Changes to our commenting policy

6 Mar

Dear readers,

In an effort to keep this forum constructive, I’ve decided that going forward all comments will be moderated and approved. I promise I’ll get to approving them soon as I can, but please be patient if you are commenting during the work day or late in the evening.

I have also, in an effort to keep things more credible here, deleted some of the comments I felt were over the line. We put this forum here as a place to inform and discuss the issues of the day related to Peabody. I am not going to allow it to become a slamfest.

Thanks for reading.

Bob Croce

About these ads

9 Responses to “Changes to our commenting policy”

1. Dan Kulak March 6, 2013 at 6:51 pm #

Good for you. Your reviewing comments will make the site much more creditable. You may want to consider a policy of requiring a contributor to identify themselves by name.

• Anon March 6, 2013 at 7:18 pm #

Forget the identity thing. You saw what it did to the Salem Snooze. Retribution is well known in Peabody.

2. Anonymous March 7, 2013 at 7:36 am #

Mr. Croce, While I can understand your reason[s] for the “changes in commenting policy ” needs it does have its perils. You’ll be accused of being like some communist country that restricts the news, good or bad, in publishing. You’ll be accused of manipulating what is published to ensure your thinking and desires in every thing you or some crony wants that is published on the site. I agree with Dan Kulak in a policy of proper identification of any contributor to the site. Hell, if I can write here with my name why shouldn’t everyone else? After all ,its ones own opinion or thought being expressed is it not. Some who do hide their names are great in what they write in their opinions/answers but why is it they are afraid to use their name is beyond me. And that is JMHO.

• Bob Croce March 7, 2013 at 10:57 am #

Harry and Dan,
      I would love to have a real name policy here, but unfortunately it’s impossible for me to confirm anyone’s name. People could still use fake names, and since I don’t have the time nor the technical capabilities to check, I have no way to confirm.

As an aside, I’ve also received some comments this morning, which are bringing up how this is a First Amendment issue and how I have no right to block someone’s “free speech.” What I want those posters to realize is that this is my blog, so I can make the rules.

And the rules are that I want this to focus on respectful dialogue around Peabody issues. Lately there have been some commentators who have posted inapropriate comments, and these commentators aren’t even connected to Peabody. Time to get this blog back on track. I didn’t put it here for people with no Peabody connections to use as a way to further their own political agendas.

As always, thanks for your contributions here.

• Anonymous March 7, 2013 at 11:41 am #

I am Harry Birmingham so no one can ask who is this Harry. I didn’t think of the real name thing as not being a true name issue as you do. Sorry for that but then too if some person wants to have their opinion or answer to any thing published here they shouldn’t hide any thing or their true name. They should keep their mouths and fingers to themselves unless they want to say some thing pro or con to any thing on the site and have guts enough to stand by what they say here . One might say that I shouldn’t have any say with Peaboby and the site being a resident in N.H. I was a resident for 58 years and a police officer for some 25 years and take pride in my former city and job. Yes !!, I can say where the skelitons are in the city with its residents and politics but I’m able to keep them quite as best I can in the better and best interests of them. The one thing I hate is a hipocrite and I’m not afraid to expose one so do be aware that when I see one I’ll say so so as to exose them. I would suggest any one writing here ,especially on a hot topic that they think before writing or saying some thing they would be sorry for. I’m sorry for my stance in this hipocrite matter but I worked and lived with and for many of them in Peabody.

3. Bob Croce March 7, 2013 at 11:55 am #

Harry. I always appreciate how honest and up front you are. And never worry about not currently living in Peabody. You’re a Peabody guy, and I know that. The people I was talking about clearly have no connection to Peabody, and were only commenting to support their cause, which has nothing to do with our local issues. I didn’t want them to keep “using” us.

• Anonymous March 7, 2013 at 12:20 pm #

Sorry I took it wrong and misunderstood what you were getting at. I will stand by what I did say in my earlier response about those who are hypocrites in my view[s] . Thank you for your first line compliment .

4. the Outfront Guy* March 7, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

OG says…right on Harry B….and rest assured that OG always thinks before he types!

5. Joseph March 7, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

Good call, Bob. I was starting to no enjoy coming here, but I agree that there were non Peabody people starting all of that trouble.