Tune in tonight to first ‘You Make The Call’ show of 2013

9 Jan

You Make The Call co-host Dick Jarvis returns tonight for our first live show of 2013

Happy returns

Join us tonight, 8-9 p.m.,  on  Channel 99  as we welcome legendary co-host Dick Jarvis for our first live “You Make The Call” show of 2013.

There’s a lot to talk about tonight, including the special election for State Rep.  Dick and I will also discuss our impressions of Monday night’s State of the City address by Mayor Bettencourt.

Please tune in, and give us a call! Or send us a question through our Facebook page.

29 Responses to “Tune in tonight to first ‘You Make The Call’ show of 2013”

1. Anonymous January 9, 2013 at 12:19 pm #

Is this going to be used as another platform for whomever Dick Jarvis is supporting for State Rep? According to Beverly Dunn – he is supporting her. Tell us upfront so we can tune out!

2. Bob Croce January 9, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

The show is an open forum. You’re definitely welcome to call in to speak in support of any candidate you would like. No one’s stopping you.

3. ralph smith January 9, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

Hey i remember when dick stole that show from ray stoey… been using it as a platform or His candidate of choice ever since. YMTC should be reported to ocpf.

4. Bob Croce January 9, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

Very funny, Ralph. But the co-hosts have a right to their opinions, don’t you think? I’ll say it again: ANYONE can call to state their opposing viewpoints any time they’d like. Since I haven’t heard you call in and say these things on YMTC, I’m guessing you just like to complain from behind a fake name. Agree or disagree all you want with Dick, but that’s his real name on the screen each week. Not that it matters, but Ray left the show, the show didn’t leave Ray. There was no theft involved.

• Anonymous January 9, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

The show may be an open forum in your opinion but on the other side of the screen it’s w whole lot different. I tuned out after the angry insults hurled from dick jarvis at anyone who didn’t support his state senate candidate john slattery. This will be a repeat of that nastiness because it’s even closer to him seeing it’s his wife’s seat and Ms. Dunn is making sure everyone who will listen knows tat dick jarvis is behind her. Who needs to listen to a not-so-open forum?

5. Bob Croce January 9, 2013 at 3:00 pm #

I’ve been on the show for a year now, and I’ve never heard Dick hurl any “angry insults” at anyone. He’s opinionated for sure, but isn’t that what the program is all about. I like to give my opinion too, but I always try to be fair as well, which I hope comes through the screen.

• Thomas Paine January 9, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

For the record, Bob, that last comment wasn’t me. Perhaps there is a disconnect between what you say on the show and what viewers perceive. Maybe that is why disclosure is important, which you have done on this blog. But the disclosures should also be stated at the onset of your show. Just a viewer suggestion.

• Bob Croce January 9, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

Disclose what? I’ve already told you that I’m not on anyone’s campaign committee. The last campaign I worked for in an official capacity was my own a little more than a year ago. That doesn’t mean I don’t support certain people or certain positions. But I also feel that I make that pretty clear during the course of the show. I don’t feel that Dick has any hidden agendas from what I can see, but he’s a big boy and should answer that one for himself.

With me right now, what you see if what you get. It’s the way I’ve chosen to conduct myself, and it’s one reason why my name is on this blog.

Is that’s risky to me as a potential future candidate? Perhaps. But I can tell you this: I feel good not having any hidden agendas. Ask me who I feel are the best candidates or elected officials, and I’ll tell you straight out. Ask me who my friends are, and I’ll tell you their names and then reveal that I am hugely loyal to those I consider my friends.

The one thing I’ve learned over time here is that it feels much better just to be honest. We have far too many politicians and elected officials who are more intent on playing both ends against the middle than they are at actually doing the work of the people.

Hey, I still have some flaws for sure, but I’ve vowed to myself to stop being a “smiling assassin.” With me, I promise, you’ll always see the shot coming.

As for others, like I said, they’re big boys and girls, they can speak for themselves.

• Anony January 10, 2013 at 4:37 pm #

So you ran for all those offices, school committee, ward councillor etc and you now admit that you were nothing but a hired gun, or “assassin”? You were presenting one image to the voters all the while you were getting ready to take out anyone who didn’t share your point of view. And now you are hoping to repent by admitting this?

