Bunn announces he is on ballot for State Rep special election

25 Jan

(If you are running for any office in Peabody in 2013,  please send us your statement, and we will post it here as written by you. Greg Bunn will face off in a Republican primary for state rep on March 5th against Leah Cole, with the winner going on to the final election ballot on April 2.)

From the Greg Bunn Campaign

Republican Greg Bunn

Republican Greg Bunn

Greg Bunn today officially announced his intention to run for State Representative in the upcoming special election for the 12thEssex district. Greg and a team of volunteers collected over 500 signatures, more than tripling the state requirement to appear on the ballot. The 12th Essex represents Peabody Wards 1-4, and Ward 5 Precincts 1 and 3.

A Peabody resident, Bunn has worked in public service for over 15 years. Currently,  he is the manager of the North Shore Career Centers of Lynn,  Salem and Gloucester.  Bunn also heads up the Business Services Unit for the centers,  providing staffing and financial solutions for employers.  In 2012, his offices helped more than 5,000 job seekers find employment and provided assistance to over 550 North Shore companies.

“I am running to foster a more competitive environment for businesses both large and small to get the nearly 1,700 Peabody residents currently out of work back on their feet,”  Bunn says.  “By providing individuals the opportunity to work, we strengthen families and create healthier, safer communities.”

With his skill in workforce development, Bunn’s primary focus will be bringing businesses to Peabody and increasing job opportunities for its residents. He aims to collaborate with public officials and promote legislation designed to support those dealing with long-term unemployment in their efforts to find work.

Bunn also wants to make sure that the Commonwealth is spending its revenue as efficiently as possible before increasing the burden on taxpayers and focusing on putting the people of Massachussetts back to work.

“It is essential that our state’s leaders direct taxpayer dollars in the most effective and efficient ways before taking more hard earned money from Peabody’s working families.”

Bunn said, above all, he is committed to being independent.

“Peabody is great because of our refusal to conform to any formula. We are independent – and that is how I will represent our city.”

Greg encourages Peabody residents to contact him through his website and Facebook page, or through Twitter  @bunnforstaterep.

19 Responses to “Bunn announces he is on ballot for State Rep special election”

1. anonymous January 25, 2013 at 4:35 pm #

I like what Mr. Bunn has to say. I look forward to hearing more from him.

2. Anonymous January 25, 2013 at 4:51 pm #

Like Greg Bunn. Met him at the mayor’s fundraiser last week. Smart guy. Only too bad that he only has 10 weeks to get some name recognition. I think if he had four or five months to work his campaign, he could be a dangerous opponent for the so-called front runners.

3. the Outfront Guy* January 25, 2013 at 7:43 pm #

OG says…now OG looks at this guy’s background and focus points and says “hey why not?”….why do we always want more of the same old lifelong candidates and names representing us? what is wrong with ‘new blood’? a fresh perspective ?? maybe Bunn is the one but will Bright City voters wake up and smell the coffee? or will they simply revert back to focus on name recognition over real issue stances? I think we all know the answer to that question and this really irks OG….wake up Bright City….get some new blood in there to represent us !!

4. Joe Palooka January 25, 2013 at 7:57 pm #

We’ll simply focus on name recognition. Any more questions?

5. Dan January 25, 2013 at 8:58 pm #

Gregory Bunn is what this city needs. He truly impressed me in only minutes while he was collecting signatures. He is not a business man, not an attorney, not already tangled in the web that we know as Peabody politics. This is a man that has dedicated himself to public service, helping improve the quality of life and our local community. With such little time, hopefully he can reach enough people. Finally, an election that brings out a candidate who can make a change. Would love to hear more from Gregory.

6. Sue Brotchie January 26, 2013 at 10:57 am #

Greg Bunn is exactly what the taxpayers and citizens of Peabody need right now. We have all seen a rather large amount of hard earned wages taken away from our paychecks due to Obama’s tax increases on working people…now we have to deal with MORE being taken from us if Deval Patrick’s punishment for the working people via MORE tax increases goes through…… We need Gregg Bunn to even things out a bit up on Beacon Hill and stand up for the working people and say NO to more tax increases. What happened to only taxing the wealthy???? After researching Greg Bunn and his qualifications and haveing conversation with him, I found him to be honest, no BS, and a very credible candidate. I have already decided on Greg Bunn. If you don’t know anything about Greg Bunn – take a moment to read about him on his website. He’s the real deal. We don’t have to vote for the lesser of 2 evils anymore – we have an alternative this race.

