Moutsoulas will run in state rep special election; take our poll

2 Jan

We welcome 2013 with the news of a new announced candidate in the yet-to-be-announced special election to fill the Peabody State Rep seat left open with the passing of Joyce Spilliotis.

The Eye has learned that former Ward 3 Peabody City Councilor Jim Moutsoulas has made it known that he will pull nomination papers and run once the State Legislature sets the dates for what is expected to be a special election in the spring.

Moutsoulas, we’ve learned, will run as a Democrat, meaning he would join another announced candidate, Peabody School Committee member Beveley Dunne in a Democratic Primary.  The other announced candidates at this point are Councilor At-Large Dave Gravel, who will reportedly run as an independent, and Kosma Evangelidis. who told the Boston Globe he would run as a Republican.

In addition to serving as Ward 3 Councilor, Mousoulas has made unsuccessful runs for councilor at-large and mayor.

At this stage, we’d like to get your take on who you feel has the edge in the Democratic primary, if it were to be only between Dunne and Moutsoulas, so please take our poll.

About these ads

40 Responses to “Moutsoulas will run in state rep special election; take our poll”

1. East Ender January 2, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

If it’s between him and Beverly, I think Beverly wins the primary with 99.5% of the vote. Ever met him? He is a jerk and a joke.

2. the Outfront Guy* January 2, 2013 at 5:29 pm #

OG says…Dunne wins in a landslide if it’s just the two of them….why is Gravel running as in Independent?? will that really matter to the Bright City electorate?

• The Insider January 2, 2013 at 6:21 pm #

Gravel is currently “unenrolled” and you have to be enrolled for at least 90 days before an election is held so at this point it is somewhat of a timing issue although he also gets a :free pass” to the final election

3. Anonymous January 2, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

Shouldnt your heroine Bevy be beating Demo easy in this poll? Looks like other poll you did, Bob. I guess this one is not coming out the way you wanted either. Gravel is going to win this thing easy. You can push Dunn all you want. Dunn is all done already. Sorry, Bob

4. Danielle January 2, 2013 at 8:15 pm #

I do not think this poll is scientific but Beverley would beat him by a lot if they are the only ones in the primary. I would as a Bev supporter though like to see her do well here. It is a little concerning right now although it could change

5. Anonymous January 2, 2013 at 8:24 pm #

Is Anne Manning getting in? She wins easy if she does.

6. Bob Croce January 2, 2013 at 8:35 pm #

I believe “Insider” is correct. At this point, you need to already be a registered Democrat to run in the Democratic primary for this one. I believe Ms. Manning is currently registered as “unenrolled,” which would mean that she would have to run as an independent. If I’m wrong here, someone please feel free to correct me.

7. Anonymous January 3, 2013 at 7:29 am #

I thought she had more support than this. moutsoulas is not a competitive candidate. This should no be close. Something is wrong

8. Bob Croce January 3, 2013 at 10:36 am #

Please keep in mind that the poll is not “scientific.” It’s really just to get the conversation going at this point.

9. Anonymous January 3, 2013 at 11:20 am #

You are only saying it is not scientific ONLY BECAUSE your girl Bevvy is getting embarrassed by it right now. Demo is not a strong candidate. If she can not beat him badly in your stupid poll how is she going to beat Gravel?

10. Anonymous January 3, 2013 at 11:28 am #

So Muttsoolasses 4 total supporters each voted 5 times each. This poll tells us nothing. It is only for fun and amusements. Beverley would kill Demo in a primary and he knows it.

• As Eye See It January 5, 2013 at 10:26 am #

If these are going to be our only 2 choices – something is very wrong. Neither one of these candidates is worthy of my vote. I say the independant wins in the end if it comes down to only these 2 poor choices.

11. Anonymous January 3, 2013 at 11:40 am #

I think U can only vote 1 time per person.

12. Harry Birmingham January 5, 2013 at 10:52 am #

At least the two candidates have the guts to run for office and have made it known. To you being the critics of them I would ask that you run and or get behind some one who is the person of your choice who will do the job or be quite about the runners for the office. I lean to no candidate with my now living out side of the city but my hopes for the eventual elected one is that they do the job for the majority of those they will represent.