• Bob Croce January 10, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

No, Kate. What I’m saying is that it’s time for a little straight forwardness and honesty in politics. It’s my opinion that some of our elected officials and candidates are afraid to take courageous stands because of what that stand might do to them politically. And yes, like a lot of candidates, I’ve sometimes found myself falling into that trap. I would say, though, that I fell into that trap far less than most candidates, and maybe my honestly hurt me. Ask your friend Mary Ellen. She knows what I mean, since she’s definiitely seen how being straight forward can hurt you in politics.

• Anony January 12, 2013 at 10:21 am #

Kate is my daughter’s name… you obviously got that name from the email address required to post, this concerns me… As you have now taken to outing people who comment on your comments, isn’t this is purpose of your blog? Poor show of character, Bob.

• Anonymous January 12, 2013 at 10:56 am #

Hey Bob. If this Thomas Paine here is the same person who called your show the other night, he is a she. I recognized her voice on the show. Her name is Kimberly and she worked last spring for Mary Ellen Manning campaign. They are not fooling anyone. They are mad and very bitter that Dick supported Slattery. More loser mentality by the Mannings who are done politically in Peabody and cannot face the reality

• Voice of reason January 13, 2013 at 9:16 am #

WHy the Mannings so angry and bitter all the time? They are terrible, bitter when they lose. I feel this is why they keeping losing because people want candidates who offer answers not negative crap all the time. Look at all the Manning supporters here. They are going after Dick Jarvis, who jist lost his wife. Why? Because Ann could not even come close to beating Joyce when she ran for state rep… because Slattery who Dick supported crushed Mary Ellen in Peabody and totally embarrassed her ending her political career. Hey girls, lighten up. Face your defeats like men.

• Anonymous January 9, 2013 at 4:02 pm #

Calling Senator Fred Berry a Liar and saying Shame on Ted Bettencourt was not insulting???? Because one chose to support a candidate over the Peabody one and the remained neutral which was a smart move for the city! Please don’t even come back with the sad lie about power and money staying in Peabody. If Joan Lovely doesn’t come through for Peabody she won’t be relected. I’m sure she is smart enough to know that. Dick Jarvis insulted even the voters on that show and it was wrong! And that is why myself and others have TUNED OUT! You’ll get the “regular callers from the AOH” but that’s about it.

• Bob Croce January 9, 2013 at 4:23 pm #

I’m sure Joan Lovely will work hard for the district, but why in the world would you as a Peabody person want to be represented by a rookie state legislator from Salem when there were two Peabody candidates in the race? By the way, most Peabody voters agree with me on this, since Slattery carried his home city. What ultimately killed John and Mary Ellen Manning was the fact that EVERY Salem elected official got on Joan’s bandwagon, while most Peabody’s pols didn’t unite behind either one of their hometown candidates.

Look at the margin of victory for Lovely in Salem. It was huge, and it was huge because Team Salem did the smart thing and got out the vote for their candidate. If that had happened in Peabody, one of our candidates might have prevailed. Peabody pols not supporting one of our two candidates also didn’t help the Slattery or Manning cause in Beverly and Danvers. It just looked bad.

And yes, I will say it, the power HAS shifted to Salem when it comes to that Senate seat.

• Anonymous January 10, 2013 at 6:04 am #

Slattery and especially manning lost because the were not like able or came across as trust worthy. I am in Peabody and voted for lovely because she came across as smart, approachable and I liked what she had to say. Manning came across as very angry an bitter based on her fb posts for the past couple of years and also when she was on Howie. Slattery just felt like someone I could not believe. Your argument is that you pick their qualifications over where they live vs. who they are is very pathetic. This is the same mentality in the city when it comes to just re-electing the same politicians no matter how bad they are. You guys talk out of both sides.

• Bob Croce January 10, 2013 at 9:51 am #

To: Anon 6:04 a.m.
        I don’t personally agree with you on Slattery and Manning, but I respect your opinion here. I think a lot of people felt the way you did, but my point still is that some of that perception could have been altered had more Peabody elected officials gotten behind one of the candidates. Call me a “homer,” if you want, but I felt it was important that the seat stayed with a Peabody person.

I appreciate all of the comments you make here. We hardly ever agree, it seems, but I can’t recall you ever crossing the line or getting as nasty as some of the recent anonymous “contributors.”

6. the Outfront Guy* January 9, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

OG says…Pete Torigian never would have let that happen…now is that an indirect shot at Teflon Ted for not fully supporting one of our Peabody candidates? well I guess it is but that’s how OG sees it.

