Bob Croce running to become: ‘Your’ Ward 5 Councilor

24 Jan

By Bob Croce, Candidate for Ward 5 Councilor

CroceA political mentor always tells me not to leave out the most-important detail when it comes to running for office. I hear him saying, “before you do anything else, let people know why you are running.”

It’s the thing that the people you seek to serve will ask, and you better be prepared to give them an answer.  So, on this Arctic-like January morning, I come to you with an answer to that very first question.

I am running for Ward 5 Councilor this fall in Peabody’s city election because I believe that I can be a strong advocate in supporting my neighbors on issues that affect our quality of life.

My message during the long campaign ahead will be clear: If elected, no issue will be too small for my attention when a taxpayer calls me.

That is what being a ward councilor is all about.

People reach out to you, and you help them. You become their watchdog on the City Council, taking their side when developers don’t follow the rules of their special permits. You ensure that the rights of citizens are protected.

You answer their call in the early morning hours when their street isn’t plowed. You ensure that their streets are properly maintained, and that you respond immediately when they have any concerns about public safety in their neighborhood. You do things for people, and you come to the job realizing that being a ward councilor truly means being a public servant.

It’s something that retiring Ward 5 Councilor Dave Gamache learned over his 24 years in this seat. And it’s something on which I will center my entire campaign.

To the people of Ward 5, I want to be Your Ward Councilor.

There will be a lot more on my campaign as the ground thaws, spring makes its debut, and I burn shoe leather going door-to-door under the hot summer sun.

But for now, I hope you will consider helping me in my pursuit to become a good public servant.

If you would like to find out how you can help with my campaign, please visit my campaign website.

Also,  please  “like” my campaign Facebook page.

I also welcome your questions here in the comments section.

Sincerely,

Bob Croce, Candidate for Ward 5 Councilor

About these ads

38 Responses to “Bob Croce running to become: ‘Your’ Ward 5 Councilor”

1. Anonymous January 24, 2013 at 11:02 am #

Good luck Bob! You’ll make a great ward councilor. You have it right when you say it is all about sticking up for the people you serve!!!!!!

2. Anonymous January 24, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

Nice. Very nice!!!!

3. Anonymous January 24, 2013 at 1:05 pm #

Geez Bob you could not even wait one more day and give Mr Gamache his day in the sun after 24 years and let HIM announce HIS RETIREMENT tonight? Bush league. Also I have been enjoying this blog but I am hoping that this does not become the Bob Croce pedestal. I heard you even told someone that you would NOT make this the Bob Croce
    blog but looks like that promise is down the drain. Hope after today you stick to using this blog about Peabody issues and not just your bully pulpet. And yes I understand Ward 5 is Peabody but you get the drift. Ask people to send you questions about your candidacy on your political pages NOT HERE, unless of course you do want it to become another Bob Croce vehicle. Just saying Bob. Oh and one last thing be careful how many I’s you use on your TV show. If I am not mistaken the other potential candidate in this race is also on your SAME EXACT economic committee. Fair is fair, right? Nothing like self promoton but really Bob !?!

• Croce supporter January 24, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

Joel,
      Instead of hiding behind anonymous comments, why not just announce too that you are in the race? It’s OK. You and Bob will each work hard and in the end the best man will win, and that will be that.

But this sort of sniping makes you look petty and immature. Commonsense tells us that it is you or your wife who made the above comment, since you mentioned this “economic committee” that you are on with Bob. I mean, who else among those who care about the Ward 5 race would even know that you and Bob are on that same committee together? Who the hell even knows that Peabody has this committee? The comment had to come from you.

Dude, announce and start working for the seat. Bob hasn’t said a single negative thing about you. Yes. I’ll tell you right out that I support him, but that I also — until now — thought you were a good guy.

This is silly, stupid, and has nothing to do with who will be a better Ward 5 Councilor. Face it, you’re just angry right now that Bob has a little bit of a jump on you here. But dude, we have 10 months to go. Smarten up. Or, should I say grow up?

4. Anonymous January 24, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

P.S. I know if was on the patch today but they are a news organization, you just could not wait Bob could you.

• Bob Croce January 24, 2013 at 1:39 pm #

Anon,
      I’ve known for 3 weeks that Dave wasn’t running for re-election. I didn’t wait for the Patch to tell me. I called Dave to ask him (yes, out of courtesy), and then made my decision.

Why would I wait or even think there would be an announcement on the floor of the council tonight? I got it straight from the Ward 5 Councilor himself. I declared my candidacy yesterday on my Facebook page. That Patch story ran this morning. You obviously wrote what you wrote for political reasons, which is fine. You can write whatever you’d like here, just as long as it doesn’t get abusive or obscene.

