Quick response in seeking to make St. Adelaide Church crosswalk safer

1 Feb

Lately, we’ve been seeing more action by our elected officials to ensure that they are indeed doing the peoples’ business when it comes to quality of life issues in Peabody’s neighborhoods.

A few weeks ago, Mayor Ted Bettencourt ordered a cease and desist order on a Route 1 developer who is destroying residents’ property near Winona Street, and yesterday – after hearing the concerns of City Councilors Anne Manning-Martin and Tom Gould – the Mayor ordered a cease and desist on a billboard monstrosity on Lowell Street near Route 1 that might violate the terms of a special permit.

Councilor Barry Sinewitz

Councilor Barry Sinewitz

Now, we add to this list some quick action on a safety issue in front of St. Adelaide’s Church.  After an elderly parishioner was tragically hit by a car in the crosswalk and died while leaving mass, parish leaders – including Ms. Colleen Derrivan – reached out to Ward 6 Councilor Barry Sinewitz.

Doing what a ward councilor is supposed to do and recognizing this as a safety issue for those residents he represents, Sinewitz immediately asked City Council Safety Committee Chair Mike Garabedian if he could convene a meeting at City Hall to talk about ways to make the crosswalk on Lowell Street in front of the West Peabody church safer.

The public meeting at City Hall will take place on Tuesday, Feb. 12 at 6:30 p.m., and while it’s unfortunate that it took such a tragedy to make everyone realize that something needed to be done about that crossing, it’s great to see immediate action by our elected officials yet again.

31 Responses to “Quick response in seeking to make St. Adelaide Church crosswalk safer”

1. Anonymous February 1, 2013 at 11:24 am #

Good response by Sinewitz. That crosswalk has been a dangerous situation for a while. It’s always good to see an elected official listen to people and then act on it.

2. Anonymous February 1, 2013 at 12:20 pm #

First off wasn’t it a senior citizen driving the car? That is a much bigger issue than a crosswalk. This is all smoke and mirrors and don’t forget people this is an election year. Of course they are all stepping up!!!!maybe we should have one year terms to keep their head in the game!

• Anonymous February 1, 2013 at 1:08 pm #

Why don’t you run big guy?

• Anonymous February 1, 2013 at 5:11 pm #

Why because I would rather see the ward six councilor leverage our state rep and have him push for more frequent testing of people over a certain age? Knowing it is in direct conflict with what the registry needs and that is a stream of money from these drivers that should not be out on the road? Does anyone know how many accidents have been there in the past 10 years and the reasoning behind any if those accidents? So let’s take a step back identify the real cause if this and any other actions and fix that problem….don’t lump this with the issues of downtown. Even though I think there was a accident with an older driver.

3. Anonymous February 1, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

I have to say that folks leaving that church are somewhat inclined to not even look before stepping into the crosswalk. Been that way forever.I mean yes, the pedestrian has right of way but have some common sense – not everyone is watching out for you! The Church should pay for a crossing guard or have personal tend to the task.

• Anonymous February 1, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

Really he should have used common sense, The pedestrian DOES have the right of way! The drive IS supposed to be looking at the road they are driving down! If you are driving down Lowell street by St A’s it is very easy to see the crosswalk and weather on not someone is in it! It is the speed that people are driving down Lowell that is the issue.

4. the Outfront Guy* February 1, 2013 at 1:10 pm #

OG says…I had not heard about this fatality and don’t have the details of the accident but this seems to be another ‘reactive’ step to things so my question is this> when do we instead take on things PROACTIVELY rather than in response to tragedy when it is then much too late?? when parishioners stream out of church up there it is necessary to look BOTH ways before stepping out into the crosswalk….and it is unwise to assume that each driver will yield to the pedestrian crossing…the elderly driving issue is a whole other can of worms…so maybe we need to look at the signage up there now (or absence thereof) and consider a traffic detail during mass times?

• Backdoor Man February 1, 2013 at 1:12 pm #

OG for WARD 6 Councilor!!!!!! Where can I get a bumpa sticka?

5. Harry Birmingham February 1, 2013 at 3:46 pm #

First off he has indicated in earlier posts he wouldn’t run for any office as he feels he hasn’t the patience.for [slow moving ] politics the way the game in the city is played. Second is that he isn’t a resident of the ward and will not consider running in his own ward.

