Mayor’s address was on point, effective, and … brief

8 Jan

ted

Peabody Mayor Ted Bettencourt makes his mid-year state of the city address last night while newly elected City Council President Tom Gould looks on.

It was straight forward, on point, effective, and most of all … brief.

A few minutes before the annual city inaugural ceremony began last night in the Wiggin Auditorium at Peabody City Hall, I whispered to Mayor Ted Bettencourt, in good-natured fashion, “Please, no two-hour speeches tonight.”

His response? “Don’t worry, I’ll get everyone out of here in time for kickoff,” said the Mayor while smiling, and referring to the other big event of the night, the college football national championship game between Alabama and Notre Dame.

And, yes, we did indeed make it in time for kickoff over at the AOH.

In this case, “brevity” was perfect.  During his “state of the city” address,  Mayor Ted talked about his mid-term accomplishments, which included reaching a compromise with the city’s unions on healthcare to save taxpayers millions, approval of plans and financing on a much-needed new middle school, and the steps he’s taken toward business development in an effort to get more revenue by expanding the commercial tax base. He left us with positive messages like this, and then brought his address to a close in less than 20 minutes:

“I expect the upcoming years in Peabody to be a time of evolution, a time of revitalization, a time of challenge and a time to better position Peabody for long-term prosperity,” Bettencourt said.

Mission accomplished …  for now. More to come in the Mayor Ted Bettencourt story.

There are more details from what the Mayor said in a nice wrap up by John Castelluccio in the Peabody Patch.

Other observations around the Wiggin last night

Councilor At-Large Tom Gould’s middle name is Lloyd? Who knew? Maybe not many until his fellow councilor’s voiced their vote for “Thomas Lloyd Gould” when it came time to select the new Peabody City Council President. As is customary, Gould, became the unanimous pick for president, and then also gave an effective, yet brief address … Councilor At-Large Mike Garabedian drew seat No. 1, meaning, as some wise guy quipped, he’ll be under the gun and really have to pay attention! …

There was a whole lot of politicking going on, which became a clear indicator that the race is on to fill Peabody’s vacant stat rep seat.  Announced candidates Beverley Dunne (school committee member) and Dave Gravel (Councilor At-Large) were there as part of their duties as elected officials, but clearly each was doing whatever they needed to “work the room” of mainly Peabody insiders, many of whom could be influential this spring. Announced state rep candidate and former Ward 3 Councilor Jim Moutsoulas was also there schmoozing. … Other elected officials there last night included newly elected Governor’s Councilor Eileen Duff, and newly elected State Senator Joan Lovely.

Outstanding job last night by the Peabody High chorale and concert band.  The very talented kids in the chorus sang a stirring rendition of the National Anthem … Hats off to the Mayor last night for acknowledging the contributions of former State Rep Joyce Spilliotis-Jarvis, who passed away late last year. Bettencourt also recognized her husband, and my friend, Dick Jarvis, who watched the ceremony from the balcony.

About these ads

40 Responses to “Mayor’s address was on point, effective, and … brief”

1. Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 11:33 am #

Bob,
    If I’m not mistaken, the city council president,Tom Gould, gets the final vote, #11.

Russ

• Bob Croce January 8, 2013 at 12:02 pm #

I stand corrected. Good catch, Russ. I guess I meant the final vote on the floor. But you are correct.

2. Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 11:51 am #

Was disappointed he didn’t address the drug problem/crime within the city that seems to be increasing two-fold. Acknowledge the rest of the speech was very good and short.

3. anonymous January 8, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

I saw John Slattery talking with a lot of people including Dick Jarvis last night. As you know John is contemplating getting into the race for State Representative.

4. Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

No doubt about it that Slattery wins the Dem primary if he gets in. Not sure his talking to Dick Jarvis means much at this point. Beverley told me Dick was supporting her.

• Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

I heard she was also running around telling people Joyce wanted her to run for the seat. Thought no one knew of Joyce’s illness? That’s a pretty pathetic campaign line. Anyone can jump in up until Jan. 22….why all the criticism for Slattery not jumping in yet? He mus have good reasons on waiting if he is planning on it. I also think Slattery wins the primary no matter who Dick Jarvis supports.

