Peabody to partner with Salem State on master plan update

3 Feb

(The following is a press release from Mayor Ted Bettencourt’s office submitted to The Eye.)

sscMayor Edward A. Bettencourt, Jr. announced that the City of Peabody has partnered with Salem State University’s Center for Economic Development and Sustainability to help update criticalcomponents of the city’s Master Plan.

“In designing a blueprint for Peabody’s future, we are determined to tap into some of the best local resources available to us,” Mayor Bettencourt said.  “Salem State’s Center for Economic Development and Sustainability has established a sterling reputation for its work with a number of North Shore communities.  We are very excited to have them on board as key contributors to the Master Plan project.”

Established in 2009 to serve as a think tank for area businesses and municipalities, Salem State’s Center for Economic Development and Sustainability (CEDS) serves as a central repository for research and project data on the economic, environmental and social sustainability of the North Shore region. CEDS offers a variety of services to promote economic development while advancing the educational mission of Salem State, and providing educational opportunities for its students.

“CEDS is pleased to be partnering with the city of Peabody in providing data and technical expertise as the city develops a long-term Master Plan and community vision project,” said Salem State University President Patricia Maguire Meservey.  “I am confident that the resources of the university, along with the experience and expertise of the principals working on this project, will ensure the development of a solid plan to support the goals of the city.”

In the first update of Peabody’s Master Plan in over a decade,Mayor Bettencourt has sought a more cost effective approach thanin year’s past; and one with a decidedly local flavor. Per the Mayor’s request, the City Council appropriated $30,000 to contract with CEDS while previous Master Plan consultants – based mainly in Boston, cost taxpayers upwards of $100,000.

Meanwhile, Peabody is among Salem State’s largest feeder cities with some 495 undergraduate students, 78 graduate students and over 3,000 alumni who call Peabody home.  Some of those students may play a supporting role in the CEDS / Peabody project collecting data, conducting interviews and engaging in hands on classroom learning.

“Establishing a formal relationship with Salem State University is an idea whose time has come,” said Mayor Bettencourt.  “The city and the university share strong ties which stretch back throughgenerations of students, faculty and staff.  Our work together will serve to strengthen that bond for many years to come.”

24 Responses to “Peabody to partner with Salem State on master plan update”

1. the Outfront Guy* February 4, 2013 at 8:20 am #

OG says…this is progressive thinking and OG likes it! moving forward and saving a buck along the way…..this is what we need.

• Harry Birmingham February 4, 2013 at 11:13 am #

Ahh yes!!!!! But will you have the patience to see it through to its finalization is the real question knowing that and how you want things yesterday,today , and ,of course as early as tomorrow. Will you take part in the master plan quest or will you continue to just comment with the yesterdays ,today and tomorrows of what you alone want to be? You forget that there is need to follow through with all that is needed to make sure things are on the up and up in Peabody’s future for all persons after you and I are gone as time progress’s. Just an opinion that concerns me even if I do now live in New Hampshire .

2. the Outfront Guy* February 4, 2013 at 12:06 pm #

OG says…maybe you are ok or satisfied that this is the first update to our MASTER PLAN in well over a decade…maybe that is not a big deal for you…..now that you are retired you have all the time in the world to wait and sit for change…maybe the Master Plan has more symbolic value than real value…..but OG is not biting on this topic…I will let my comments above stand as typed….I see this as a wise and prudent move by Teflon Ted.

