Mayor moves quickly to defend quality of life for residents in Peabody’s Ward 5

10 Jan

We talk all of the time in this blog about Peabody becoming more “business friendly,” and while we still need to approach it that way in an effort to find the money we need for infrastructure and schools, there’s one credo we still need to embrace:

Quality of life for our residents should always trump our goal to be “business friendly.”

We want more business in Peabody.  It’ll mean more tax revenue,  and allow us to eventually put less of the burden on residential payers.  But we also want businesses that will hold up their end and respect the needs and the rights of the residents.

So why am I on this soap box today?

Well, it appears that Mayor Ted Bettencourt is embracing the credo. Without hesitation yesterday,  and after hearing numerous complaints from neighbors in an around Winona Street, the Mayor placed an immediate cease and desist order on Marchese Properties on a project  it is developing on Route 1 South.

Why? Well, if you’ve been by there lately, especially during a big rain storm, you’ve observed rivers of mud flowing from the project, and into the backyards of neighbors, destroying pools and other property, and making life miserable for people who take pride in their properties and pay their taxes on time.

But don’t just take my word for it.  Watch this video from one of that neighborhood’s residents to see what grief this has caused homeowners. Watch this video, and then put yourself in the shoes of this homeowner.

There are a lot of reasons for the problem, but as a resident myself of Ward 5, I can tell you that the previous administration didn’t do enough to alleviate the problems here for theses affected neighbors.

Developer Richard Marchese has agreed to stop the work for now, which includes a commercial building and a small housing development. He’ll come before the Planning Board on Feb. 7 to determine if he is in violation of his permit.

Bettencourt ordered the cease and desist during an emergency meeting of the Planning Board. After meeting with residents, and having the building inspector go to the area to confirm what he was seeing in photos and videos, the mayor shut it down.

This mayor definitely gets it. The rights of the residents needs to always come first.

About these ads

8 Responses to “Mayor moves quickly to defend quality of life for residents in Peabody’s Ward 5”

1. anonymous January 10, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

This was a Bonfanti deal. He let this developer clear cut the entire
    property without regards to the neighbors. After he removed soil and trees, we all got flooded out and the city did nothing to stop it. Bonfanti should be held responsible for not standing up for the people in the area. Thank god Bettencourt is in. At least he took control of the situation to help the neighborhood.

• Anonymous January 10, 2013 at 9:27 pm #

It addition, the vegetation that grew in that area served as a sound buffer for much of Ward 5. The Route 1 “buzz” in West Peabody became noticeably louder when that area was clear cut.

• Bob Croce January 10, 2013 at 9:59 pm #

I live almost a mile from Route 1, and I have noticed this too, so you’re right about the increased noise, Anon. In the summer at night, with the windows open, it’s definitely louder.

2. the Outfront Guy* January 10, 2013 at 3:16 pm #

OG says…this was originally going to be a Brunswick sport center of some sort….with residential area out behind if my memory serves me correctly…and then the money dropped from the project and it has been the lunar surface ever since…so what is the CURRENT development plan over there anyways now? can’t say that i have ever heard it spelled out……

3. Peabody politics January 10, 2013 at 7:50 pm #

Run Bob, Run.

4. joseph January 20, 2013 at 11:32 pm #

The Mayor is full Off crap never met with any Neighbors. The videos did it you can not out run the camera. why doesn’t the mayor let Manual betterment the building inspector HMMM no relations is there. Tell you about the stock piling of dirt that I informed the mayor and the city solicitor you know bettencourts law partner Back in October Against Peabody codes. No fines not made to remove the dirt. 50 foot wall of dirt behind my parents house. There were no wet land on that property If so Where is all that water coming from had to go somewhere when it rained. My parents were Dry till Machese did this. I don’t think I would have been so upset had the mayor just called me or my aging parents. This might have got resolved and might not have come to all this. So ask yourself why not talk to my parents. HHHHHHMMMMMMM

• Bob Croce January 21, 2013 at 7:37 am #

Joseph,
      I had to remove your second comment. If you want to post it again, you can, just as long as you take out the the personal stuff related to family members. It’s OK to give your opinion about elected officials and public figures, but members of the Mayor’s family — or any elected officials’ family — are off limits when it comes to my rules for posting.

If you can take out that part I’m talking about, feel free to post it again. Your first comment is OK.

Thanks

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Peabody Planning Board keeps destructive Ward 5 project shutdown « Eye on Peabody - February 10, 2013

[...] Board remained on the side of the people living on the Winona Street side of Route 1 by backing a cease-and-desist order against a developer whose project is causing property damage and grief in this Ward 5 [...]