• anonymous January 8, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

I heard from several people that Beverly was walking around the reception after Joyce’s funeral saying that she was “Joyce’s Choice”. I agree it is pretty sad to walk around a funeral reception campaigning for the seat vacation by the deceased. As far as saying Joyce wanted her to run for her seat, any one who knew Joyce, knew that her only choice was Joyce!!

5. Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

Well if Slattery is such a hot candidate why doesnt he get in already? Sick of him and Manning sitting on the fence. I am not really all that excited about voting for Gravel or Dunn, but at least they had the guts to get in. John how about a little less talk and a little more action?

6. Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

If Dick J isn’t with Slattery here and is with Bev why was he sitting with you Bob and John in the balcony last night? Hmmm. Looked like those two were planning out a campaign while Ted was speaking.

• Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

Let’s hope so!

7. Thomas Paine January 8, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

Dick and Bob used “You Make the Call” as a platform for Slattery during the Senate race. Anonymous appears to be spot on. It adds a more subtle interpretation to the blogger’s statement, “There was a whole lot of politicking going on, which became a clear indicator that the race is on to fill Peabody’s vacant stat rep seat.”

• Bob Croce January 8, 2013 at 4:15 pm #

Thomas, I would totally dispute that I was using “You Make The Call” as a platform for John’s Senate campaign. But I will confess to saying, on more than one occasion, that I felt it was wrong for Peabody elected officials to NOT support one of the Peabody candidates, either John Slattery or Mary Ellen Manning. Check out the tape On Demand. Never once did I “pump John’s tires” over anyone else.

By the way, it was no slight toward Joan Lovely on my part. I just felt that by allowing her to win, all of the power would naturally head in Salem’s direction. And it will.

I also didn’t work for any of the candidates in the Senate race. I’ll tell you that I did vote for John. But that was my only show of support. As for Dick, it was no secret that he helped John with his campaign. But I also felt that Dick did an admirable job of not turning “YMTC” into a Slattery campaign program.

8. Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 5:24 pm #

Why all of this anger toward Beverley. She seems like a nice person to me.

• Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 7:04 pm #

Not nice at all. Very phoney in my humble opinion

• anonymous January 8, 2013 at 8:39 pm #

I can tell you I feel anyone who would over and over again tell people that she was “Joyce’s Choice”, especially at a reception after Joyce’s funeral, has issues. Instead of respecting Joyce and her family and the hundreds of people mourning her, Beverly tries to make a time of contemplation all about her.

• Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

This is what happens when you are politically ambitious. You do not care who you disrespect. Bevy has been going around Peabody with crockadile tears for Joyce.

• Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 9:42 pm #

The recent meeting records with the previous superintendent demonstrated she won’t make the hard vote. She had an opportunity to remove him and she voted “present”. I liked her until I read that in Salem News. You are voted to make decisions not protect your political career.

9. the Outfront Guy* January 8, 2013 at 5:50 pm #

OG says…and here we come back to what makes OG the true voice of reason around here in Bright City ..OG is not out there ‘politicking’ and ‘schmoozing’ ! clearly our fearless editor runs with the ‘in crowd’ and that is fine with me but I just want to remind our readers that if you want to hear truly OBJECTIVE comments and opinions the you can’t go wrong with this Bright City contributor..enjoyed the nice writeup and recap…but remember that OG is sworn to fun and loyal to none!

10. Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

Readers, I would only ask who this person is who says they are the voice of reason before having or giving thought to his so called voice of reason. This person says they have no loyalty to no one except to himself apparently ,not even to those he voted for in Peabody’s election. How contrary is that of him to vote with out backing with loyalty his own voting choices?

11. the Outfront Guy* January 8, 2013 at 7:54 pm #

OG says…Harry B…please post using your name please!

12. Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 9:06 pm #

We Bev supporters say to Mr. Slattery bring it on. We are hear. We are ready to make you a 4 time loser.

• As Eye See It January 8, 2013 at 10:06 pm #

You are “hear”? The word you should have used is “here”. Maybe “Bev” should improve the Peabody Public School’s use of the English language and have more spelling bees.

• anonymous January 9, 2013 at 10:42 am #

This is kind of crass wouldn’t you say. John Slattery has not said or done anything to either the Griffin-Dunne campaign or Beverly herself.