• Harry Birmingham February 4, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

No I’m not satisfied with it being the first update in over a decade. My response to you isn’t about that. It ,simply put, is about your never ending comments about nearly every thing on the site. You never seem to stop doing that and because of it I wonder why you do not seem to be in any way a solution to any of what you respond to. No, I’m not sitting on my ” retirement time” waiting for change[s] . There can not be any symbolic value than real time if those and or you are capable of bringing forward a good plan worthy of value to the city and its future growth potentials. This is another reason why I get on you to either shut up or put up. You had a big mouth let alone the opportunity to be a leader in the city when you had your own site. You do seem to devote as much time to ,and as I see it a big yes, on this site as you did when you had your own site. That does say a lot to me and those who had followed you then and are now here on this site. I have my own natural teeth to bite with but I prefer to taste and chew on real food where you seem to want to bite on every thing you want ,especially those many things you comment on that you wont actively take a part in . You can let your comments stand as typed but I see no action by you to actively join with the mayor to bring about a master plan except for your comments and every thing else you place comment on in this site. In all fairness I also think its a”wise and prudent move by Teflon Ted” to bring about the renewal of the master plan as well.

3. anonymous February 4, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

It looks like the master plan in Peabody is to erect massive billboards on every inch of property to raise money to pay for the new vocational school. Remember it’s for the kids.

4. the Outfront Guy* February 4, 2013 at 9:05 pm #

OG says…..you have it all wrong Harry B…..OG is not looking to be a leader in this city….we already have people who have decided that they want to be civic leaders and they have been ELECTED to do so….OG is a wonderful armchair quarterback who exhibits objectivity and insight that is not tainted with political ties, aspirations or affiliations….I am not looking to attract ‘followers’ but I am ever hopeful that we get more Bright City citizens involved and aware of local affairs..OG is happy to see that this site is attracting some hits and interest and I think the ratings are good because the site owner has chosen not to be anonymous and he keeps us focused on timely topics…now anyone who ‘likes’ what OG has to say does so because OG makes a hell of a lot of sense when he talks about having too much patience …and that’s how OG sees it.

• Harry Birmingham February 5, 2013 at 7:23 am #

I ,too, am glad to see the site is attracting more interest and hits. There is a growing citizen interests in some but not all areas of concern. Human nature and current times being what they are today apparently does make it hard for some to care enough to be as involved as they should be. You say your happy with the sites owner not being anonymous and keeps us all focused on timely topics. If ftthat being the case then why aren’t you using your name instead of being the anonymous “OG”? As for your comment of” having too much patience” that is in dispute and not only by me. People follow the site owner because he uses his name unlike you and that makes people respond to what he promotes on the site . He thinks alone in his promotion of the stories, thoughts, and things new and old that are ongoing in the city. I agree that you are just some other arm chair babbler that does at times says some thing that makes occasional sense but its a rarity when it happens. If you want to make sense and have people agree with you then openly make your self known with your name as I and the site owner ,Mr.Croce, have done.

5. the Outfront Guy* February 5, 2013 at 7:53 am #

OG says…thank you for admitting that I at least, occasionally, make some sense.

• Harry Birmingham February 5, 2013 at 10:56 am #

Your welcome OG! I appreciate your admission of the word occasional as I was trying to be kind in my comment to you. You don’t have to answer this but are you at work posting or at home ? Last I knew from what I’ve read from your posts you do work during the day time. If your not posting from work then you must start at or after 9 a.m. Sorry for the intrusion of your personal life as I’m just wondering.

6. Bob Croce February 5, 2013 at 11:03 am #

Am I already starting to feel some love between Harry and OG? Could that be a sign of the apocalypse? 🙂

• Harry Birmingham February 5, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

Well Bob I was trying to be nice to him. From his answer after your post he is just being difficult as he has always been. If what he said is true about living on the N.H. coast then he shouldn’t post here because he was never a real Peabody native. If he lives in Peabody then he has –some but only some — right to be posting here. Maybe he should post on his home town site if they have one where he could use his real name instead of that tired OG anonymous name he uses. All in all I’d have to say he has no guts when he uses the OG thing he goes by. Did you really think we were making an attempt to really be a part of some apocalypse? Now he says he is retired and that is far fetched to me. All I was suggesting was that he be careful not to be caught screwing the people he works for during work hours. I was trying to make him aware about his possible firing or other company penalties by using a read between the lines question. No one would want to lose their job in this economy would they , or, would he. Oh well !! I tried to be nice to him w/o being critical of him . So much for that I guess. My guess is that the saga between us will still have to continue on until you tell us to leave the site or that you bar the sites acceptance of one or both of us. I know your hard pressed to do that when we both entertain you and the sites readers. All in all, JMHO

7. the Outfront Guy* February 5, 2013 at 12:43 pm #

OG says…I am retired and living over on the NH seacoast

• Harry Birmingham February 5, 2013 at 7:31 pm #

I’m happy you said the coast and not here in Plaistow.