Thanks for reading.

• Anonymous January 24, 2013 at 1:42 pm #

Patch was a month late here. Everyone already knew Dave was not running again

• Anonymous January 24, 2013 at 5:03 pm #

Joel. Maybe you can start your own blog. You can call it “Waiting for the Major Announcement.”

5. Anonymous January 24, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

It’s called class Bob. lets just leave it at that.

• Anonymous January 24, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

You are ridiculous. What if Mr. Gamache decided to wait until July not to run? Should all potential candidates wait until the last minute to take out papers? No offense to Dave G but this is NOT Dave Gs seat. It is the peoples seat. I think he did a good job for the most part but he is not the king of Ward 5. Bob has every right to run whenever he wants . So to does anyone else. I also knew Dave was not running like three weeks ago. I do not get the comments here.

6. Anonymous January 24, 2013 at 2:15 pm #

Bob running = best news I have heard all week. He wins easy in my humble opinion.

7. Politics as usual. January 24, 2013 at 2:33 pm #

This is not news. Mr. Croce made the right move here. If fact I saw that he was in the race earlier this week way before the Patch wrote about this so-called official announcement by Gamache. Bob clearly has the jump on everyone else right now and his waiting for some glorified up announcement by Dave is silly.

The negative comments here are clearly politically motivated and likely from some other potential candidate. I have been around the dirty world of Peabody politics for quite sometime so I know what is going on here. There is one fact, though, that makes this meaningless and it is that I have not heard about one competitive candidate so far who has a chance to beat Bob who has very strong name recognition right now. Much ado about nothing.

Bob did it right here. He made calls. Told the right people he was running and then he announced. What is written in the Patch should have no affect on anything. As for the lack of respect thing, come on people. Dave Gamache is just leaving office for a city job. He is not dying. Congrats to him for his service but no one has to wait for his blessing.

8. Anonymous January 24, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

Just love Peabody politics. Some of these comments are so freaking dumb I feel stupid reading them. I heard Gamache wasn’t running way back during Teddy’s swearing in ceremony. There was no insult by Mr. Croce here and even if he did not know until today, who gives a flying F? I think Bob was smart and he has the jump on the field right now. He even got some good play in the Patch. Looks like the frontrunner to me. That is the story. No voters care about the silly notion that he was somehow classless. Give me a freaking break. If that is how his opponents will play this then I think it is Croce in a runaway here.

9. Anonymous January 24, 2013 at 3:17 pm #

This is great news. Love the website too. Are there any other candidates yet? I have not heard any names mentioned at all.

10. Bozo the Clown January 24, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

Maybe Joel can get his own TV show too and call it You Make The Call On When I Will Announce that I am Running!

11. Anonymous January 24, 2013 at 5:17 pm #

You have the right stuff Mr. Croce. Good luck!

12. JasonGWB January 24, 2013 at 6:32 pm #

I don’t live in Ward 5 but wanted to say good luck. I hope you will still have time to keep this blog updated as I always enjoy reading it.

• Bob Croce January 24, 2013 at 10:09 pm #

Thanks, Jason. I’m going to really try to keep up with posting here. I definitely enjoy doing it.

13. the Outfront Guy* January 24, 2013 at 7:24 pm #

OG says…my oh my…we have some stuff to chew on here…first of all, help OG out here…who is this mysterious alleged cowardly candidate “Joel’ who is referenced in a couple of posts here? and to our fearless editor I encourage you to be cautious and careful now that you are an officially announced candidate for elected office who is running a blog in a very un-anonymous capacity. You may be a pioneer in this kind of endeavour. There may be landmines, mud slinging and booby traps on the path ahead. Finally, with regard to Mr Croce’s mission statement > I think he sums it all up nicely and succintly for the voters of Ward 5 who will be getting new representation after the Gamache Era ends. OG says hats off to Gamache–whether he is your favorite or not–for putting in MANY years of service to the Bright City residents of that ward……

14. Anonymous January 24, 2013 at 9:01 pm #

What did Gamache go through that gave him this epiphany to look ahead? Any ideas what the 8 hrs meant?

15. Anonymous January 24, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

I love how all the council believes they will be back after the elections… I think they should all be really challenged in election

16. Peabody politics January 24, 2013 at 10:32 pm #

Who the hell is potato salad?

17. Anonymous January 24, 2013 at 10:59 pm #

Don’t you mean Coleslaw?

18. Bob Croce January 25, 2013 at 9:25 am #

Stepping in here to ask that we please keep it constructive. We’re very close to the point where I will need to delete comments, so please try and keep it civil.
    Thanks.

