Poll: Who would you support for Peabody State Rep seat?

12 Dec

Note to all those who would still like to vote in our poll. We’ll be announcing the latest results tonight on the “You Make The Call” show, 8-9 p.m.,  on PAT Channel 99.

I’ve had people ask me to do this poll so we can, at this stage, measure the electability of candidates and potential candidates for Peabody’s open State Rep seat. This poll is not scientific, but it has been set up so people can only vote once.  I’ve been asked by some influential Peabody politicos to conduct this poll, so it’s important that we get as many people to vote as possible. The results here could end up influencing, in a big way, who will end up supporting who.

If you live in Ward 6 or Ward 5, Prec. 2, I respectfully ask that you don’t vote here, so we don’t skew the results.

If you are a candidate or a potential candidate, spread the word with your supporters. I have left out both Tom Gould and Sean Fitzgerald, since both recently said that they would not run for the seat.

If your candidate is missing here, please list your choice in the comments section. Your vote is TOTALLY anonymous. Even I can’t tell who is voting.

35 Responses to “Poll: Who would you support for Peabody State Rep seat?”

1. Anonymous December 12, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

Just voted for Slattery because I don’t feel Dunne can win against Gravel or Manning. Sorry Beverly but you should stick to the school committee and I was a Joyce supporter. Lot of people I talk to feel same way. Beverly is a nice lady but we cannot see her as state rep.

2. Anonymous December 12, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

One on one Manning beats Slattery. Anne is more popular that you people give her credit for. Poll is showing it. I think she runs and wins this time.

3. Anonymous December 12, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

What amazes me right now is that Dunn and Gravel are the only declared candidates on this list and they are getting killed in this poll by two people who right now say they are not running. What does that tell ya?

4. Anonymous December 12, 2012 at 2:21 pm #

I have never personally met Beverley but as a mother of two children in the Peabody school system, I believe she has what it takes. I see her at numerous school events and other events throughout the city and is never recognized enough. Beverley, you are wonderful. The people of Peabody would be lucky to have you represent our city at the Statehouse! You’re ready, you can handle this, and I know you’ll serve our city the way you have for years. Goodluck, you have myself and my husbands vote!

• Anonymous December 12, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

If you’ve never met her, how can you possibly say all those things, unless you’re Beverley herself. Let’s have some credible posts on here folks! This one was a joke.

5. Anonymous December 12, 2012 at 2:23 pm #

Is Manning even running?

6. Bob Croce December 12, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

Anon, 2:23: Only Gravel and Dunne have publicly said they are running.

Manning told me she didn’t want to comment right now out of respect for Joyce’s family. But she seems to definitely be leaving it open as a possibility I haven’t really heard John Slattery himself say anywhere that he was definitely out, so I left him on the list too.

I put Dick’s name in there simply to see what would happen, since the other thing I’ve been hearing is that none of the declared candidates really have an edge right now. It was also batted around early after Joyce passed that he might be interested in at least looking at it as a possibility. Kosma Evangelidis said he is leaning toward running, so that’s why he’s in the poll.

I left Gould and Fitzgerald out of the poll because each has publicly announced they will definitely not run.

Hope this helps in explaining my reasons for offering up this particular list.

7. anon December 12, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

Bob, How come Bonfanti isn’t in the poll?

• Anonymous December 13, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

Bonfanti doesn’t live in the district. This has been addressed already

8. Anonymous December 12, 2012 at 4:42 pm #

I hear that Bonfanti might run for Ward 6 Councilor

9. the Outfront Guy* December 12, 2012 at 6:16 pm #

so nice to see some early support for Ann Manning…let’s take a step back and think about this…Ms Manning has already run twice for this seat and lost to Joyce…don’t we usually reward those who persevere and earn their stripes by finally electing them to a position they truly desire ? don’t we usually fall back on name recognition in lieu of issues and positions?

• As Eye See It December 12, 2012 at 7:04 pm #

Not this voter! Eye usually say to those career politicians that keep running for everything and anything – What do you really want to be when you grow up? Eye only think of Ann Manning as having run for this seat and lost twice. No way she should be rewarded because she is greedy and has always had her own self interests at heart. Eye should also note her diviseness while on the school committee as well as her sharp undertones and “scolding” of collegues on the City Council. Senator Berry stated her sister couldn’t get along with people, Eye think the same goes for Ann Manning.

• a voter December 13, 2012 at 9:37 am #

“Greedy…self-interested….divisive…” Strong accusations without any evidence. I guess I’m naive to expect better…..

• Bob Croce December 13, 2012 at 10:01 am #

Just to clarify, the opinions stated by “As Eye See It,” are not in any way the official opinions of the Eye On Peabody blog, or me. I think it’s cool that people are trying develop their own characters here, but if you are going to use any part of the blog’s name. I just want to make it clear that I’m the only one who speaks for Eye On Peabody.

“As Eye See It,” your comments are not in violation of any of our terms of use. It’s just that I see you posting more frequently (which is great), and don’t want people to think — because of your handle — that you are an “official” EOP commentator.

I now return you to our regularly scheduled program. 🙂

• Anonymous December 14, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

Gee, “Eye”, it seems as though you are describing Barry Sinowitz with his greedy $20,000 profit from the Bettencourt’s campaign race in fees payable to Thriftco Printing owned by Sinowitz. After this enormous profit, would he ever vote against the Mayor on anything? Anyone? Anyone? To be more specific, what is Sinowitz doing on the City Council with such an overwhelming speculative conflict of interest.

