Mayor Bettencourt announces plans to seek re-election

16 Jan

(The following statement came from Mayor Ted Bettencourt, who this week announced that he will seek re-election in November. If others would like us to post a candidate statement, either for the state rep special election or the fall city election, please send it to us here, and we will run it in the Eye unedited.)

By Edward A. Bettencourt, Mayor of Peabody

Peabody Mayor Ted Bettencourt

Peabody Mayor Ted Bettencourt

When I first ran for Mayor I had a long list of things I felt needed to be done in order for Peabody to reach its potential. While I believe we have accomplished a great deal so far during my first term, much work lies ahead.  I respectfully ask the voters for another term to keep our momentum going.

Overseeing the construction of a new Higgins Middle School will be chief among my second term priorities.  Last spring, we  sought and received community support – including unanimous votes from both the City Council and School Committee – to build a new school rather than renovate the current facility.  Then in July, the Massachusetts School Building Authority’s Board of Directors voted unanimously to accept our  new school preference.

A new Higgins is vital to Peabody’s future because our middle school program represents such a critical phase of academic preparation. I am committed to seeing the project through the design phase this year and then working to build a school which will best serve the educational needs of generations of Peabody students.

The ongoing Main Street revitalization project was also an important  first term accomplishment,  but that represents only the beginning of downtown transformation, and that the next phase will be a key focus of my second term.  The project,  slated to be completed this spring,  is funded by a combination of state and local grant money.  It aims to ease Main Street traffic,  improve parking and pedestrian safety, and transform the entire corridor into a more attractive place for residents and businesses alike.

We will have made Main Street a more desirable location but the next step is to decide what we want our downtown to be. We cannot just try and copy our neighbors because Peabody is unique.  We need our own vision, our own character and our own way forward.

To that end,  I’ve called for the creation of a new Master Plan for the city with a keen focus on downtown Peabody.  Peabody’s last Master Plan was completed more than a decade ago, and no longer reflects the realities of today’s landscape.  In crafting a new blueprint for Peabody’s future,  we plan to cast a wide net and tap into the expertise available those from private industry, academia, state and local government, and everyday Peabody citizens.

We need to engage in careful planning and take a deliberative approach to executing a sound strategy. There is a lot at stake in terms of Peabody’s future and I am committed to doing the hard work necessary to get it right.

About these ads

11 Responses to “Mayor Bettencourt announces plans to seek re-election”

1. the Outfront Guy* January 16, 2013 at 6:56 pm #

OG says…when is re-election day? Teflon Ted will only have about 10 more terms after this one……

2. Peabody politics January 17, 2013 at 10:26 am #

He will be there as long as he wants, nobody can beat him.

3. the Outfront Guy* January 20, 2013 at 10:43 am #

OG says…how was the lovefest down at the Holy Ghost hall on Saturday night? is the King Teflon Ted bandwagon in full gear for re-election?

4. Bob Croce January 20, 2013 at 11:07 am #

Why so negative, OG? By the way, was that you I saw scoffing down the free meatballs and chicken fingers after getting comped at the door? :)

• Anon January 20, 2013 at 4:20 pm #

Bob, I guess YOU were there!

Were YOU comped?

Not being negative, just asking.

I wasn’t there.

5. Bob Croce January 20, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

Nope, Russ. Always pay my way. I go to almost all of the fundraisers. I’m a politics junkie!

6. Anonymous January 20, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

Bob, word on the street is that you are running for Ward 5 Councilor. Hope it is true.

7. Bob Croce January 21, 2013 at 9:40 am #

Thanks, Anon. That “word on the street” likely comes from the fact that I have been telling some people I am considering running for Ward 5 Councilor in the fall. I’m close to having an official decision. Just need to discuss a couple more things with my family, and ensure that they would be comfortable with me doing this. Stay tuned! It’s still very early for declaring for the city election, and a lot of the focus right now is on the state rep special election.

8. Anonymous January 21, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

Good luck, Mr. Croce. We’ll back you too. You do a great job on the show and with the blog. Need some new blood in there!!!!!

9. the Outfront Guy* January 21, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

OG says…fear not Batman..OG is sworn to fun but loyal to none (except for you!) so if they are handing out free meatballs then roll a few my way !….now as far as your pal Teflon Tad please understand that OG has never been an ardent TT fan from his days back on the Council….and it just seems that no matter what he does in office now as the Mayor he seems to face no criticism or detractors….it seems like this honeymoon will have no end ! and I do find that a bit odd here in Bright City….so OG will continue to ask questions that need to asked…

10. NancyPalmer December 11, 2013 at 8:20 pm #

Why don’t you enforce the laws or are you on the take? You should be thrown out of office your a disgrace.