Mayor asks governor if he can appoint an interim State Rep

18 Jan

It may be an unwinnable situation and a little too late, but it’s good to see that Peabody Mayor Ted Bettencourt is petitioning Governor Deval Patrick for the right to appoint an interim replacement for deceased State Representative Joyce Spilliotis.

The Mayor wants to ensure that, until a new rep is seated following the April 2nd special election, Peabody has its fair share of representation on Beacon Hill. The problem is that there is no precedent or law giving a mayor such powers to appoint, and it might end up taking an executive order from Patrick to allow this.

Bettencourt appointing an interim rep presents another potential sticky situation: Although Mayor of Peabody, he doesn’t even live in the open seat’s 12th Essex House District. A Ward 6 resident, Bettencourt is represented on Beacon Hill by Ted Spelliotis.

The Mayor says he would only appoint as the interim someone who is not running in the special election. So far, Democrats Beverley Dunne and James Moutsoulas, unenrolled candidate David Gravel, and Republicans Greg Bunn and Leah Cole have pulled nomination papers to run for the right to complete the final 19 months of Spilliotis’ term. The deadline for returning their petitions with at least 150 qualified signatures is Tuesday, Jan. 22. The 12thEssex seat represents Peabody Wards 1-4, and precincts 1 and 3 in Ward 5.

Let me know what you think in the comments section, and be sure to take our poll.

22 Responses to “Mayor asks governor if he can appoint an interim State Rep”

1. Amy Giammarco-Moquin January 18, 2013 at 10:43 am #

I do not like the idea of Peabody being short a voice when such critical issues will be decided upon. We are a community that would heavily affected by these proposed tax changes.

2. Bob Croce January 18, 2013 at 10:51 am #

I agree with you, Amy. We need to have a voice, especially with what’s going on right now with the budget process and taxes.

By the way, here’s the transcript of the letter Mayor Bettencourt sent to the governor:

January 15, 2013

His Excellency Deval Patrick
    Governor of the Commonwealth
    Massachusetts State House – Room 280
    Boston, MA 02133

Dear Governor Patrick:

​As you know, our city lost a true representative of the people last month with the passing of Joyce Spiliotis. Her commitment to public service and love of the City of Peabody were an inspiration to all those who knew her.

​To fill the vacancy created by Rep. Spiliotis’s passing, the Legislature has called a special election to take place on April 2nd. Although I respect the special election process, I am greatly concerned about a lack of representation for Peabody during the interim. Particularly during the early portion of the legislative session when your budget proposal is released and district budget priorities articulated, I feel the City of Peabody will be at significant disadvantage.

​I would like the opportunity to appoint an interim 12th Essex District representative to advocate on Peabody’s behalf until the winner of the special election is sworn into office. This individual would be someone with familiarity with the state budget process as well as constituent service. As has been custom with other interim appointments, this individual would pledge not to seek election to the seat during the special election.

​On behalf of the residents of Peabody, specifically those living within the 12th Essex District, please consider authorizing me to appoint an interim state representative. Thank you.

Warmest regards,

Edward A. Bettencourt, Jr.
    Mayor, City of Peabody

3. Anonymous January 18, 2013 at 10:52 am #

More power for you buddy Teddy. Ya, that is a great idea. I vote NO!

4. Bazooka Joe January 18, 2013 at 10:59 am #

Anon, other than your obvious dislike for the Mayor, why do you think this is a bad idea? Are you saying it is a better idea to have us not represented?

5. Anonymous January 18, 2013 at 2:49 pm #

Joe: THIS IS A POWER GRAB by your boy. This person will vote the way Teddy boy wants him to vote. What don’t you GET?

6. Anon January 18, 2013 at 4:10 pm #

Bob.
    Did someone’s unemployment run out?
    The Mayor’s request is for someone to fill-in until a replacement is elected (April 2nd).
    Save the state some money. Wait.

There are probably 100+ state reps voting on the budget.
    Face it. Peabody will not be the swing vote in this democratic- controlled government on any important vote!
    Anyone the Mayor “appoints” will be clueless.

Save the taxpayers some money: Forget it!

7. Bob Croce January 18, 2013 at 4:58 pm #

You’re only saving like $15K on a $35 billion state budget. That’s gum money. Fill the seat. Peabody is being short-changed on its representation. It’s only too bad the Mayor didn’t make the request a month ago.

8. the Outfront Guy* January 18, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

OG says…hey how do you get your picture on here? you all need to see how dashing OG really is!