• Anonymous January 9, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

Last comment on this issue – but where in the world did it ever come from that Ted Bettencourt supported Joan Lovely? He remained neutral which proved a smart move since he did’t alienate our new Senator, which makes it very easy for him to work with her. That still doesn’t give Dick Jarvis an excuse for his arrogant tongue lashing on that show after the primary and that IS the platform people are referring to. By the way, didn’t Mayor Mike Bonfanti come out in the 11th hour endorsing Sean Fitzgerald when he ran against Joyce Spiliotis? My wife tells me she remembers that move made an iceberg between Joyce and the mayor, hindering progress.

7. Thomas Paine January 9, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

Yeah. Called your show. You cut me off when you didn’t like my topic. You are propaganda and nothing more. You are used tissue. i blow my nose at you. Anonymous is right. Tune out. I wasted my time giving your show a last chance.

8. the Outfront Guy* January 9, 2013 at 9:39 pm #

OG says…thanks for the classy comments Mr Paine…we all respect you even more now.

9. Thomas Paine January 9, 2013 at 10:17 pm #

Comments were less than “classy”, but well deserved. Just disconnect your caller on your non-biased show and all is well in the world of public access television. You make the call???

• Bob Croce January 10, 2013 at 12:17 am #

First off, this is our time slot on PAT, our show, so we conduct the show with our rules. The production director at PAT tells me that anyone, including you, can get your own show where you can set your own rules too. Give him a call if interested.

The honest reason why we cut your call off at the end was that we had legitimate concerns that, with the way you were acting and slurring your words, you might have been under the influence. We didn’t want to have an incident on the air, and we’re afraid you might use inappropriate language, or even say something that might slander someone. We take very seriously our responsibilities when it comes to producing a show that abides by the rules of common decency.

Thanks for watching the show.

10. Anonymous January 10, 2013 at 10:48 am #

Well ,Can we all just hold hands and sing ” We are family “

11. Bob Croce January 10, 2013 at 11:05 am #

How about “kumbaya?”

12. the Outfront Guy* January 10, 2013 at 3:18 pm #

OG says…how about a shout-out to OG for having your back on this one?

13. Anonymous January 12, 2013 at 10:08 am #

You have proven the comments heard around the state and the north shore about Peabody (spineless, dinosaurs,fake,panderers) and from your comments here, Mr. Croce, you (and Dick Jarvis) seem to be part of the problem. Backing your friends for public office because you’re a loyal friend, or its best for YOUR career, is not backing the right candidate for residents of Peabody. You all do it! Sorry to say but YOU and your ilk are what’s wrong with Peabody politics! How long have you all been around? It’s 2013! Peabody politicians need to get into the 21st century. Right now you and they are as helpful to Peabody residents as the empty storefronts downtown. Unfortunately, the young mayor just goes along……..

• Bob Croce January 12, 2013 at 11:07 am #

Did you just accuse me of being loyal to my friends? If so … guilty as charged! Since when did loyalty become a bad human quality?

I totally left Peabody politics after running for school committee in 2001, and didn’t get involved again in ANY way until the election in 2009 when I backed a very good friend, who I have known since Little League, for a city council seat.

I never had any intentions of running again, but in 2011, just a weeek before nomination papers were due back, there were only five people entered in the councilor at-large race for five seats. So, I did what I felt a good citzens should do, I ran to give people a choice. I got in the race just 10 weeks before the election, and ended up pulling a very respectable 5,604 votes. No one put me up to it, no one told me what to do or which issues to support. It was essentially me and my wife selecting the strategy and then working our tails off with the rest of my family for 10 weeks. Yes, I did get support from a couple of politically connected friends, but I feel we ran in a truly independent fashion.

After the election, Chris Ryder became Mayor Bettencourt’s chief of staff and had to leave the “You Make The Call” show. Since talking politics is a passion of mine, and I had some past experience as a journalist, I asked Dick Jarvis if I could be considered as his next co-host.

So that’s my story. I’m not sure how that makes me some pandering insider. If I were such an “insider.” I wouldn’t be 0-3 right now when it comes to running for office. My problem in this regard might be that I haven’t pandered enough. 🙂

14. anonymous January 12, 2013 at 11:56 am #

Anon, who in your opinion are the elected official that are panderer’s. Also I don’t know where you get the idea that other communities view Peabody as (spinless, panderer’s and fake). I hope your not referring to Salem. After 302 votes to get an appoinment that city is an absolute embarressment.