why the change back to “Dark City”?

7. anonymous November 8, 2013 at 5:43 pm #

I can’t believe the city of Peabody would allow Gamaches family to work in the polls in ward 5. Even if they did nothing wrong it looks unethical. Gamache was pretty vocal in his support of Saslaw. All his sign locations and supporters we’re out in full force for Saslaw. If this is true someone in the city should be fired.

8. Bob Croce November 8, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

Sorry, folks. Lot of comments out of control here tonight, so I decided to delete some. I’ve left others, since I feel they are fair comment. Let’s please keep it within the realm of fair comment please. Thanks.

9. Anonymous November 8, 2013 at 8:51 pm #

Please stop with the attacks on Saslaw. It was Gamache who had his wife, daughter, sister in law and nana inside the voting polls. I would like to see the entire list of who worked those two precincts. Maybe there are other friends and family on the list that will
    open some eyes. This puts a dark cloud over the election. The state needs to step in and investigate.

10. Anonymous November 8, 2013 at 8:58 pm #

I saw a post on Facebook from Gamache’s sister in law telling everyone to vote for Saslaw. Then later I was at the polls at the Kiley and there she was sitting at the table handing out ballots. Isn’t that some sort of violation of voting laws? Is it legal for people to post on Facebook telling people to vote for someone while they are a poll worker? Is there an attorney out there who could answer this question? The evidence is right there still on Facebook. I just saw it a minute ago.

11. Legal Eagle November 8, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

Actually, if this happened the way you said it might be a violation of federal law and the person committing this act could go to prison. I hope it’s not true. It’s a pretty serious offense.

12. Anonymous November 8, 2013 at 9:17 pm #

Go to the Peabody Patch Facebook page and check it out for yourself. It is right there if they have not already deleted it. At 4:02 PM on election day, Sally Ouellette Savageau (isn’t that Gamache’s sister in law) writes “Vote Joel Saslaw.” Was she on duty at the polls at this time?

13. Wow November 8, 2013 at 9:27 pm #

Electioneering is illegal. You can go to jail for it. If I was Saslaw I would also be a little worried that the Secretary of State might void the results if he were to find that poll workers were persuading people to vote for him. I think the final result is already tarnished. If Croce is smart he will get a good election attorney and go after these bastards.

14. real ward 5 resident November 8, 2013 at 9:40 pm #

I think that this should be investigated in the fullest extent of the law. I did not know about the allegations until I read this blog about a half an hour ago. I then checked out the Patch Facebook page and see everything that you are all discussing here. I actually voted for Joel, but it looks like I may have made the wrong decision. This is right out there in the open and a clear violation. JMHO

15. FOB November 8, 2013 at 10:13 pm #

I hit print to. Where should I send this? To AG or Secretrary of State? What about the mayor? I will definitely send it to the mayor.

16. Anonymous November 8, 2013 at 11:03 pm #

OG says…wow…we have some nasty comments in this thread. While OG has been known to stir things up we seem to be crossing some lines of civility here….can we get back to the question of campaign contributions??????

17. Anonymous November 9, 2013 at 8:34 am #

Problem with the Gamaches is that they think they can do whatever they want to who ever they want and get away with it., Not this time I am guessing.

18. The Outfront Guy* November 9, 2013 at 9:07 am #

OG says…make no mistake that Gamache maintained a powerful grip on Ward 5 for years…but the real story in town may be the growing power base that we are seeing from the Ice Cream Man-Tom Gould…OG reads in the SNEWS that the Ice Cream Man had over 1000 volunteers and 138 people at the polls during this most recent election….those are some big numbers folks if they are real numbers! for some time it was believed that Teflon Ted was the only real political power broker here in Dark City but the Ice Cream Man is scooping up some growing power…is this town big enough for these two powerful political forces? that question will need to be answered and that’s how OG sees it!

19. Bob Croce November 9, 2013 at 1:13 pm #

Hi everyone. Thanks for sticking up for me. We are currently working this through the proper legal and other channels to ensure that the voting process at the Kiley was fair, and to call out anyone who might have violated laws against electioneering within 150 feet of the polls. But if you do have some additional info on what you either heard or saw while voting at the Kiley, please send it to my personal email (racroce@comcast.net). For those who have already sent us this info, thank you.

My main goal here is to ensure that this never happens to another candidate. The behavior of some poll workers at the Kiley on Election Day was incredibly unethical, and an embarrassment to the city.

20. Anonymous November 10, 2013 at 6:31 am #

Og read and comment on Nov.9th at 6:21 A.M. Your answer is necessary to clear up this “Dark City” reversal from the far better “Bright City” you were using. Thanx

• Anonymous November 10, 2013 at 11:16 am #

I’ll refer to this place however I see fit. This is referred to as freedom of speech

21. Anonymous November 10, 2013 at 12:52 pm #

You could call me a true Peabody guy. Family’s been here 100 years. I graduated from PHS in the ’60s. Seen alot. around here, but why is it that the only time I have ever seen any controversy or negative BS around an election in Peabody that it always seems to involve Dave Gamache. What is going on here that it makes this guy have a need to hold onto power at all costs? Why doesn’t anyone ever ask that question? Croce ran two other campaigns that I recall (councilor at large and school committee I believe) and we never heard of any controversy those times. He runs against Dave, however, about 15 years ago and against Gamache’s boy this time and there are problems.