• Bob Croce January 5, 2013 at 11:13 am #

I agree with Harry on this one. If someone out there thinks they know of better candidates, then they should try and convince those people to run. Having been there myself and knowing first-hand how hard it is to put yourself out there and run for office, I could never bring myself to be critical of anyone for putting their name on a ballot.

The choice for everyone is pretty simple and straight forward here: either you get someone you like to run, or you have just four choices. 1. Vote for one of those who make it to the ballot; 2. write in someone else; or 3. leave it blank. There’s a fourth option, not vote at all, but then that would make you a lousy citizen, IMO.

My hunch here is that you will at least get a choice, since I’m going to predict that there are four candidates on the final ballot come April 2.

Also, in response to “As Eye See It” … who would you like to see jump into this race on the Democratic side? Instead of just slamming Mrs. Dunne and Jim Moutsoulas, who do you want to run? People are definitely free to use this blog to try and lobby someone to jump in.

• As Eye See It January 6, 2013 at 7:32 pm #

This is a short race that does not leave a person who works in the private sector the opportunity to campaign. These are winter months – go to work in the dark – come home in the dark. Dunne supposedly is self employed as is Gravel. So it is not as simple and straightforward as you claim, with that said, there will probably be a lot more choices in the next year and a half when the term is up.

13. the Outfront Guy* January 5, 2013 at 2:41 pm #

OG says…how about some of our long time City Council members? is Dave Gamache a force to reckon with? how about Jim Liacos ? would Slattery be an interesting candidate? where is Lou Perullo when you need him?

14. Bob Croce January 5, 2013 at 3:09 pm #

OG, Dave Gamache isn’t a resident of the district. His address is in Ward 5, Prec. 2. Jim Liacos might not even run again for city council. He’s rumored to be leaning toward retiring from politics. Lou Perullo? Are you living in 2001 again, OG?

15. Harry Birmingham January 5, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

Mr. Croce, I’m glad to see you agree with me in what I had to say. That fellow who blogs as “As Eye see it” and that ever more famous anonymous OG should try throwing there names out there for the up coming ballot. The problem with their doing that is their identities would be finally known, or would they? They do have a lot to say about most every subject published here and on the Pea. Patch. . As you know I have had asked one or both to run for office for many of my own reasons that were published when I asked them here and on a now defunct site . May be they will find a candidate who will do the job of the majority in Peabody if that person were to be elected . JMHO is all.

16. the Outfront Guy* January 6, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

OG says..fear not Batman OG knows that our beloved Gamache and on the way out Liacos are not viable candidates! nice to get Harry B all riled up again though!

17. Harry Birmingham January 6, 2013 at 4:39 pm #

Gee!! Mr. Croce did I get this OG screwball all upset and riled again acknowledging your message of your agreeing with me about his running for office instead of hiding behind his anonymous name[s]? I ask you because I already said I do not want to answer his self serving spew any more. My reasons are because he wont admit to who he is and the negativeness of some of his comments that he makes about the city. Ex. He says one thing then tries to cover his back side by changing his already made statements contrary to what he writes. He glorifies other municipals and then says he is satisfied living in the city and yet his comments are negative to it with his”As eye see it” mentality. Most every thing he says is his want to have things today,tomorrow ,and if not, yesterday.He doesn’t seem to understand that he has choices to make and one is to make up his mind ,if he has one, about what he wants. Sorry to bring you into this but I see no other choice because you own the site and have the power to have one or both of us removed from using the site to express our opinions. As I’ve already said to him its not about me or him ,it is about others as well — but — most of all Peabody.

18. the Outfront Guy* January 6, 2013 at 5:22 pm #

OG says…I have glorified other municipalities because they have had more obvious success than we have had here in Bright City revitalizing the downtown area? I have no right to a personal and completely valid opinion that change takes too long in local government?? and now you have the audacity to suggest that my free speech rights should be rescinded by our faithful blog editor? and then you say that OG should reveal his real identity even though this is not a requirement for all blog posters?? you need to get out for a walk on one of our upcoming milder days Mr Harry B

19. Bob Croce January 6, 2013 at 7:52 pm #

Harry, why in the world would I want either one of you “removed?” You’re both playing by the rules here. I even, most of the time, enjoy your debates. It’s a clash between a REAL outfront guy named Harry Birmingham, and the original Outfront Guy, who like some super hero, wishes to remain anonymous. Love him or hate him, I guess we all have to at least respect the Outfront Guy for his staying power. Harry, this guy has been around commentating on Peabody politics for like the past 12 years.

