28 Jan

Greg Bunn

Greg Bunn

Leah Cole

Leah Cole

For the first time in a very long time in Peabody, we have what seems like a competitively contested primary on the Republican side.

Political newcomers Greg Bunn and Leah Cole will face off in a primary on March 5, with the winner joining Democrat Beverley Griffin Dunne and independent candidate Dave Gravel on April 2nd’s final ballot in the  12th Essex House District State Rep special election.

You are eligible to vote in this Republican primary if you are either a registered Republican or listed as unenrolled (no party affiliation). You must also live in Peabody Wards 1-4 or Precincts 1 or 3 in Ward 5.

So, here’s today’s poll question, which should test the current enthusiasm among the die-hard supporters for Mr. Bunn and Ms. Cole. Please only take the poll if you live in the district and are registered as either Republican or unenrolled. I’ll put you on the honor system here!

11 Responses to “Poll: Which candidate gets your vote in Republican primary for Peabody State Rep”

1. Harry Birmingham January 28, 2013 at 10:43 am #

Sorry to see Demo not in the race. I would have liked to see the outcome knowing him from way back before he was an elected ward councilor. His running was for the community even if the mistake was made one way or the other. ________OG , If you can or would please go back to the eighteenth posting by me. I wouldn’t want you to miss it by any or any other two days or so as has happened before. Thank you ,Harry

2. Anonymous January 28, 2013 at 11:23 am #

Who is this Leah Cole woman? Nice to see new candidates but I do not know anyone who knows anything about her. Bob: are you going to post a candidate introduction from her soon? I thought the one on Mr. Bunn was very informative.

3. Bob Croce January 28, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

Anon, I’ve made an offer to Ms. Cole to submit her candidate statement. So far, she hasn’t taken me up on that offer, but I’ll run it if she submits one. Same offer for all of the candidates.

• Anonymous January 28, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

I’m not buying the number of votes Leah Cole is getting on this poll at all! No one knows a thing about her or has ever heard of her before this- I believe the votes are coming from democrats who are afraid of Greg Bunn possibly winning this thing based on being a credible and formidable candidate when most working people are holding their noses at Deval Patrick and the looming tax increases and tax deductions that will be taken away from us. Now is the time for some balance on Beacon Hill.

• Bob Croce January 28, 2013 at 4:02 pm #

What’s probably happening here, Anon, is that Ms. Cole is motivating her circle of friends and family to take the poll. Nothing wrong with that, and Mr. Bunn could do the same thing. I don’t believe it’s Democrats. She has a lot of Facebook followers, and younger friends who are probably good with social media.

4. the Outfront Guy* January 31, 2013 at 10:02 am #

OG says….is Ms Cole a Peabody native ?? is Greg Bunn a Peabody native ? if not then sayonara to both of them….we only vote for homeys here.

• Anon January 31, 2013 at 11:07 am #

Bob,

Are you a homey?

• Bob Croce January 31, 2013 at 12:00 pm #

In what sense? And why do you ask?

• Anonymous January 31, 2013 at 12:19 pm #

I’m not with the Bunn or the Cole campaign or any campaign for that matter but let me say this, what if a candiate in an election is from Peabody but is a complete dirtbag? Do we vote that for that person based upon being from Peabody? Let’s not make this election a popularity contest or a name game. We need to look at each canidate and what they stand for and which can better the city of Peabody for all of its residents!

• Bob Croce January 31, 2013 at 12:35 pm #

Anon, I would be the first to agree with you. The reality of the situation, though, is something else. Take it from someone who has personally been there.

It’s not specifically about “being from Peabody,” but it is mostly about name recognition. I feel that all four candidates here have good ideas, and are highly credible. But the fact is, and this is personal experience speaking, Mr. Gravel and Ms. Dunne have a huge advantage over the two Republicans right now when it comes to name recognition.

The other thing working against Mr. Bunn and Ms. Cole right now is time. I don’t know if 10 weeks is enough time to bring up your name recognition as a first-time candidate. Again, don’t take this the wrong way. I’m not being negative. I’m just going on what I’ve seen in past Peabody elections, and the fact that I don’t yet see something that might indicate the trend is changing.

Right now, it appears that Ms. Cole and Mr. Bunn are working just as hard as the other two candidates. But I don’t think they can beat either Gravel or Dunne by playing the same campaign game. To be successful in a short-cycle race like this, a newcomer would have to do something dramatically different that gets them to stand out, and catches peoples’ attention in a really exciting and positive way.

For example, look at how Scott Brown caught fire against Martha Coakley in the US Senate Special Election in 2010. Coakley helped for sure by being a less dynamic candidate, and not being a people person. But Brown was able to connect to people in a very personal way, and as a result, he caught lightning in a bottle.

I think both Bunn and Cole are running good campaigns and have brought some ideas to the front. I just haven’t seen any “lightning” yet that might change the current dynamic.

5. the Outfront Guy* February 1, 2013 at 7:51 am #

OG says…I would tend to agree with our fearless editor here….and any new candidate such as Cole or Bunn faces the reality that it is very difficult to create sparks or lightning in a local election WITHOUT some initial name recognition….how do you get name recognition??? well here my question to these new candidates …prior to running in this election what involvement or participation have you had in any local city affairs or issues to show me-as a registered prospective voter -that you deserve my vote?