Poll: Who do you think will win the special election for State Rep

26 Jan

With the looming special election for Peabody State Rep in the 12th Essex District, I’m posting an initial poll here now that the entire field is set.

Obviously only three of the following five candidates can make it to the final ballot, and there will be a Democratic and Republican primary on March 5, but for now I’m only asking who The Eye readership feels has the best chance of winning the final election on April 2.

Please keep in mind that I am asking who you think WILL win, and not who you will vote for. At later date, we will do additional polls on who you prefer.

15 Responses to “Poll: Who do you think will win the special election for State Rep”

1. Anon January 27, 2013 at 9:44 am #

Don’t you think it is a little early for a poll?
    We don’t know the final candidates, except for Gravel.

A better poll would be: Who is in the final Three.

My guess is: Dunne, Bunn, Gravel

Plus. Haven’t heard much or any candidate’s positions on critical issues.

How are they going to help FIX the state’s fiscal problems.

Drivel proposed more taxes. Of course.

Voting now is just a patronage measure.

Just some thoughts.

2. Anon January 27, 2013 at 10:09 am #

News Flash: Moutsoulos drops out!, Story on the Patch.

• Anonymous January 27, 2013 at 10:30 am #

Cole should too now. Save the taxpayers money with no primaries

• Anonymous January 27, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

I don’t think that’s going to happen. Leah is a very exciting candidate.

• Anonymous January 27, 2013 at 3:11 pm #

Leah can be “exciting candidate” all she wants. The problem is that she is really unknown and there is not enough time between now and the election for her to change her name recognition very much. I think it is great that she is in. We need more people and more young people to get involved like this but I am only telling you the reality of the situation. Only Dunne or Gravel can win. I would bet everything I own that this is the case.

• Anonymous January 27, 2013 at 10:46 am #

What a tool

3. Anonymous January 27, 2013 at 3:02 pm #

Look Leah Cole’s little pals are hitting the poll. People … Bob asked you to say who you think WILL win, not who your bestie biff is. I am betting that other than two or three most of those voting for Leah right now don’t even live in Peabody and can’t vote for her.

• Bob Croce January 27, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

Here’s the thing, though: You can say it is Leah’s friends hitting the poll, and you might be right. But that also shows there is enthusiasm around her campaign.

If most of those people voting in the poll are just her friends, that means something too. Friends, after all, can also hold signs, drop literature, make phone calls, and do Dear Friend cards. If I were any of the so-called better known candidates, I wouldn’t take anyone for granted. The turnout is sure to be low, so anything can happen.

Besides, this blog is averaging more than 500 visits, and 150 unique (new) visitors each day. And my guess is that people who visit a blog that writes about political issues, tend to be people who vote. If we continue to average 150 new visitors each day between now and the final election, that means more than 7,000 likely voters will have seen what’s written here. Considering the final election is likely to bring out less than 7,000 total voters, then well … you can do the math.

I’m not endorsing any candidate here on this blog. In fact, it’s not even my House district. But I feel everyone has a right to run, and new candidates such as Ms. Cole and Mr. Bunn should be applauded for getting involved in their community.

What I know from my own personal experience is that it’s very difficult putting your name on a ballot and running for office. People who are critical here should definitely try that sometime. It’s a humbling experience.

• Anonymous January 27, 2013 at 5:43 pm #

Good point. Also, as far as name recognition, turnout will be very low because this is a special election. That means that the zombie voters who only vote based on name recognition are much less likely to show up, it will be primarily informed voters who have done their research on the candidates. Really what it comes down to is who runs the best campaign, not who is the best-known at this point in time.

• Bob Croce January 27, 2013 at 6:04 pm #

Look at it this way: The 12th Essex has roughly 27,000 registered voters. If we get a turnout similar to the one we had for the State Senate special election last spring, you are only talking about less than 6,000 people coming out to vote in this State Rep special election. With a small turnout like this, It’s ALL about getting your vote out.

I also think now with Moutsoulos out and no primary on the Democratic side, the Republican primary will have a larger turnout than expected. Whichever candidate, Bunn or Cole, can get more unenrolled voters to the polls on March 5th will likely win.

4. Anonymous January 27, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

Lets go Leah Cole! We need fresh faces and New ideas! Cole for State Rep all the way.

5. the Outfront Guy* January 28, 2013 at 8:07 am #

OG says….WHY am I voting for any of these announced candidates? have we heard from them as to WHY I should vote for them? where can I read their views/positions on issues?

• Anonymous January 28, 2013 at 9:55 am #

Greg Bunn has a very informative website about himself. Seems like a candidate with a lot of qualifications, if you’d like to read about him. I looked for the same type of other info on the other candidates but found either none or very little. http://www.bunnforstaterep.com/

6. the Outfront Guy* January 28, 2013 at 8:33 pm #

OG says…ok I took a look at the Bunn website but will a website alone be the pathway to political success here in Bright City….do we really know why Gravel and Dunne want to be State Rep?? is Gravel just bored with the Council now and is simply looking for something else to do since Teflon Ted is a lock for many years to come in the corner office? is Dunne leaving her ardent role on our School Committee to bite off more than she can chew on Beacon Hill?? give me something to believe in candidates !! do we have a sense for what their values and ideals may do for us at the state level?? or are we going to vote for the NAME without a real feel for the substance?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Please tune in tonight for a live ‘You Make the Call’ show « Eye on Peabody - February 6, 2013

[…] 5, the $3.1 million funding request for the Peabody Institute Library, the special election for State Rep, and much […]