OG started out as a frequent contributor to the old PCBG message board. Then he showed up on the other now forgotten blogs, and even ran one of his own. Now, he shows up here, which I view as sort of a compliment. Harry, OG is like a bad penny. But he’s OUR bad penny.

Carry on, gentlemen.

20. the Outfront Guy* January 6, 2013 at 9:31 pm #

OG says…thanks Batman….I have certainly been called worst….perhaps Mr Harry B doesn’t full realize my legendary staying power of viewing and observing the local Bright City political landscape….on another post you talk about name recognition rather than issues being the key ingredient to the local political theatre here and Mr Harry B simply cannot grasp the fact that OG is not going to entertain any thoughts about running for local office….OG is quite content being an informed observer…and much like you OG has always respected those who do decide to crawl into the ring and run for office…serving in local office requires a tremendous TIME committment and not everyone has a life/work situation that will permit it….OG has been disappointed with many local election results where we seem to keep re-electing uninspiring and weak performance…and OG is on the record many times as scolding many local voters for not being more informed and aware of local issues….if I felt that more Bright City residents truly gave a damn then I may have a whole new outlook…but they do not…all you have to do is look at our local election turnouts…there is all the proof that you need.. and that’s how OG sees it.

21. Harry Birmingham January 7, 2013 at 8:28 am #

Mr. Croce, I asked if you wanted one or both of us removed because It isn’t all about him and me. Your readers haven’t made comments on our “debates” of ,shall I say, truth and I wonder why that is. This site has been thus far is the best one that I’ve ever read to have come out of Peabody. What does bother me is that he,OG, can be so much a big mouth being critical and doing nothing about what he is being critical of. His style is all his own that is for sure and what with it being hidden in his anonymous way isn’t being up front. In my thinking it is one of the reasons he closed shop on his own site. He can’t say he is to busy and had to close it if he can devote so much time with his diatribes here and on the Peabody Patch. One of his former readers put him on the spot about his “friends”,[ close ones at that so he said,] he claimed to have an in with but he never answered the questions put to him . That is why I feel he is just a big mouth with no real truth or meaning for what he says and when he tries to influence others to do his bidding”as eye see it”. [His quote not mine] When you say he is original he certainly is !! When you say you think it is a compliment for him to show up here after closing his own site my thinking is he is using your site to continue on with his having failed in his own site. But hey! what do I know after all it is only my opinion alone . In my view he is the bad penny you have fully described. I thank the heavens above that he said he will not run for office but just with his foolish thoughts and opinions of wanting things before today ,today, and yesterday . He says he is disappointed with the past election results and the voters lack luster ways of electing good candidates but I see no push on his part to accomplish what he says. If what he has said in that regard so far then shame on him for not coming out fully name and all to do so. If not he should then keep his trap shut like his old site. He can’t say or use the same thing of me because I have no voting right in Peabody. Again, it is not all about me or him here so lets give your readers a chance to express themselves with their opinions.

22. the Outfront Guy* January 7, 2013 at 6:46 pm #

OG says…to tell you the truth Mr Harry B I suspect that many readers are weary of your tireless rants about OG’s ‘attitude’ and ‘negativity’ and your obsession with the fact that if anyone complains about anything politically then they need to shut up and just run for office themself…all while you sit there in your massaging recliner chair up there in God’s country! isn’t there a local NH blog that captures your interest ?….maybe you can get Sean Fitz elected Governor up there if you throw all of your energy into that direction instead of letting local legend OG get under your skin down here when he says something bad about your beloved home town….thank you lucky stars I still give a damn about things despite the turtle-like pace of change and progress around here…now our fearless Editor keeps me in check with his promises that things are looking up…that progress looms on the horizon and I will buy into that optimism but not for too long….I am perfectly willing to give Teflon Ted a chance to do his thing…but you know what Harry B? soon my kids will be thru the school system and then all I will care about is keeping our taxes nice and low just like you used to love…and that’s how OG sees it!!