• Vito Corleone February 1, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

Harry you know where this OG character lives? Le’ts go have a talk with him.

6. ralph smith February 1, 2013 at 4:28 pm #

Hey whats the hold up boys your 9 comments in and none of u has crapped on anne manning-martin!

• Anonymous February 2, 2013 at 8:54 pm #

Who is this Anne Manning Martin? Is she a dancer at the Golden Banana?

7. the Outfront Guy* February 1, 2013 at 4:34 pm #

OG says…welcome back to the fray Harry B…the more you listen the better I sound huh?

8. West Peabody Girl February 1, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

I live within a few hundred yards of the Church and my husband witnessed the aftermath of this terrible tragedy. The issue here is the speed with which people drive on Lowell Street. Yes, in this instance it was an elderly driver and that is another issue. However, since I have lived in this neighborhood, I have witnessed at least 4 other terrible accidents, one of which resulted in another death. I have seen cars rolled over on Lowell Street, have seen my neighbors concrete fence posts taken out by cars literally driving onto his front lawn, and have seen more than my fair share of near misses with cars simply trying to enter and exit Lowell Street from the side streets. People travel at speeds of 40 – 50 miles an hour on Lowell Street at all hours of the day and night. It is like a freeway. The police are never anywhere in sight. The same thing is true of Lake Street in W. Peabody. People drive way over the speed limit (even though there is an elementary school there), and they fly right through the 5 way stop sign at the intersection of Lake, Winona & Pine Streets. My family was nearly killed on Lake Street last New Year’s eve by a drunk driver who crossed into our lane heading up to Route One. Again, no police in sight. There needs to be more police presence on both Lake & Lowell Streets in this area of Peabody, not just in the downtown area.

• Anonymous February 2, 2013 at 7:41 am #

I see police everyday on Lake street during rush hour. They have four spots they typically sit by to catch speeders. I also see cruisers on upper lowell by route one a lot too. For a very quiet section of town we have a really good police presence. Also living on a very quiet street, I still see them patrol my street as well and actually is shocks me when I see them but they are just doing their job.

9. Steve Raymond February 1, 2013 at 11:22 pm #

Mr. Croce, I have to say that I find the tenor of your article distasteful if not disrespectful. I won’t even address some of the comments left by people who won’t even leave their names, they don’t warrant a reply. A man lost his life here. A family lost their father and grandfather. Mr. Buttner was a WWII veteran who served his country and now he is gone in a terrible accident. Yet your article shamefully backslaps every named politician (in bold print I might add) in an obvious political attempt to capitalize on this tragedy. Just state that in light of the recent tragedy there is a public safety meeting to address the city-wide issue of pedestrian safety. This has been an accident waiting to happen and as OG put it, they are once again reactive when they should be proactive. Here’s a thought, since the accident happened there, maybe have the meeting at St Adelaides. That way everyone can stand on the sidewalk and see firsthand how the cars race by at highway speeds. Maybe the impact of what happened will sink in.

• Anony February 2, 2013 at 8:48 am #

I have to agree with you Steve Raymond, I found it odd that Mr. Croce would even know that a meeting was set up unless Barry Sinewitz informed him offline. Barry probably gave him the photo to set up the shameless backslap that you aptly point out. Prayers for Mr. Butner and his family.

• Anonymous February 2, 2013 at 10:27 am #

Anony 8:48, this might be the dumbest comment in the history of blogs. Who cares where Bob got the info? It is good to see elected officials doing the right thing. You are being shamelessly political and bitter.You must be a supporter of some washed up former candidate for mayor who is mad because Mr. Bettencourt is doing a tremendous job right now! Your guy got destroyed against Teddy. Deal with it fool.

• Anony February 2, 2013 at 7:31 pm #

Anony 10:27. Shame on you. Seriously? A man died and somehow you think this is related to the mayoral race??? To live in the hearts to leave behind is not to die.

What is in your heart? Name calling? You should know there are a few choice names for people like you. Bully would be a kind name. This is not about politics. It is about public safety. It concerns a loss of life that you quickly dismiss. You are the shameless fool. Yours is the dumbest (and let me add, most thoughtless) comment in blog history. As you casually call Anony 8:48 a fool and say “deal with it[,]” I hope you never have to deal with such a loss. You, sir, are a jerk and a bully.