9. the Outfront Guy* January 18, 2013 at 7:03 pm #

OG says…the Teflon Ted love fest just rages on and on…every day we find something else to love him about….I hope this all doesn’t go to his head. where was all this love when Mayor Mike and the Emperor were running the show ?

10. Peabody politics January 18, 2013 at 11:05 pm #

Bonfanti was nothing but a hiccup for the city of Peabody. Personally, I can not think of anything that he did that made the city a better place to live. I am just telling it like it is, he wasn’t a like able guy, pride in Peabody virtually vanished under his leadership, flooding did not get fixed, and school grades dropped city-wide during his tenure, as did the school supplies and buildings, all while taxes rose cosistently every year during his rule. Thank god we don’t have any buildings named after him so we can forget the negligence.

• Anon January 19, 2013 at 9:37 am #

Not that I am a Bonfanti supporter, but during his administration TWO brand new schools (expanded) were built, The Carroll and the Brown. A new Voke school approved. This while from what I understand the Peabody school enrollment is down about 500 students.

For some people we never spend enough for our students.

Now Peabody is looking to “import” students both domestic and foreign to fill our classrooms.

Better to lay off excess teachers, administrators and close a school or two.

Bonfanti never recovered from turning down the spend-aholics demand for a NEW High School.

Now, we have a new generation of spending- A new Middle school and the New Voke.

A generation which has never been without. A generation that will get what it wants. We will pay for their wants.

There was no negligence. Just differences: Maturity vs Adolescence

11. anonymous January 19, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

Anon please, Bonfanti took a well run ship from Torigian and raised taxes 10 years in a row. With his so called management skills, he couldn’t balance the budget once in 10 years? He was a big spender. He tied the city into that boondogle vocational school that will put a huge burden on the taxpayer. By the way Dave Gravel supported the vocational school while Beverly Dunn opposed it. Gravels another big spender. Stop rewriting history because Bettencourt is doing a good job.

12. the Outfront Guy* January 19, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

OG says…so the assumption here is that Teflon Ted will not be raising taxes anytime soon?

13. the Outfront Guy* January 19, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

OG says…and by the way, when is opening day at that new voke school? will that be occuring before my social security eligibility date ?

14. anonymous January 23, 2013 at 7:59 am #

Not sure when the new voke will open. Make sure you have a doctor with you when you open your tax bill incase incase you have a stroke.

15. the Outfront Guy* January 23, 2013 at 6:29 pm #

OG says….just checking in to see if any of our local issues/projects reach conclusions while I am still alive…OG is not very patient with all of this…thanks!

16. anonymous January 24, 2013 at 8:32 am #

Are we waiting until the elections over or will we get an answer on the interim appointment?

17. the Outfront Guy* January 24, 2013 at 9:09 pm #

OG says….take a reality check …..local politics is like watching a turtle cross the road….

• Harry Birmingham January 25, 2013 at 6:02 pm #

I can’t help but ask why you would want to watch a ,or, even the “turtle cross the road” politics knowing your wanting your many things for the “Bright City” yesterday or today ? I broke my promise and I just couldn’t resist your contrary comment. Forgive Me!!

18. the Outfront Guy* January 27, 2013 at 8:08 am #

OG says…ah, so you do miss me Harry B ? I am stating my OPINION. Doesn’t mean that I don’t care….why do you struggle so much with my sour opinion of things? OG knows that many people have tuned out politics because they share my sour opinion yet here I am going on and on like the Energizer Bunny….let me tell you why it bothers you so much…because deep down you AGREE with me but yet you somehow rationalize it as ‘well, that’s the way things have always been” or ‘if you don’t like what you see then get out there and change it-run for office”…and that’s how OG sees how you see it !

• Harry Birmingham January 27, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

No I don’t miss you. I just think you’re a rather big hypocrite. Like I said before many times you want things yesterday and today on your own terms. I do realize that you are a sour person and I had asked that you get to be some what sweeter by dropping your “Dark City” crap. That you finally did do,thankfully. I’m sure many of the readers would agree with me that it was the better thing for you to have done for the cities image and for the candidates running for office. It is obvious that I do not agree with you nor do I that ” that’s the way things have always been”. Gee !! It only took you two days to respond to my comment when you have made comments a few times since then. You must really have had to think of what you would have had to say by writing your rebuttal . Bye the way ,you didn’t say if you accept my apology asking for your forgiveness for having broken my earlier promise .

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Governor says no to interim State Rep for Peabody « Eye on Peabody - February 5, 2013

[...] to update an earlier story here, Governor Deval Patrick has rejected Peabody Mayor Ted Bettencourt’s request to temporarily fill [...]