23. Harry Birmingham January 7, 2013 at 9:24 pm #

To the readers of this site, If you are weary of my so called rants about the way this person who posts anonymously please say do so. As I have pointed out he wants every thing he writes about today if not yesterday. The proof is when he says “As eye see it” after he states what he writes about. As I said before he doesn’t understand the RED TAPE and it uses to protect and insure the issue [s] at hand require close scrutiny for the city and its tax payers. further, he complains of complacent residents of the city and then expects the city officials to do his wants and bidding right away if not sooner. Having being tired of his ways I said if he were tired of the city and its way of voting that he should run for office and or lead the way for changes he wants. That would make him the hero and the salvation of the ” Dark City or Bright City” he has used to describe the city . I have many interests but no massage chair and ,again,he throws out a name that I should help run for office here in N.H. Now how can I do that when that person lives in Peabody, Mass. where he can only vote or run for office. That should make you readers realize what a stupid statement he has made. It seems to be not unlike his on going rants of what he wants for Peabody. With his self giving ” legend ” status I’ll let that be your decision to make although I highly doubt that designation he has made for himself . As for the EDITOR [owner and administrator] keeping him in check that is not true. He just says he welcomes the debates and he has said he agrees with me more than he does this anonymous blow hard and welcomes his opinions. I see nothing wrong with that do you readers agree with me? The mayor and officials are doing what they can to make the city a better place to live in in all respects but Mr. Anonymous ,OG, doesn’t really accept that it does take time to do these things that are of most every ones wishes and not just his as he wants them done,– yesterday,today and tomorrow. Contrary to what he has said about taxes etc., up to now in his past writings he says that when his children are out of the school system he will then care about keeping the taxes low . I do find that as being contrary don’t you readers? All one has to do is look at what has been written under all the subjects of this site and the Peabody Patch to see who is the real winner is of these “debates” . I guess he doesn’t like my being aware and exposing his thoughts of the city and his political thinking of its running after all. Now lets all make room for his covering of his back side response!!

• Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 8:55 am #

With all due respect, It would be a huge service to all of us if you stopped rambling on. I repect your right to post your thoughts and opinions but you ramble on and on and on – not making any sense.

24. the Outfront Guy* January 8, 2013 at 7:32 am #

OG says…sorry for my lack of patience because apparently time and the full acceptance of red tape is not an issue to you when it comes to political solutions…. this reality is why you are really part of the problem and not part of the solution…you are very content to give things time to work themselves out…you seem to be counting pats on the back on the back from our fearless editor whereas I continue to type on as the independent commentator that I have always been….and I am not quite sure about your Peabody Patch references since OG is not a participant in that venue…now let me ask you this…. does everyone who writes a Letter to the Editor need to run for political office? does every citizen who is not content with the current state of affairs need to run for office to become the fixer or the solution? how do you know what I am involved with or not involved with? how do you know if I was sitting thirty feet away from Teflon Ted last night down at city hall? you are very intrigued with OG’s true identity more than anyone else who posts on here…I wonder why that is so and I wonder why that really matters so much to you…maybe the truth hurts and you’d truly love the know who the Voice of Reason is?

25. Harry Birmingham January 8, 2013 at 8:55 am #

This anonymous OG doesn’t seem to know when he beat. He admits to not having the patience to get through the RED TAPE that is necessary to be sure the city and its residents get the full value of what they need or want for their city . [ And he says I'm the problem and not the solution, hoho, haha!!] He claims I’m counting the pats on my back from the editor — who is the editor ? I’m aware of the administrator and owner of this site using his right to express himself towards his opinions of me and Mr. Anonymous. I can’t help it if he sees to or tends to agree with me over Mr. Anonymous. If I made any mistake about his having written any thing at all on the Peabody Patch then I stand corrected and do apologize. It had to have been on his now non existing failed site he had prior to using this one to babble on.– No not every one who writes a letter to the editor has to run for office nor do they have to be the fixer or solution . What he forgets is that this site isn’t the Salem Snooze where one writes “letters to the editor”. I think he is confused don’t you readers? I could care less about what he is or not involved in, however, I believe he should make himself known if he has so many opinions and wants them done to his satisfaction … only. How would I know if he were sitting within thirty feet of the mayor or sitting in the balcony near or next to Mr. Croce and Mr.Jarvis , would you with his being Mr. Anonymous? The truth doesn’t usually hurt unless he is the one the truth has been directed to and has hit a sore spot in my or your doing so . As for the “voice of reason” he makes or claims he is then where is it and his when it is not reasonable to want things that he does yesterday,today, and tomorrow and fails to see that things such as RED TAPE are necessary to get things done.– I do see where not one reader here has rebutted my comments of or on Mr. Anonymous thus far so that says a lot about him and I thank them for that. Again … JMHO