That guy Tom O’Leary ran about 16, 17 years ago and he got harassing phone calls. I recall a woman named Jackie Foreman getting alot of negative stuff her way when she ran for Ward 5 Councilor. Thank God Dave is retiring. We don’t need this negative crap. People should have a right to run without being chastised or made to feel horrible about it. This is America.

22. Anonymous November 10, 2013 at 7:32 pm #

Bob you did not lose. It was stolen. Have the Sec. or State investigate because I can tell you there are some things that stink here. I will send you a private email to explain but it was not a legit victory by Saslaw in my opinion.

23. Anonymous November 10, 2013 at 7:45 pm #

Anon. 11/10 @11:16 am, Is you is or is you aint OG? I ask this because he writes with his name as OG when he posts. I wouldn’t want him to be blamed for some thing he didn’t write. In any response he , OG , he has the gumption to use his OG name where others of your caliber post only to fuel a fire w/o any real factual proof of what you write about and hide behind. I could be wrong about this anonymous post but I really don’t think so. Prove me wrong if your OG by writing your anon. writing once again word for word.

24. the Outfront Guy* November 11, 2013 at 9:03 am #

OG says..hey Anonymous…you don’t pull on Superman’s cape and you don’t spit in the wind…there is only one real OG and this is him! I always use my name tag when I post something so let’s not bog the spirited chat on this blog down with nonsense assertions and mindless speculation….sorry that my reference to Dark City irks you but sometimes OG has to rile up the masses to get a response! if I didn’t actually care about life here in Dark City then I wouldn’t waste my time blogging about it…so chill out..take a nice walk on this crisp fall day and let’s go on with the issues…and that’s how OG sees it!

• Anonymous November 11, 2013 at 8:21 pm #

You didn’t answer the question of ” is you is or is you ain’t” as was my intent to get you or that some one else to admit to who posted anonymously where you always or usually have used your OG name. Yes you do have a right to post but it doesn’t give you the right to insult our city with your Dark City crap. If you think it is a Dark City then just may be you should move to another town or city. You make constant commentaries about most every thing posted here and then you insult everyone by your description of Peabody. If you want to rile up things you do not have to be stupid enough to use the Dark City to do so. If memory serves me correctly they’re others who agreed with me in the past and in so many words Bob Croce had as well. It isn’t ” nonsense assertions and mindless speculation” when somebody tastefully makes a blogging statement however, your blogging here appears to be more than critical of people and the way of the political aspects of the community. Do you have any self respect for yourself and others you comment about? I think not. You get far more results with honey than you do with vinegar that is if you get my meaning,again only if you get my meaning. JMHO as usual !

25. the Outfront Guy* November 12, 2013 at 8:44 am #

OG says..hey Anonymous- are you my personal editor? while you are are entitled to your opinion about what I type you are by no means my personal censor….and that’s how OG sees it.

• Anonymous November 12, 2013 at 8:13 pm #

Why don’t you admit it when you’ve made a mistake trying to deal with me. I keep on you because you think everyone is supposed to kneel before you . You think your so right with every thing you comment on . You can’t stay positive and on track only to call the city dark. What is so dark about it is what I want to know? All that I see is a stubborn man that has no real regard in solving a problem except to cause what you admit is to rile up those who would rather have civil thoughts geared to some resolution blogged here. You do not help resolve any blogged concerns here and you do nothing to suggest what you think can be a resolution to any subject that comes up. You best leave things to those that are true Peabody people where you have admitted that you came here from elsewhere. You have no true interest in the city except to tic off those of us who do have the cities well being and interests when and with your “Dark City” attitude[s] and negative commentaries.

26. the Outfront Guy* November 13, 2013 at 8:49 am #

OG says..other than blast and condemn me what are your commendable contributions to this blog as an ‘anonymous’ poster? I have not seen one word of substance, opinion or suggestion from you. if you were a TV show you would be cancelled due to lack of interest and viewership. Apparently you are tickled pink with everything-a relative of Teflon Ted perhaps? and that is fine too….I would suggest that you go back and review my posts and you will see that they always include thoughts and opinions on local Dark City issues….you offer nothing but bluster when I am offering opinion which is the very reason why this and any blog exists….and that’s how OG sees it…and I am confident that our usual blog readers would agree with me.

• Anonymous November 13, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

I do not see your real name posted with your usual diatribes and what you say is your contributions to any published blog here be it input or question[s] from others by you. I do blog as you do under anonymous to protect myself from the obvious which you seem to do with your so called ” name” and comments that are mostly negative. As for my contributions to any thing on this site you can not say I don’t contribute any thing by my being anonymous. You apparently come from the Sherrys Corner area of Ward two where your views of the city are blocked by the motoring traffic, smog, and noise that clouds your ,please do forgive me, mind. I am not critical of the cities other residents ,just you. You should close your windows and try using bottled oxygen as an aid to your therapy to over come your obvious deficiencies. And yes, using your on going quote – that how I see it – as an anonymous contributor no different than you posting here.

• Bob Croce November 13, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

Gentlemen. At this point I ask that you please take your little personal debate “outside” of the blog. Maybe you can exchange email addresses, but it’s getting a little boring for the rest of our readership. Definitely feel free to post any constructive comments about the issues of the day. But I will no longer approve any future comments related to what has become a personal feud between the two of you. Thanks for respecting and accepting my request.