10. Anonymous December 12, 2012 at 6:53 pm #

The word is Mary Bellavance could be in the race

i

• Anonymous December 13, 2012 at 2:57 pm #

Doubtful she would but even if she wanted to she could not as she is not in district. Sounds like this poster is just trying to rattle the pots but does not even have facts correct!

11. the Outfront Guy* December 12, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

Mary Bellavance?? really??? hold on just a minute…is it possible and realistic for a candidate like that to be elected to a State Rep position here in dull old Dark City? wouldn’t that be way too adventurous for our half asleep voters???

12. Anonymous December 13, 2012 at 12:10 am #

Beverley has always been involved in the city, just as Joyce always was. She could truly continue the legacy of such a memorable state representative. Beverley always has the city’s interests at heart and she has always been keeping the citizens of Peabody in mind. There is no doubt in my mind that Beverley would be the ideal state representative. She has my vote.

• Anonymous December 14, 2012 at 10:02 am #

I knew Joyce Spiliotis and Beverley Dunne is NO Joyce Spiliotis – couldn’t even come close to continuing the legacy left behind by Rep. Spiliotis. She hasn’t even done such a hot job on the school committee.

13. Anonymous December 13, 2012 at 1:35 pm #

Bob have you reached out or heard from Joyce’s last opponent, Marty Scafidi, to see if he has any interest on the Republican side this time around?

• Bob Croce December 13, 2012 at 1:49 pm #

I haven’t. Does Marty still even live in the district? He lives near me, and I’m now in Ted Spelliotis’ district.

• Anonymous December 13, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

Just checked the updated city map and Leblanc Drive is Ward 5 Precinct 3 so I believe he would be eligible….interesting.

14. Bob Croce December 13, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

I must be right on the line, then, since I’m in 5-2 and within walking distance of Marty’s house. Do you think he’ll enter the fray?

• Anonymous December 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

I understand why he did not run this last election last based upon the previous results but based upon the way this race is shaping up and having seen him around at various other events and knowing he has hosted fundraisers for republicans this past election I cannot see why he would not…how about the “eye” reaching out and touching someone?

• Bob Croce December 13, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

If Marty wants to announce here that he’s running, he can contact me and I’ll write about it for him. Since I don’t do this blog for a living, I just don’t have time to reach out to every prospective candidate. I’m not sure I agree that Marty would make things interesting here. Based solely on a lack of name recognition and being a Republican, he’d face very long odds at beating any of the better known candidates. Nothing personal: I don’t even know him, but neither do a lot of other people around Peabody.

15. the Outfront Guy* December 13, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

OG says….I am pacing around the house waiting to hear what Ms Manning is going to do…this is nerve wracking…as for Beverly Dunne wouldn’t she make an even better City Council candidate?? forget about Scafidi…he ran then disappeared….you need to keep your hat in the ring and on the radar screen…

16. Anonymous December 14, 2012 at 8:22 am #

I do not want to see Manning win this seat for Peabody. She is awful. I have watched many city council meetings and she does not have the right personality to represent Peabody. Being a bull in a china shop only gets you so far and that is not the individual I would want to represent our city. We need someone that has a lot of respect but also does not waiver and can get the job done. Someone that can build meaningful relationships in the state to help make sure Peabody is full represented and respected.

17. Paper Boy December 14, 2012 at 9:43 am #

By the way Nelson Benton’s column in the Snooze today says that Gould is likely out and Dunne and Gravel are probably going to run. And in other news, the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor 71 years ago. The Snooze tomorrow will have full coverage of the Lincoln assassination for those of you who missed that news too.

18. Anonymous December 14, 2012 at 11:12 am #

Sue Brotchie should run. She is a true “independent” unlike Anne Manning.

19. Harry Birmingham December 17, 2012 at 6:26 am #

I’d like to point out that if it weren’t for Susan Brotchie and ACES I would never been able to have gotten my ex wife to pay for child support when one of my kids came to live with me. Prior to that time I worked hard to insure my four childrens support payments were made on time and often times ahead to be sure they got it. The child support money was sent to the court for payment and yet I was being called a dead beat by her . I showed my kids the copies of my payments and they were up to date and some were paid ahead. I got tired of this and the accusation and joined Aces. When the shoe was on her other foot my ex felt she didn’t have to pay child support because she was a woman and as such she had no obligation to do so. She found out differently . If it weren’t for ACES and what it did country wide for children to get child support we’d still be having an over flow of men and woman in jails for non support. There was a movie made about ACES and its founder and what she went through to get the state she lived in to receive child support.You sir/madam failed to see the other side of the coin and I take it as offensive to the issue and to its local founder , Susan Brotchie. If I can write this with my own name then you should as you have revealed some thing you shouldn’t have. Remember this, all children are born of innocence and that includes we adults.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. State Rep race fallout, a firefighter museum … and more random thoughts « Eye on Peabody - December 11, 2012

[…] Poll: Who would you support for Peabody State Rep seat? […]

2. Gould says he’s definitely not running for State Rep « Eye on Peabody - December 11, 2012

[…] Take our poll on your choice in the State Rep special election […]

3. Salem News keeps chasing on state rep special election story « Eye on Peabody - December 11, 2012

[…] Take our poll on your choice in the State Rep special election […]