• Anonymous January 26, 2013 at 11:14 am #

I hear people talking about Greg all over town right now. There could be a Scott Brown thing going on here. People are just tired of the same old thing. No offense to Mrs. Dunne and Mr. Gravel but we have had enough to them. I too will support Greg and I am a Democrat.

• Sue Brotchie January 26, 2013 at 11:55 am #

You are absolutely right! The other candidates running in my opinion, are running for self serving reasons, having used the school commitee as their stepping stones. Greg Bunn is not a winged nut candidate – like a Bill Hudak. He’s very well worth the consideration. As an independent, I vote the person – no matter what party they are affiliated with. The key is making sure you get to the polls and vote for him if you choose him as the one who will stand up and reject Governor Patrick’s proposed financial attack on the working people! And besides – he already works for the state so it’s not like we’re adding another paycheck to the already overbloated state payroll.

7. Anonymous January 26, 2013 at 12:22 pm #

Someone told me Sue Brotchie was a Joyce supporter. WHy is she going against Dick JArvis who supports Beverly Dunn? Traitor?

• Sue Brotchie January 26, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

I was very close friends with Joyce for many, many years. That is no surprise or secret. I miss my friend terribly. We not only shared private, lively political conversations and debates, we had a close personal friendship outside of politics as well. We even ran against each other in 1996 for Register of Probate and Family Court and it had no effect on our friendship what so ever. Did you know that tidbit? Joyce and I had a huge disagreement on my support for Joan Lovely for State Senator. But I vote for WHO I believe is the better candidate – not for who someone tells me to vote for or who my other friends are supporting. I am not going against Dick – Dick can support and vote for whomever he wants – Dick is not the candidate here. I am no puppet as anyone who knows me will attest to. So how is being an informed voter a “traitor”? Dick knows me well enough to know I am my own person. I did my own research on Greg Bunn and liked what I learned about him. Plain and simple…I am voting for Greg Bunn and hope others vote for the candiate of their choice because they believe that candidate will best serve the citizens of Peabody and not themselves.

• Anonymous January 26, 2013 at 1:01 pm #

If Joyce was alive she would support Dunne. Joyce thought very highly of her so why don’t you? I do not get you at all and I do not get Bob posting this Bunn thing when Dick is his friend to.

• Sue Brotchie January 26, 2013 at 1:03 pm #

PS: Had Dick decided to run for Joyce’s seat – he would have been the candidate who received my support.

8. Bob Croce January 26, 2013 at 1:06 pm #

Just for everyone’s information, this blog has NOT endorsed any candidates in this state rep special election. We run candidate statements for ANYONE who would like to submit one.
    Thanks

• Anonymous January 26, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

Sue you should support Beverley she is the best candidate for Peabody.

• Sue Brotchie January 26, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

Very Funny! I detect the humor and appreciate it.

9. Sue Brotchie January 26, 2013 at 1:15 pm #

Did you not read my response to your first comment of 12:22pm? Get informed. Become your own person – this is not a personality contest. You don’t have “get me”. You should put on your big boy or girl panties and realize this not a social event. This is an election where we elect an individual to represent us at the State House and the rest of the citizens of MA when it’s budget time. It has a deep impact on our pocketbooks. Bob Croce is giving any candidate who wants to introduce themselves on his blog an opportunity to do so. Being friends with Dick has nothing to do with this. Why don’t you post your real name instead of hiding behind the “Anonymous” label or are you afraid of showing us your shallow self?

10. the Outfront Guy* January 26, 2013 at 2:25 pm #

OG says…good for you Sue Brotchie …you are a breath of fresh air on this chilly day! I like your style and passion for supporting who you feel is the best candidate….as I stated above Bright City has a dull political history of reverting to name recognition candidates in elections……so Mr Bunn has his work cut out for him…..this should be interesting to watch

11. Myron Perkins January 26, 2013 at 5:03 pm #

You won’t find a harder working, committed guy than Greg Bunn. He has an excellent track record of accomplishments in “State government” …Are you kidding …. He actually got things done AND helped a lot of people. He’s the man for he job.

• Anon January 27, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

I’m sorry but isn’t he just another state employee?
      Anyone with an excellent record of accomplishments in this STATE government is suspect. Consider the BIG DIG’s performance for excellence. Ask Senator John Kerry.
      Collecting a state paycheck with state benefits: Now that is excellent!
      Looking for more of the same, I suspect.

The “olde unemployment office” with a new cover, Well, I guess that is one less unemployed citizen (at our expense).
      Looking for a job? It is who you know in this state.

Sorry for being a cynic but I’ve seen this all before.

Best of luck to the candidates. Let the voters decide.