19. Anonymous January 26, 2013 at 12:27 pm #

Someone told me this Joel guys last name is Saselaw. Who is he? I have been around a while and live in Rolling HIlls and have no clue who he is. Is he only one Bob will face? Not much of a competitive race. Judging by what this Saslaw character wrote above it looks like he will also run a very negative campaign.

20. Anonymous January 26, 2013 at 1:41 pm #

Bob, why are you letting anonymous people post things about private citizens? They are assuming they know who posted something here and then you let them disparage this person and their family!! Especially when it involves your election? In an earlier post you disagreed with an anon blogger so you outed them as Kathy.. Which they presumed you retrieved from their e-mail..These are B.S moves Bob, you should not let the assasin come out in you..

• Anonymous January 26, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

Joel. If you are going to keep posting put on your big boy pants

21. Bob Croce January 26, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

Please show me where there’s a personal attack on a “private citizen” and I will remove it. It might be that I’m just not seeing what you’re seeing. Thanks.

22. Anonymous January 26, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

Is “Joel” a private citizen? Even if he isn’t, do any of these anon’s have the right to assume he posted negative comments about you? Would it be fair to accuse you of being the anon who is posting negatives of “Joel”. I thought I saw his wife mentioned earlier along with potatoe salad, coleslaw, etc…Face it Bob, you really shouldn’t be the moderator of any blog that has to do with your own election. It is a major conflict of interest

• Bob Croce January 26, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

There is no “conflict of interest” at all here. This blog is owned by me. With that, it is up to me to decide what gets posted here. And with that, I am allowing people to post their own candidate statements. This offer is open even to any of my eventual opponents for the Ward 5 seat

I allow all fair comments here, and make the judgment call to delete when necessary. Like I’ve already said, I don’t see anything yet that crosses the line. If the Joel mentioned here is Joel Saslaw, who I had heard was running for Ward 5 too, then he is no longer a “private citizen” … just like I am no longer a “private citizen.”

But please tell him he is also welcome to send me a candidate statement to post for the thousands of readers who visit the blog on a weekly basis.

If you would like to start your own blog, I can show you how. Thanks for visiting.

• Anonymous January 26, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

Bob and I disagree a lot but don’t hate that he has done a great job positioning himself. He has already run, he has this blog where he stars his opinion, Facebook, campaign website and a tv show. Joel is going to have a very tough fight ahead of him. I have not heard great things about him.

• Bob Croce January 26, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

Thanks, Anon 3:23. I don’t know your identity, but I do believe that you are a frequent contributor here. And I can concur that you and I do indeed disagree a lot!

23. Anonymous January 26, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

Who’s “hating” anon? Just stating a fact that it is very odd for a candidate for office to have a blog where he moderates what is okay and not okay to be said about himself and any other potential opponents. Did you notice that he didn’t respond to why he outed someone who said something negative about him? I mean think about it, this is supposed to be a site where you can post anonymously, yet if the owner doesn’t like what you are saying he will leak your first name that he obtained from your private e-mail so that the other anon’s will rip you apart and get the focus off of what you said about him.

• Anonymous January 26, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

I think all he has is IP addresses. She may have posted in the past with her screen name. This is his site and he does not state he will keep your privacy just not release your email address. I do think him launching this blog was to fill a void but also an opportunity to show his opinion on city issues knowing he may run for his ward. Very strategic.

• Bob Croce January 26, 2013 at 6:36 pm #

I never reveal anyone’s identity, and if anyone is worried about it, they can also leave the email space blank. It’s not required. It’s also very difficult to identfy people’s names through their IP addresses, and trust me when I tell you that I just don’t have the time or interest in doing that kind of indepth research.

I did not launch this blog with the specific intent of running for Ward 5 Councilor, but I did realize when I launched that it could help me with name recognition, should I run for office again someday.

But honestly, Anon., the main reasons I launched Eye on Peabody were because I enjoy writing and I totally enjoy the sport of politics. If I’m not the winner this fall for this Ward 5 seat, this blog will not just go away. I get a kick out of doing it, and I’m flattered when I look at my analytics and see how we’ve had more than 25,000 visits since launch back in November.

24. Anonymous January 26, 2013 at 4:00 pm #

Joel you really should go out and campaign instead of picking on Bob on his own blog, You commenting anonymously here will not get you elected. Just some friendly advice.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Moutsoulos drops out of State Rep race « Eye on Peabody - January 27, 2013

[...] 5, and will be listed with Dave Gravel on the final ballot on April 2.  Local businessman and Ward 5 resident Greg Bunn and Leah Cole, a nurse from South Peabody, will still face off in the Republican [...]

2. A message from the publisher | Eye on Peabody - March 22, 2013

[...] has been a busy month for me with work travel, and the process of beginning my campaign for Ward 5 City Councilor, so I apologize for not posting very often [...]