26. Harry Birmingham January 8, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

Anon. @8:55am , What I can’t understand is this. How in the world do you blog at the same time as I did at 8:55 am? Also, what really amazes me is that your post is posted before OG’s posting at 7:22 am on the same day. Could it be a time warp or the sites computer making a mistake? Although I find or I at least think that it is impossible due to the time and day being posted as they come in to the site in order of sending the message. Like Red Buttons used to say “Strange things are happening!”

27. Bob Croce January 8, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

Harry,
    i’m not following you here. What “strange” things are happening with the comments? That Anon at 8:55 a.m. this morning looks to me like he is responding to your message from the day before.

28. Harry Birmingham January 8, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

Bob, When posting any written post that comes to the site when you send it unless the administrator reads it first to eliminate it via delay for acceptable or unacceptable meaning and content. – That doesn’t appear to be the case here. -The order of posting doesn’t make sense in the order they were posted to me.- There is over an hour spacing between them all . The times of posting show this when you consider the order of the three times posted according to being sent for publishing. How can my fellow debater,OG, send his message when he did at 7:32 am and then after that mine at 8:55 am and anon. at 8:55 am before OG’s was sent? – Thus the ” Ahh!! YES !!!!!!! Strange things are happening as was said in song by the late comedian Red Buttons.

29. Bob Croce January 8, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

No, because when you use the “reply” button to post, it goes under the comment/post you are replying to. Check it out. That’s what happened here. The comments are not pre-moderated meaning they post automatically with no review.

30. Harry Birmingham January 8, 2013 at 7:18 pm #

Thanks for the explanation of how it happened.I’m not all that computer knowledgeable as you now know.

31. the Outfront Guy* January 8, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

OG says…let me enlighten you on another reality…when you get right down to it you are a huge OG fan…I am a huge part of your day because my refreshing tell it like it is approach is entertaining…admit it and let’s get past this hyped up debate over sillyness.

32. Harry Birmingham January 9, 2013 at 8:08 am #

Readers, A fan doesn’t find fault or is critical of a person,thing,or place. I certainly am not a fan of OG. He does have the right to tell it like it is as he says and thinks. I have that same right and do express it openly in every way I can to enlighten and not to entertain only. He claims it to be “sillyness” and yet he keeps coming back to get me to comment on his diatribes of his own doings. I have said I will not respond to him again and that is why I am telling you readers what I have to say instead. May be he should do the same or just go away like his defunct site has. If he wants to stop the “sillyness” then he should do as I have to ignore him with any more direct answers to his rants.

33. the Outfront Guy* January 9, 2013 at 5:24 pm #

OG says…OG is not going anywhere Mr Harry B….been at this way too long to be scared off by your bluster…please ignore me and post on issues that you would like to post on…your input is welcomed…don’t let this blogging legend get under your skin so easily.

34. Harry Birmingham January 9, 2013 at 6:34 pm #

Readers , Wow!!! is he ever self important with his self imposed legend status! I hope he is sincere about us ignoring one another. After all, I’ve been doing that already by not answering his blustering answers and his usual cover his back side replies he sends out for us to read. I don’t really need his permission to write on the site because Mr. Croce has made it clear that I can already and he welcomes my commentaries. Besides he has no control of this site like he did when he had his own that went south. Who knows, with all the time he spends on this site and the Peabody Patch may be he will try to use the time to open his defunct site again.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Dates set for State Rep special election « Eye on Peabody - January 3, 2013

[...] So far, the only declared Democratic candidates known to the Eye are School Committee member Beverley Griffin Dunne, and former Ward 3 Councilor Jim Moutsoulas. If both Dunn and Moutsoulas return their papers, it would necessitate a Democratic Primary. [...]