• ralph smith February 2, 2013 at 7:52 pm #

Actually anony didnt bring up the mayors race. The other guy did…

• Anonymous February 2, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

Wow. Looks like the Mannings are pretty upset now that they are totally irrellevant in Peabody politics. Losers like Fitzgerald. has beens who never was. Wait until Tom Walsh knocks Ann off the city council. She is barely hanging on anyhow finishing 5th each time. Mary Ellen is done already. That witch. We are really close to never having to deal with the Mannings agian. HaaaaaaHaaaaahaaaaaaa.Wonderful times for Peabody

10. Bob Croce February 1, 2013 at 11:37 pm #

Sorry , Steve, but I totally disagree with you and stand by what I wrote. The intent of my post was not to inform the community of this this horrible tragedy. The intent was to point out how, lately, our elected officials have been doing the right thing for the people they are supposed to serve. This is about good government, which people want and deserve. And while we chastise our elected officials when they don’t do the right thing, it is only fair that we praise them when they do the right thing. In this case, Councilor Sinewitz responded quickly to calls from those he serves, and should be applauded for that.

As for the other comments here, I don’t speak for them. I only lay out some ground rules for people to follow, and so far — whether either of us like the comments — none have violated those rules.

This blog is about commentary and analysis. I am not a media outlet of record, where we simply annoumce things and leave it at that. Of course we all feel very badly that this man was killed, but that is not the point of what I wrote here.

• Steve Raymond February 2, 2013 at 12:20 pm #

Fair enough Mr. Croce, this is after all, your blog so your rules apply. For the record, I have no ill will towards Councilor Sinewitz, everyone says he’s a good guy and I have no reason to dispute that. Same for the Mayor and other pols you name in the article but I’ll still withhold “applause” on this one until I see something more meaningful than phone calls being answered and meetings being scheduled. The Winona developer, the billboard monstrosity and this accident represent 3 issues that were allowed to get way out of hand and that can’t keep happening.

• Bob Croce February 2, 2013 at 12:49 pm #

Fair enough, Steve. I see your point. I just think that elected offici,als are in a tough spot sometimes. If they ignore taxpayers’ concerns people criticize them (and they should). But if they respond, and do the right thing, sometimes get accused of playing politics. That doesn’t seem fair to me.

In this case, Mr. Sinewitz got a call from concerned parishioners, so he acted. I like seeing elected officials do the right thing, so that’s why I wrote what I did. I feel horribly for what happened, and my sympathies go out to Mr. Buttner’s family.

By the way, as you might have seen from this blog, I also never hesitate to chastise elected officials when they don’t do the right thing.

Thanks for reading and posting.

• Anony February 2, 2013 at 7:07 pm #

Sinewitz didn’t even take the initiative here. He had to wait until the he was approached. Thats not leadership.

• Anonymous February 2, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

Wow Nuther bitter Manning suppoter. Face it. It is over for the sister sludge. All over. They are irrellevant.

11. Harry Birmingham February 2, 2013 at 6:36 am #

Vito, I dunna no wear dah guy liffes. He ah nose wear I dues. – Kidding aside I know I rattle his cage and will continue to until he accepts that things do not change unless the processes of the changes needed has/ have been finalized by looking into them fully. He continues to want everything yesterday, today and tomorrow with out due process to insure that the voters and tax payers aren’t getting ” taken for a ride or a swim with the fishes” expense. ___ OG, My statement to Vito says it all. Besides that all any one has to do is to go back and read your past postings to see what I’ve been saying all along are factual and at best to say the least — true.

12. the Outfront Guy* February 2, 2013 at 10:13 am #

OG says…let me make sure I have some facts straight on this fatality…did the tragedy occur on Sat evening or Sun when masses were getting out or was it during an off-Mass time?

13. Anonymous February 2, 2013 at 8:51 pm #

Sorry. Off topic but I would bet anything that your next councilors at large are Gould, Garabeedian, Liacos, Walsh and Frasco. I bet Gravel will not run even if he loses state rep race so it will be good bye and good riddance to Annie poo who is the worse Peabody city concilllor ever.

14. Bob Croce February 2, 2013 at 9:02 pm #

Just want to give notice to some of the commentators here. Some of you are coming very close to having me hit delete on some comments. Let’s please try to stick to the point of the post. Thanks.

15. Ron Vargas February 27, 2013 at 8:54 am #