13. Bob Croce January 8, 2013 at 9:13 pm #

Before this gets a little out of control, I’d like to ask all those making comments here to please try and keep it constructive, and not make it personal. It’s OK to debate the merits of the candidates you support, but I don’t want to see us down rolling in the mud here.

• ralph smith January 8, 2013 at 9:40 pm #

Hey Bob, where were u when everyone was kicking the crap out of Anne Manning-Martin on your January 3rd post. They were degrading her by comparing her food and you had nothing to say then?

• Thomas Paine January 8, 2013 at 9:49 pm #

Good point, Ralph. Bob had no problem when people compared Anne to food, but when they question his favored potential candidate (that he was sitting next to last night, the guy he voted for, the guy whose campaign his co-host worked on) he seems a little sensitive. Bob, I get your point about not rolling in mud. That being said, please be consistent. Your bias is showing, just as it did on YMTC. Sorry, it did. If you intended to be unbiased on your show you should have disclosed your support for Slattery and Jarvis’ campaign work on the show where you discussed your candidate at the beginning of these shows. Same disclosures apply to this site, which you have done above. So, thank you, finally, for the disclosure.

• Bob Croce January 8, 2013 at 9:51 pm #

But go back and check again. I did ask people to watch themselves and keep it civil in that Jan. 3rd comments string just like I did here. In fact, I even threatened to delete comments that went over the line in that post. So … you are incorrect.

• Thomas Paine January 8, 2013 at 10:00 pm #

With respect to “two” commentators. Not the 80%, nor the majority of the name calling. Please, all I am asking for is consistency, fairness, honesty and transparency. I am not asking for an argument over semantics.

• Bob Croce January 8, 2013 at 10:09 pm #

But again, I didn’t work for the Slattery campaign for Senate. I only voted for him. I still challenge you to tell me specific things I said on the show in support for John over Mary Ellen. As for who I sat with last night: Dick was sitting closer to Mr. Slattery, yet Dick is supporting Beverley Dunne. By the way, I also last night had a warm exchange with Dave Gravel, and my old rival Dave Gamache. And even was seen having a nice conversation with Senator Joan Lovely. What does sitting next to someone have to do with anything? We are, after all, supposed to be civilized humans. Correct?

14. Peabody politics January 8, 2013 at 9:49 pm #

Ok…so let’s change up the subject here a bit. I heard yesterday that Dave Gamache is starting to put the word out there that he will not be seeking re-election in Ward 5. Who can we expect on the ballot next November? Could the owner of the “Eye”, be interested in the seat in which he resides?

Who else? Any one want to announce their candidacy out there?

• Bob Croce January 8, 2013 at 9:56 pm #

The owner of the Eye has heard the same thing, and is indeed thinking about it as we speak. But it’s also VERY early to be talking about the city election, especially when we have a special election for state rep on the front burner. Trust me, I’ll definitely announce it here if and when I jump into the fray.

15. Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

You are the only candidate that I know of. Looks like its yours to win if you are interested.

• Bob Croce January 8, 2013 at 10:24 pm #

That’s never the case when there is an open ward seat. There will be several candidates, for sure.

• Peabody politics January 8, 2013 at 10:38 pm #

Declare your candidacy early and create the “vibe” , hope Slattery jumps into the rep race. I live in ward 4 and will support him .

• Anonymous January 9, 2013 at 1:19 pm #

Not true, there is another that has wanted to run for sometime that will be putting their name in…One only has to look at the shadows of others to know who this is…

• Peabody politics January 9, 2013 at 2:21 pm #

What race?

• Anonymous January 10, 2013 at 6:07 am #

Ward 5 race it sounds like if you read the comments…

16. the Outfront Guy* January 21, 2013 at 6:43 pm #

OG says…Harry B !! HARRY B!.. better watch out…your buddy Teflon Ted wants to put turf fields up at the high school….what is he thinking???

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. ‘You Make The Call’ back tonight for first live show of 2013 « Eye on Peabody - January 9, 2013

[...] There’s a lot to talk about tonight, including the special election for State Rep.  Dick and I will also discuss our impressions of Monday night’s State of the City address by Mayor Bettencourt. [...]

2. Tune in tonight to first ‘You Make The Call’ show of 2013 « Eye on Peabody - January 9, 2013