8. the Outfront Guy* February 5, 2013 at 9:38 pm #

OG says…say hello to Sean Fitz for me….the apple of your eye.

• Harry Birmingham February 6, 2013 at 7:03 am #

If I were to say hello to Sean Fitzgerald for you how would he know who you are by use of your phoney name? You certainly weren’t friends with him with most of your writings and responses in his running for office on your now defunct old site.

9. the Outfront Guy* February 6, 2013 at 8:13 am #

OG says…rest assured that Sean Fitz is very much aware of the legendary OG….

• Harry Birmingham February 6, 2013 at 12:11 pm #

Of course he is . After the things you wrote and responded to why wouldn’t he aware of your phoney name . You didn’t have the guts too use your real name then any more than you do now. What are you afraid of? Could it be past ” sins” from your old site and those you may have or could have offended with your “as I see it anonymity” ?

10. Harry Birmingham February 7, 2013 at 12:23 pm #

OG, Where is your answer to the above? Could it be I’m right or partially so?

11. the Outfront Guy* February 7, 2013 at 4:59 pm #

OG says…what you deem to be ‘sins’ and transgressions are simply comments and opinions offered in an anonymous blog format….you don’t hear crude, insensitive and vile remarks about anyone coming via one of my postings…and you never have on ANY blog site..it appears that your assertions about this issue indicate that you have started ‘shoveling it’ long before we see the first flake from Nemo!…and that’s how OG sees it.

• Harry Birmingham February 8, 2013 at 7:29 am #

As you say so often — I stand on my comments and that’s how I see it.I can’t be shoveling it when I use my true name . What does that say about you and how big is your shovel?

12. th Outfront Guy* February 8, 2013 at 1:48 pm #

OG says..get over the name thing will ya…for you all you know I could be a woman! and how do we know for sure that you are really HARRY BIRMINGHAM? are you someone who is famous here in Bright City ? is there a statue of you around town somewhere that I have not come across? maybe you just take it all a bit too seriously….now leave the shoveling for the young ‘uns up there and be safe will ya.

• Harry Birmingham February 8, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

Yes you could be a woman. One that whines and wants what they want until its unbearable like a spoiled brat of either sex. I’ll assume your a male ,please note I didn’t say a man. Men who have an opinion will give it as a named person instead of hiding behind anonymous . Again what are you afraid of if you have a suggestion or opinion to share? After all it is yours to share with those you address in life. No, there is no statue of me . I’m still alive and kicking. Statues are made of stone after a person has passed on if you didn’t know. I’m capable of doing my own snow shoveling and I can operate a snow blower as well. I feel safe while doing so as I take care of myself by stopping when I tire . Thank you for your concern for my well being. Be careful you do not over do it while you continue to –shovel– all that you do, weather or not.

• Harry Birmingham February 11, 2013 at 10:00 am #

I thought had you wanted to be an entertainer with me here for the readers and the sites owner. You haven’t read my reply or you just do not want to respond to my “shoveling …. weather or not. Have I finally got to you or is it just another one of those over sights due to your being so busy with other commentaries you constantly make?

• Harry Birmingham February 12, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

OG, Wowie!!! What no response from you? We could have been another Martin & Lewis, Rowan & Martin, or Gleason & Carney entertaining the readers here! I thought you’d make a great second banana . I can see you just won’t play second fiddle to my and your comedic antics here that isn’t really done to hurt any one accept ourselves ,if that,with our entertaining the readers and Mr. Croce with our usual come backs on one another.